Thread: Desktop Folder Widget file naming line break problem

Default Desktop Folder Widget file naming line break problem

Is there a setting somewhere that would stop the annoying linebreak that occurs with file/folder names in the desktop folder widget.
    I never saw this issue in KDE 4 but can't work out how to get rid of it in plasma 5

Font setting - General is set to Sans Serif 8 (I believe that is noto sans with the recent font pattern update) but also presents with the prev default Oxygen font.

If I reduce the font size to 7 the line break is not corrected

This only occurs in the desktop widget. Dolphin itself the line breaks are as they should be

Mark F.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 / Plasma 5.12

Default Re: Desktop Folder Widget file naming line break problem

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    Is there a setting somewhere that would stop the annoying linebreak that occurs with file/folder names in the desktop folder widget.
    I never saw this issue in KDE 4 but can't work out how to get rid of it in plasma 5
    Go into the "Folder View Settings", click on "Icons" on the left, and you should see an option to set the number of "Text lines" (below "Appearance").

Increasing the icon size might help too of course...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 25-Nov-2015 at 07:18.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Go into the "Folder View Settings", click on "Icons" on the left, and you should see an option to set the number of "Text lines" (below "Appearance").

Increasing the icon size might help too of course...
    Yes, I can reduce the lines to 1 which results in a fade out but I am then unable to view the entire name.
    Increasing the icon size also corrects the issue.
    I guess my point is > I didn't see this behaviour in KDE4 and it seems like an annoying regression in plasma 5
    I was able to display two lines of text with the same icon size and the line breaks were displayed as they should have been.
    My current workaround is to specify Droid Sans as the font
    Mark F.

Default AW: Re: Desktop Folder Widget file naming line break problem

I guess my point is > I didn't see this behaviour in KDE4 and it seems like an annoying regression in plasma 5
    KDE4 has the same behaviour. I am sitting in front of it at the moment...

I was able to display two lines of text with the same icon size and the line breaks were displayed as they should have been.
    Well, define how "they should have been".
    Normally it breaks at spaces or punctuation characters.
    If there's no space or similar where it can break, it has to break it in the middle of the word, if the text doesn't fit.

Maybe the algorithm where to break could be improved, but that's a job for the upstream developers.

But it's actually the gridsize which you don't seem to like, I suppose.
    Unfortunately that is hardcoded AFAIK, and it was hardcoded (in a similar way) in KDE4 too.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 25-Nov-2015 at 07:47.

Default Re: AW: Re: Desktop Folder Widget file naming line break problem

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, define how "they should have been".
    in KDE4 for me using either noto fonts, opensans or droid fonts the "Linskstation" & '[SMB]' were neatly broken over two lines.
    Thunderbird was neatly displayed in full on one line.

But it's actually the gridsize which you don't seem to like, I suppose.
    Unfortunately that is hardcoded AFAIK, and it was hardcoded (in a similar way) in KDE4 too.
    If it is caused by the grid size, wouldn't reducing the font size correct the line break?

I guess it may be caused due to icon size.
    If I remember correctly(?) the widget icon size (& all other icon sizes) was set in system settings in kde4 but in plasma 5 the icon size is set in folder view settings.
    Unfortunately, the next icon size up in plasma 5 is just a little big.
    In kde4 I had all icon sizes set to 32.
    But using Droid Sans at the moment for me seems satisfactory.
    Mark F.

If it is caused by the grid size, wouldn't reducing the font size correct the line break?
    Yes, but 7 points is not much smaller than 8 points.
    Actually I don't see much difference in your screenshot. It's obvious that the texts still don't fit and have to be broken (or cropped).

I guess it may be caused due to icon size.
    The icon size influences the grid size of course.

If I remember correctly(?) the widget icon size (& all other icon sizes) was set in system settings in kde4 but in plasma 5 the icon size is set in folder view settings.
    No. The folderview plasmoid had its own settings in KDE4 too, and ignored the icon size from systemsettings.

But using Droid Sans at the moment for me seems satisfactory.
    Of course the font can make a difference too. The same text might be thinner or wider with different fonts.