Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: is there something to check sha256 sum??

  1. #1

    Default is there something to check sha256 sum??

    in the past the opensuse 13.2 .iso images had md5sum, so, using k3b I can easily check the md5sum copying the md5sum in the file downloaded by suse, now I downloaded leap42.1 and its sha256, but I cannot do the same as 13.2 becouse I haven't the md5sum and k3b gives only the md5sum.
    is there an as easy and newby like in the past way to check and compare sha256???
    manythanks :-) ciao :-) pier

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,624
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: is there something to check sha256 sum??

    Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    in the past the opensuse 13.2 .iso images had md5sum, so, using k3b I can easily check the md5sum copying the md5sum in the file downloaded by suse, now I downloaded leap42.1 and its sha256, but I cannot do the same as 13.2 becouse I haven't the md5sum and k3b gives only the md5sum.
    is there an as easy and newby like in the past way to check and compare sha256???
    manythanks :-) ciao :-) pier
    "sha256sum" will check the sha256 checksum.

    I normally use:
    Code:
    wget path-to-image.iso.sha256
    aria2c -V path-to-image.iso
    gpg --verify image.iso.sha256
    sha256sum image.iso.sha256
    Once you have verified the download, you can then compute the MD5 checksum yourself if you want to make use of the ability of k3b to check that. I "burn" to USB flash drives, so I don't use k3b.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: is there something to check sha256 sum??

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    "sha256sum" will check the sha256 checksum.

    I normally use:
    Code:
    wget path-to-image.iso.sha256
    aria2c -V path-to-image.iso
    gpg --verify image.iso.sha256
    sha256sum image.iso.sha256
    Once you have verified the download, you can then compute the MD5 checksum yourself if you want to make use of the ability of k3b to check that. I "burn" to USB flash drives, so I don't use k3b.
    Thank you very much but I asked for "an as easy and newby as in the past way to check and compare sha256", sha256sum gives a very long string, may be I succeed to compare it with the downloaded one, but it is too difficult for my newby sister... :-) :-) ..in the past I told her to copy the string in the downloaded file, launch k3b, when k3b finished to check and the md5sum was shown rightclick on it and choose compare checksum, ...is there a as simple as this way ??

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,624
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: is there something to check sha256 sum??

    Oops. The last of my suggested commands should have been:
    Code:
    sha256sum -c  image.iso.sha256
    The "-c" option tells "sha256sum" to compare the sum in the sha256 file with the computed checksum.

    Yes, I agree that checking a long string of characters is not the best way of doing this. Let the software do the compare.

    If I only have the announced sum, I would copy/paste into a file, and again use "sha256sum -c" to have the software do the compare.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,547

    Default Re: is there something to check sha256 sum??

    if you download using KGet it will check the sha256 on download completion.
    But I guess you have already downloaded the iso -so perhaps not helpful for this occasion.

  6. #6

    Default Re: is there something to check sha256 sum??

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Oops. The last of my suggested commands should have been:
    Code:
    sha256sum -c  image.iso.sha256
    The "-c" option tells "sha256sum" to compare the sum in the sha256 file with the computed checksum.

    Yes, I agree that checking a long string of characters is not the best way of doing this. Let the software do the compare.

    If I only have the announced sum, I would copy/paste into a file, and again use "sha256sum -c" to have the software do the compare.
    manythanks, at first I didn't understand that the image file and the sha256sum file had to have the same name except for the .sha256 at the end, got this it resulted enough simple for me and for my sister

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,624
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: is there something to check sha256 sum??

    The names don't have to relate that way.

    Inside the ".sha256" file, there is a line:
    Code:
    long-string-of-hex-digits       filename
    When you run "sha256sum -c", it gets the filename to check from that line.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  8. #8

    Default Re: is there something to check sha256 sum??

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    The names don't have to relate that way.

    Inside the ".sha256" file, there is a line:
    Code:
    long-string-of-hex-digits       filename
    When you run "sha256sum -c", it gets the filename to check from that line.
    ...ah, good to know manythanks again

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •