Thread: I want the program to encrypt the drive is visible in opensuse and windows?

Default I want the program to encrypt the drive is visible in opensuse and windows?

hi====I want the program to encrypt the drive is visible in opensuse and windows 8 (i don’t want encrypt folder i want encrypt drive)====Except truecrypt and VeraCrypt (veracrypt is very slow for mount encrypt derive)====What program do you recommend ?====i use konqueror for send thread (disable java script) I do not know why the lines to the stick.No separate line
    Dual-boot openSUSE and win10
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed ; Plasma 5.15.x:" LVM encrypted"
    My Partition: GPT and UEFI system
    Hp ProBook 450 G1

Default Re: I want the program to encrypt the drive is visible in opensuse and windows?

You don't encrypt drives you encrypt partition on the drive. Don't let MS calling partitions drives confuse you.

As a general rule you need to think about an do this before installing things.

Blog Entries

Default Re: I want the program to encrypt the drive is visible in opensuse and windows?

Some apps will encrypt an entire drive, in those cases you are prompted for credentials on boot approx the same time the BIOS is loaded (and before the normal bootloader starts).

In those cases, it doesn't matter what OS or file systems might exist on the disk, the drive is fully encrypted.

I don't know of any FOSS solutions other than what you've listed.
    On the other hand, I haven't investigated for many years... Maybe someone has created a FOSS project based on TPM like MS Windows Bitlocker. You can try going down this Wikipedia list... I recommend you trim the list down to only projects with relatively recent modifications/submissions
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ption_software

TSU

Blog Entries

I am currently using an encrypted LVM. There is a smallish unencrypted "/boot", and everything else for Leap is in the encrypted LVM.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

yes but what the OP wants is to have one encryption for both Windows and Linux. To encrypt the full drive you would need a program that runs before any boot and sits between the BIOS any OS and the hardware. This at the very lest would interfere with normal booting.

For Linux I'd set up a boot partition and use an encrypted LVM. But that would not work putting windows in the LVM I think You could just run Windows in a VM with Linux as the host inside a encrypted LVM

Default Re: I want the program to encrypt the drive is visible in opensuseand windows?

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:36:01 +0000, gogalthorp wrote:

> You don't encrypt drives you encrypt partition on the drive. Don't let
    > MS calling partitions drives confuse you.

Actually, with Truecrypt, you could do full device encryption - not just
    partition encryption.

I have two drives that are configured just that way.

Jim

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I believe TrueCrypt is no longer available, or at least no longer being developed.