Thread: Problematic behavior of KMail and Akonadi

Default Problematic behavior of KMail and Akonadi

Hello,

I did a clean install of openSUSE Leap 42.1 on a new disk, and imported all the old maildirs from openSUSE 13.2 into KMail (ca. 15 GiB). KMail (5.01) works, but I have certain problems with it. Because of that, I have to either restart Akonadi or kill KMail, sometimes both, in order to keep it working.

Sometimes, when I click on a mail, it doesn't appear in the preview pane (mail being transferred message lasts forever). Restarting Akonadi helps and after that everything forks fine for certain time.

Sometimes, KMail just freezes, and doesn't react to anything. Then I kill it and restart KMail (sometimes I also restart Akonadi due to the previously described behavior).

Please advise how to try to solve the problem.

Kind regards,

Samim

Default Re: Problematic behavior of KMail and Akonadi

This is not an answer to your question but it might help understand Akonadi and its relationship with Kmail. Although the blog is old, it was very helpful to me in understanding the concepts behind Akonadi. I hope it is still valid because it is very well written and to the point. See:

Akonadi, Nepomuk and Strigi Explained

Cordially,
    TwoHoot
    #1 - openSUSE Leap 42.3; AMD A6-3670; Radeon(tm) HD; 8gb memory; 500 gb HD; KDE 5.8.7
    #2 - openSUSE Leap 42.2; Toshiba Satellite L70-A (Dual Boot - Win10); KDE 5.8.3
    #3 - openSUSE Leap 42.3; AMD A6-6400K; Radeon HD; 8gb memory; 1tb HD; KDE 5.8.7

Default Re: Problematic behavior of KMail and Akonadi

I could not get Kmail to work until I noticed that the DVD installs the KDE4 version of pim/kontact/notes etc. Once I upgraded them to the KDE5 versions from the openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Oss repository it seemed to work. But its early days.
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH