Thread: tray disappreared?

Red face tray disappreared?

Hello:

I've installed "alltray" to have a system tray in task bar for several of my program. It works fine in all previous openSUSE, but it doesn't show any tray in openSUSE Leap..... Meanwhile, I also noticed that dropbox tray also gone. The tray of Skype seems to be all right....

I am just wondering, how can we solve this problem?

thx a lot

Default Re: tray disappreared?

Quote Originally Posted by albumns View Post
    I've installed "alltray" to have a system tray in task bar for several of my program. It works fine in all previous openSUSE, but it doesn't show any tray in openSUSE Leap..... Meanwhile, I also noticed that dropbox tray also gone. The tray of Skype seems to be all right....

I am just wondering, how can we solve this problem?
    What desktop are you using?

If it's KDE Plasma 5, you probably see http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=953954, which I cannot reproduce on my 13.2 system (with the latest Plasma5/KF5 packages).
    Are the icons transparent/blank? Are the invisible icons still fully functional, i.e. you can right-click on them and get a context menu?

Skype is a Qt4 application and uses the "new" (implemented in KDE since 2009...) SNI system tray protocol, if sni-qt-32bit is installed at least.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 27-Nov-2015 at 07:44.

I am using Leap 42.1 KDE, Plasma 5.

I don't think the tray is transparent, for instance I use alltray to handle my thunderbird and normally it should be an icon of thunderbird in the task bar. Previously, I was using openSUSE 13.2, and everything works fine. Recently I update to 42.1, and the problem occurs.....

I submit my case to the bug thread.....However, my skype is all right in Leap 42.1.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    What desktop are you using?

If it's KDE Plasma 5, you probably see http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=953954, which I cannot reproduce on my 13.2 system (with the latest Plasma5/KF5 packages).
    Are the icons transparent/blank? Are the invisible icons still fully functional, i.e. you can right-click on them and get a context menu?

Skype is a Qt4 application and uses the "new" (implemented in KDE since 2009...) SNI system tray protocol, if sni-qt-32bit is installed at least.

Quote Originally Posted by albumns View Post
    I don't think the tray is transparent, for instance I use alltray to handle my thunderbird and normally it should be an icon of thunderbird in the task bar.
    I didn't say that the tray was transparent.
    I was asking if the Thunderbird icon is transparent, i.e. there's just a blank space instead of the icon.

Can you please post a screenshot to demonstrate the problem?

Previously, I was using openSUSE 13.2, and everything works fine. Recently I update to 42.1, and the problem occurs.....
    In 13.2 you probably used KDE4, which still supports old-style tray icons directly.

Or did you use Plasma5 on 13.2?

I submit my case to the bug thread.....However, my skype is all right in Leap 42.1.
    Please don't (yet).
    I'm not sure at all at the moment that you have the same issue.
    As it seems to happen with *all* old-style icons and is not specific to certain applications, it doesn't help really if you add it to the bug report anyway...
    Once this is fixed, it should be fixed for *all* icons/applications.

And as mentioned, skype being a Qt4 application it uses SNI, not old-style icons, if sni-qt-32bit is installed.
    And there's no problem with SNI.

Plasma5 actually doesn't support/show old-style icons at all, but we added xembed-sni-proxy (actually it will be officially part of Plasma 5.5.0 though) that converts them on-the-fly to SNI. It should work in general, but something strange is happening in Leap it seems. I don't know yet whether it's the applications actually render blank icons, or some problem in xembed-sni-proxy...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 27-Nov-2015 at 13:43.