Thread: Ripping CD's using K3B, vlc media player

Default Ripping CD's using K3B, vlc media player

Opensuse 13.2, KDE

I tried to rip a CD using K3B. It says I need a MP3 decoder. I install VLC media player. I still get the message, "MP3 decoder needed". However, if I click ok, K3B is able to rip those cd's.

All the CD's came out ok, but one. It makes a crackling sound at various points. When I installed the multi-media package on previous install of opensuse, I never had this problem.

Can someone tell me what the problem might be? Thanks.

Default Re: Ripping CD's using K3B, vlc media player

Quote Originally Posted by lord_valarian View Post
    I tried to rip a CD using K3B. It says I need a MP3 decoder. I install VLC media player. I still get the message, "MP3 decoder needed". However, if I click ok, K3B is able to rip those cd's.
    You only need an MP3 decoder if you want to *burn* an AudioCD out of MP3 files.

And installing VLC doesn't help with K3B. You'd need to install k3b-codecs.

Or ignore that warning, there should be a "Do not show again" checkbox.

All the CD's came out ok, but one. It makes a crackling sound at various points. When I installed the multi-media package on previous install of opensuse, I never had this problem.
    Maybe the CD is dirty or scratched, maybe it is "copy-protected", maybe your drive does not like it.

I can't think of a different reason why there should be a problem with ripping an Audio CD, especially if it worked fine with others.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 20-Nov-2015 at 16:57.

Default Ripping CD's using K3B, vlc media player

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You only need an MP3 decoder if you want to *burn* an AudioCD out of MP3 files.

And installing VLC doesn't help with K3B. You'd need to install k3b-codecs.

Or ignore that warning, there should be a "Do not show again" checkbox.

Maybe the CD is dirty or scratched, maybe it is "copy-protected", maybe your drive does not like it.

I can't think of a different reason why there should be a problem with ripping an Audio CD, especially if it worked fine with others.

I'll try cleaning the CD. Is there a way a removing the scratches from the CD?

This link to install multimedia package?
    http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php

FYI, I found a water spot on it. That was the problem.

I'll try cleaning the CD. Is there a way a removing the scratches from the CD?
    Well, not really I suppose.

This link to install multimedia package?
    http://opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php
    Yes. But actually you only need to search/install the package k3b-codecs with YaST or zypper.
    If you don't have the Packman repo already (which is essential for multimedia stuff, and gets added by above mentioned 1-click installs), you can also just add it in YaST->Software Repositories->Add->Community Repositories.

FYI, I found a water spot on it. That was the problem.
    Good.

Does VLC media player support playing DVD's?

I'm still getting that skip sound(scratch). It also happens when the system slows down. I should be able correct this problem too. Thanks to all.

Does VLC media player support playing DVD's?
    Yes.
    But you need to install libdvdcss2 for "copy-protected" DVDs.

I'll install the multi-media package with above link that should work. Thanks for the information.