uid 1000 failed to obtain auth error on "Check for Updates" in Plasma5

I’ve just done a clean install of Leap 42.1 and am running into what appears to be a policykit hiccup. Every few minutes, there is a Plasma notification that says

Update Error
Authorization failed You have failed to provide correct authentication.
Please check any passwords of account settings.

I poked around in the systemd journal and found this error:

[system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.PackageKit' unit='packagekit.service'daemon start
[system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.PackageKit'
uid 1000 is trying to obtain org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh auth (only_trusted:0)
uid 1000 is trying to obtain org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh auth (only_trusted:0)
uid 1000 failed to obtain auth 
uid 1000 failed to obtain auth

I can easily force a duplication of this error by clicking the up arrow on the systray, then Software Updates > Check for Updates.

I’ve searched the forums here and Google… only one discussion was found (on the Dutch openSUSE forum), with no resolution.

Is anyone else bumping into this? Is there anything that can be done to correct it?

Sounds like the problem with the polkit update to 0.113, which apparently causes the session to not be correctly registered if you logout and in again.

You should be able to downgrade polkit to 0.112 with the “Versions” tab in YaST->Software Management, that should “fix” the problem.

Oh, and there are a few threads about this problem here already, also for 13.2 (and two bug reports)… :wink:

Thanks wolfi. Downgraded polkit to 0.112 (and locked it… for now) and whiz-bang it is working properly.

I wasn’t able to ferret out the root cause/bug report… and finding a common thread/search term here on the forum was a bit… tough as everyone is describing the problem differently :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your help!

Try THIS THREAD.

I can confirm that (1) this bug occurs on my system (2) downgrading polkit and libpolkit0 from 0.113-6.1 to 0.112-4.2 fixes the problem.
But the first thing that happens is that I get a notification to update polkit again, so that’s a bit silly.

Has anyone filed a bug report for this yet?

Lock the update in YaST->Online Update.

OTOH, it only happens if you logout and login again.
So if you avoid this, you should not have problems with the update.

Has anyone filed a bug report for this yet?

There are several bug reports about this, for 13.2 and Leap 42.1.

PS: The problem only seems to happen with user id 1000. At least I cannot reproduce it here with my main user which has an id of 500 (my system is upgraded since SuSE 8.1).
So another workaround might be to create a new user account…

OTOH, a (hopefully) fixed polkit package is available here now:
http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=954139#c6

Please test and comment in the bug report whether it works.

It happens to me with userid=1001.

But if I logout, then wait 5 minutes to login again, all is okay.
If I logout and then login as a different user, all is okay. If I again logout then login as the original user, all is okay. But I’m not sure if the elapsed time between two logins as the same user does the trick, or whether login as a different user cancels the cached information that is causing problems.

In any case, the bug reports seem to suggest that this will soon be fixed.

Hi All,

Seems that I hit a similar issue. When clicking up arrow, then “System updates”->“Check for updates” I get the following error message:

Update Error
Authorization failed You have failed to provide correct authentication.
Please check any passwords of account settings.

Digging in system journal I found:

Sep 18 13:10:36 cwsfclement2 dbus[926]: **[system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.PackageKit' unit='packagekit.service'**
Sep 18 13:10:36 cwsfclement2 PackageKit[4968]: daemon start
Sep 18 13:10:36 cwsfclement2 systemd[1]: Starting PackageKit Daemon...
Sep 18 13:10:36 cwsfclement2 dbus[926]: **[system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.PackageKit'**
Sep 18 13:10:36 cwsfclement2 systemd[1]: Started PackageKit Daemon.
Sep 18 13:10:36 cwsfclement2 PackageKit[4968]: uid 5011 is trying to obtain org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh auth (only_trusted:0)
Sep 18 13:10:36 cwsfclement2 PackageKit[4968]: uid 5011 is trying to obtain org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh auth (only_trusted:0)
Sep 18 13:10:56 cwsfclement2 PackageKit[4968]: daemon quit
Sep 18 13:10:56 cwsfclement2 packagekitd[4968]: (packagekitd:4968): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 6 was not found when attempting to remove it

Running under Leap 42.1 with polkit version:

Retrieving repository 'network' metadata .................................................................................................................................................[done]
Building repository 'network' cache ......................................................................................................................................................[done]
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

Information for package polkit:
-------------------------------
Repository: openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Update
Name: polkit
Version: 0.113-9.1
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: openSUSE
Installed: Yes
Installed Size: 251.7 KiB
Summary: PolicyKit Authorization Framework
Description:  
  PolicyKit is a toolkit for defining and handling authorizations.
  It is used for allowing unprivileged processes to speak to privileged
  processes.

Tried to downgrade to version 0.112-4.2-x86_64 but problem is still there.

Any clue?

Many thanks,
François

When this is not a (late) addition to the exact problem as discussed in this thread, please start a new thread with your own problem.

To draw the attention of the people you need it is always the best to start a thread with a good title. And not to hide your problem at the end of anotjer one, where nobody might be interested in anymore.

Many thanks for the tip Henk.

I also missed the existing thread proposing a solution to this very issue. For those mislead by my post, please follow this link.

Cheer,
François