System Update Applet - Doesn't Work Properly

Hi Fellow Gecko lovers,
There is a nice applet in system tray for getting and installing updates. The Case is that it checks for updates everyday (actually it seems to me several times in a day as i got 2-3 updates during my work) and in its properties i told it to check for updates only once in a month. But the app doesn’t care. It just checks for updates as it was doing (several times a day). Is that a problem for you too? How do you deal with it? What can you suggest me?
Thanks for your help and consideration :slight_smile:

System: openSUSE LEAP 42.1 standard installation, KDE Plasma 5 Desktop

There are several recent threads on this topic.

My opimion is that KDE provide their update software (PackageKit and Apper) for those unfortunates who do not use (open)SUSE, and thus do not have YaST On-line Update. I remover bo the appaer and PackageKit rpms and rely on YOU, which has always been trouble-free. Make sure that * yast2-online-updat*e and yast2-online-update-configuration and yast2-online-update-frontend packages are installed.

isn’t that “native” SUSE applet?

I am not sure ,but I thought that apper (aka Kpackagekit) and PackageKit first appeared in Fedora – they are certainly in the Red Hat/Fedora and Debian repositories.

I am talking about this applet

http://i.imgur.com/S14MKqY.png

This is a new updater apper is not in Leap

From YaST

│Name  │     │Version  │Repository                           │Size          │Architecture
│apper  │ x   │0.9.2-2.4│42.1-dvd-iso                        │     1.4 MiB│x86_64 
│apper  │      |0.9.2-2.4 │openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Oss │     1.4 MiB│x86_64

No.

It is a PackageKit frontend developed by the same people that developed plasma-nm AFAIK.
I think it was actually written for Fedora.

The name is plasma5-pk-updates btw (if you want to remove it e.g.).

PackageKit is a desktop-agnostic, cross-distribution package management system.
And it is hosted on freedesktop.org:
PackageKit - Main Page

Apper is just one of many frontends.

Apper is in Leap. It’s just not installed by default.
And as it is still a KDE4 application, the update notifier won’t work in Plasma5.
That’s the main reason why this new applet is included and installed by default instead of Apper.

The only other (KDE) option would have been Muon (Kubuntu’s updater, now officially released together with Plasma5). It provides a PackageKit backend as well meanwhile, but that had problems until recently. And it couldn’t be built on Leap because of missing dependencies.

It is available in KDE:Frameworks5 though, also for Leap. But I don’t know if that would work better regarding the reported problem in the first post.
Also check that you don’t have Apper installed (it won’t be removed if you upgraded from 13.2 or earlier).
It might actually be Apper that checks for updates, and as both are PackageKit frontends, PackageKit would notify the new applet about the updates which would display them then.

everything is strange now for me haha
I’ll just keep it. Not a big deal
Thank you ALL !

Apper is in Leap. It’s just not installed by default.
And as it is still a KDE4 application, the update notifier won’t work in Plasma5.
That’s the main reason why this new applet is included and installed by default instead of Apper.

It is available in KDE:Frameworks5 though, also for Leap. But I don’t know if that would work better regarding the reported problem in the first post.
Also check that you don’t have Apper installed (it won’t be removed if you upgraded from 13.2 or earlier).
It might actually be Apper that checks for updates, and as both are PackageKit frontends, PackageKit would notify the new applet about the updates which would display them then.

That is true. I installed Apper for only one reason; That I can Install rpm directly from browser (or with double click in Dolphin) with Apper installer as default application (same as gdebi package installer in Debian-based distros). Maybe there is another way to do this, but I find this way as the easiest.

On my main desktop, I disabled that update applet (in system tray settings).

My normal practice is to reboot twice a week (to boot into Windows so that its anti-virus can update). So I use “zypper up” just before a reboot. I don’t use that update applet.

On a second test system, I did leave the update applet in place in tray settings, just to see what it does. You are right, that it seems to check several times a day. Also, it tells me that there’s an error, and that I should look at the full error message, but it never tells me where to find the full error message.

I’m pretty sure that the error is because my install media (usb) is still enabled as a repo, but normally not plugged in. I set that repo to not auto-refresh. And “zypper up” and “Yast only update” seem happy about that, and only prompts me when they want to install something from the USB. But the update applet complains without details, but then continues and handles update properly anyway.