Thread: YAST in XFCE password prompt with xdg-su in xterm, no pkexec

Question YAST in XFCE password prompt with xdg-su in xterm, no pkexec

Hi everyone,

Normally under Gnome or Cinnamon in openSUSE, opening the YAST control center or the software manager from the menu brings up a root password prompt, which I *think* is pkexec. But under XFCE or another alternative desktop environment, it brings up an xterm with xdg-su asking for the password. It works, but it's ugly and the xterm has to stay open as long as YAST is running. Is there a way to make it use a more user-friendly and aesthetic password prompt?

Thanks!

Default Re: YAST in XFCE password prompt with xdg-su in xterm, no pkexec

Quote Originally Posted by sb56637 View Post
    Normally under Gnome or Cinnamon in openSUSE, opening the YAST control center or the software manager from the menu brings up a root password prompt, which I *think* is pkexec.
    No, it's gnomesu.

But under XFCE or another alternative desktop environment, it brings up an xterm with xdg-su asking for the password. It works, but it's ugly and the xterm has to stay open as long as YAST is running. Is there a way to make it use a more user-friendly and aesthetic password prompt?
    Actually the menu entry runs xdg-su on *all* desktops (there is only one menu entry for YaST in the distribution). xdg-su tries to figure out what desktop is in use and calls an appropriate command then to switch to root (either kdesu, gnomesu, or "su -" in an xterm).
    I just checked and in fact it uses gnomesu on XFCE as well, only if that's not installed it falls back to "su -".

So just install gnomesu and it should be used, it's in the package libgnomesu.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 25-Nov-2015 at 13:21.

Thanks a lot wolfi323, exactly what I needed! That solved my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No, it's gnomesu.

Actually the menu entry runs xdg-su on *all* desktops (there is only one menu entry for YaST in the distribution). xdg-su tries to figure out what desktop is in use and calls an appropriate command then to switch to root (either kdesu, gnomesu, or "su -" in an xterm).
    I just checked and in fact it uses gnomesu on XFCE as well, only if that's not installed it falls back to "su -".

So just install gnomesu and it should be used, it's in the package libgnomesu.

I currently have the same issue but cannot resolve it: Leap42.1 with LXQT only opens up xdg-su...even though libgnomesu is actually installed. Calling gnomesu in a terminal opens up the dialog as expected so it should be working.

It seems to be a known bug in LXQT