Thread: Crash upon opening remote file thru samba

Unhappy Crash upon opening remote file thru samba

Hi,

After install Leap (KDE) i get a crash on Dolphin when trying to open a remote network file... here's what i'm doing:

I have a remote file in a windows pc called file.xls

I open Dolphin and navigate thru the local Network into that remote windows directory.
    I open file.xls (whit LibreOffice) change something and save it.
    After closing the file it asks me if i want to upload the file and, after answering "yes", it asks me i i want to overwrite the file (Which i also answer "yes").

The file, indeed, gets updated. However, Dolphin stops responding and ends up in a crash!

I'm able to open other instances of Dolphin while it does not crash and they work ok. Also, i've tried a direct link to the file but that seems to crash/freeze plasmashell as a whole.

(This happens also on tumbleweed)

Does anyone have this issue? Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks

Default Re: Crash upon opening remote file thru samba

BTW am Gnome user ;-o

Perhaps try copy the file.xls across to your local folder, learn if same happens when you work on it locally.

Perhaps after copy it to local folder clamscan it for bugs...

My poor memory thinks similar problem may be why I avoid editing files through Samba, usually (except a few very small plain text files) do copy files across then edit new local copy, then copy back to replace the original file.

Quote Originally Posted by paulparker View Post
    BTW am Gnome user ;-o

Perhaps try copy the file.xls across to your local folder, learn if same happens when you work on it locally.

Perhaps after copy it to local folder clamscan it for bugs...

My poor memory thinks similar problem may be why I avoid editing files through Samba, usually (except a few very small plain text files) do copy files across then edit new local copy, then copy back to replace the original file.
    Hi,

thanks for your reply .

I can work the file locally whitout problems and i'm sure it's not virus or any error whit the file.

It used to work ok in the previous version...

However, i need it to work remotely (there is no way around that except copy > change > save > replace!)

(and BTW i only mentioned the DE because i thought it could be relevant...)

Thanks

Hi,

Today, on Tumbleweed, i noticed that Dolphin, in fact, does not crash (don't know about Leap, for now...)!!! It just take a large amount to time (about 10min) to save the file to the remote directory.

Also, i keep getting the error that "KDEInit can't execute '/usr/lib64/libexec/kf5/kioexec'"... anyone has any other ideas solutions for this?

tks

Well,

someone got luckier than me. This thread is, apparently, a duplicate from the post "LibreOffice 5 freezes system" ( https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...freezes-system ) which indicates this has been fixed and will be available... eventually