Thread: How can I hibernate/suspend from command line?

Default How can I hibernate/suspend from command line?

hi====How can I hibernate my laptop using command line?
    Dual-boot openSUSE and win10
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed ; Plasma 5.15.x:" LVM encrypted"
    My Partition: GPT and UEFI system
    Hp ProBook 450 G1

Default Re: How can I hibernate/suspend from command line?

Code:
    systemctl hibernate
    or
    Code:
    systemctl suspend
    respectively.

This is related to Hibernate.

I had 5 swap files (5 disks, 1 swap/disk) shown in the fstab. The installer configured all 5, but I kept the one swap file that is on the same disk as Leap 4.2. I removed the other swap files from the /etc/fstab and redeployed them.

Now on a fresh boot or a reboot, I have to wait 1.5 minutes for a timeout for a swap file that is no longer in the system and also not in the /etc/fstab. If I recreate a replacement swap file, it will have a different UUID=. What to do? What to do?

I am running KDE with 8 gigs ram?

In my view, every swap file should be managed by /etc/fstab. Why should I be getting an error message for a missing swap file at boot time?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post

I had 5 swap files (5 disks, 1 swap/disk) shown in the fstab. The installer configured all 5, but I kept the one swap file that is on the same disk as Leap 4.2. I removed the other swap files from the /etc/fstab and redeployed them.

Now on a fresh boot or a reboot, I have to wait 1.5 minutes for a timeout for a swap file that is no longer in the system and also not in the /etc/fstab. If I recreate a replacement swap file, it will have a different UUID=. What to do? What to do?

In my view, every swap file should be managed by /etc/fstab. Why should I be getting an error message for a missing swap file at boot time?
    Hi
    Did you update the bootloader to point at the correct swap file (/dev/sdXn)? YaST -> System -> Bootloader and the Kernel tab.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post

You probably need to fix the disk ID in the bootloader resume line.

Yast->Bootloader->Boot Loader Options

Similar to this:
    Code:
    resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD7500BPKX-00HPJT0_WD-WXW1E64PAJ74-part4 splash=silent showopts
    It probably does not match the ID of the new swap file, but instead still has the ID of the old swap file. Replace the part (in bold, above, in the case of my system) of the swap location ID to match the new swap location.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.