Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How to startup applications or terminal commands in OpenSuse LEAP 42.1

  1. #1

    Question How to startup applications or terminal commands in OpenSuse LEAP 42.1

    Hello there,

    So, i want to know how i can setup my computer so that the below terminal commands are run everytime i boot up my computer.

    I'm using

    Code:
    To list all my devices so that i know the ID to disable, i used:
    ...:~> xinput list
    
    and then i disable my touchscreen input laptop screen and my touchpad/touchpad buttons with:
    
    ...:~> xinput set-prop 11 "Device Enabled" 0
    ...:~> xinput set-prop 14 "Device Enabled" 0
    ...:~> xinput set-prop 10 "Device Enabled" 0
    I need this because touchpad is messed up if enable on all linux distros. I'm still debuging to see what really is messing up with the mouse cursor, but i'm almost sure it is the touchpad it self. It doesn't move the cursor right after i turn it on, it depends.
    The reality for now is that the with touchscreen and touchpad fully disabled, no more mouse cursors moving by themself are appearing. The next debug step is on 15 November with touchscreen enabled and touchpad fully disabled.

    It is kinda funny that i thought someone was liking to check my pc remotely but the truth is that the default firewall is enabled and i have VNC disabled. So i might be safe i guess, or do you have something to tell me about this?

    I have checked old tutorials on how to do this using Yast, but the options aren't there as told.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,134

    Default Re: How to startup applications or terminal commands in OpenSuse LEAP 42.1

    The simplest method (for me) would be to bundle your commands into a simple bash/dash script and run it from root's crontab using the "@reboot" time specification. See "man 5 crontab"
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

  3. #3
    alanbortu NNTP User

    Default Re: How to startup applications or terminal commands in OpenSuse LEAP42.1

    On 11/13/2015 11:26 AM, securityquestion wrote:

    >
    > It is kinda funny that i thought someone was liking to check my pc
    > remotely but the truth is that the default firewall is enabled and i
    > have VNC disabled. So i might be safe i guess, or do you have something
    > to tell me about this?


    I don't think you are dealing with something like that but just for fun
    since you asked...

    Check open ports, os and service versions:
    Code:
    nmap -sV -O ip_of_interface
    1) Note that if you use virtualization software you may see VNC as an
    open port if you scan localhost(127.0.0.1). This is normal if you are
    using VNC to connect to the vms.

    2) Be careful when using nmap. Do not use it to scan random IP
    addresses! Only scan IPs *you* have control over. Don't scan random
    servers on the internet. Please.

    You can also install wireshark and use it to monitor traffic on each
    network interface. Wireshark will basically log every packet that goes
    through the interface and then allow you to filter them and inspect
    their contents.

    Again though, I don't think its a security issue but I thought you may
    be interested in how you could at least start with tracking network
    activity on your system. There is tons of great documentation on the
    internet about these tools so feel free to dig into them and learn the
    habits of your system.

    --
    openSUSE Leap (42.1) 64 bit
    Plasma 5

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: How to startup applications or terminal commands in OpenSuse LEAP 42.1

    If you can wait till after you login to issue those commands, you could stick them in .profile, or link a script in .profile with the commands in it. If you do the latter, be sure and background the script or you'll hang your login process.

    On a side note, I disabled two functions on my mouse using that method, as I apparently can't middle-click with my mouse wheel in Firefox without shifting it to one side or another, causing a "back" or "forward" call to the browser.

    I have this entry in .profile, which works perfectly to kill those side-ways "clicks".

    Code:
    xinput set-button-map 'Logitech M525' 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 0 0
    The reason I point this out is that I wasn't able to use the id number of the device to accomplish this. Every time I reboot, those devices enumerate differently on my machine. Instead, I use the name of the device, provided by "xinput list". Hopefully this saves you some headaches, if that becomes an issue for you

    For reference:

    Code:
    electragician@LeapNUC:~> xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Logitech M525                               id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Logitech K360                               id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                   id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                                id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HD Webcam C525                              id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    Leap 42.2 with Xfce
    Intel NUC5i5RYK

  5. #5

    Default Re: How to startup applications or terminal commands in OpenSuse LEAP42.1

    Quote Originally Posted by alanbortu View Post
    On 11/13/2015 11:26 AM, securityquestion wrote:

    >
    > It is kinda funny that i thought someone was liking to check my pc
    > remotely but the truth is that the default firewall is enabled and i
    > have VNC disabled. So i might be safe i guess, or do you have something
    > to tell me about this?


    I don't think you are dealing with something like that but just for fun
    since you asked...

    Check open ports, os and service versions:
    Code:
    nmap -sV -O ip_of_interface
    1) Note that if you use virtualization software you may see VNC as an
    open port if you scan localhost(127.0.0.1). This is normal if you are
    using VNC to connect to the vms.

    2) Be careful when using nmap. Do not use it to scan random IP
    addresses! Only scan IPs *you* have control over. Don't scan random
    servers on the internet. Please.

    You can also install wireshark and use it to monitor traffic on each
    network interface. Wireshark will basically log every packet that goes
    through the interface and then allow you to filter them and inspect
    their contents.

    Again though, I don't think its a security issue but I thought you may
    be interested in how you could at least start with tracking network
    activity on your system. There is tons of great documentation on the
    internet about these tools so feel free to dig into them and learn the
    habits of your system.

    --
    openSUSE Leap (42.1) 64 bit
    Plasma 5
    Hello my friend! I really appreciate your time for being so helpful It means a lot to me !!

    I did the scan towards my localhost ip and this is what i got:

    Code:
       	 	 	 	   sudo nmap -sV -O localhost
     root's password:
     
     
     Starting Nmap 6.47 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-11-14 18:16 AZOT
     Nmap scan report for localhost (127.0.0.1)
     Host is up (0.0000070s latency).
     Not shown: 997 closed ports
     PORT    STATE SERVICE         VERSION
     25/tcp  open  smtp            Postfix smtpd
     443/tcp open  ssl/http        VMware VirtualCenter Web service
     902/tcp open  ssl/vmware-auth VMware Authentication Daemon 1.10 (Uses VNC, SOAP)
     Device type: general purpose
     Running: Linux 3.X
     OS CPE: cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel:3
     OS details: Linux 3.7 - 3.15
     Network Distance: 0 hops
     Service Info: Host: linux.local
     
     
     OS and Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at http://nmap.org/submit/ .
     Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 17.56 seconds
    I was wondering if you could help me interpret if i have any security problem from the above code and maybe tell me what steps i could do to fix it?

    I'm very curious about learning new things from yoda masters

  6. #6

    Default Re: How to startup applications or terminal commands in OpenSuse LEAP 42.1

    Quote Originally Posted by electragician View Post
    If you can wait till after you login to issue those commands, you could stick them in .profile, or link a script in .profile with the commands in it. If you do the latter, be sure and background the script or you'll hang your login process.

    On a side note, I disabled two functions on my mouse using that method, as I apparently can't middle-click with my mouse wheel in Firefox without shifting it to one side or another, causing a "back" or "forward" call to the browser.

    I have this entry in .profile, which works perfectly to kill those side-ways "clicks".

    Code:
    xinput set-button-map 'Logitech M525' 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 0 0
    The reason I point this out is that I wasn't able to use the id number of the device to accomplish this. Every time I reboot, those devices enumerate differently on my machine. Instead, I use the name of the device, provided by "xinput list". Hopefully this saves you some headaches, if that becomes an issue for you

    For reference:

    Code:
    electragician@LeapNUC:~> xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Logitech M525                               id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Logitech K360                               id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                   id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                                id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ HD Webcam C525                              id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    Hey hey !! Thanks a lot for your help, with it i saved a lot of time, because like you said the IDs change every time we reboot the computer.

    Whats i did to disable was basically put the following code in hidden file .profile that is in Home directory.

    Code:
    xinput set-prop 'ELAN Touchscreen' "Device Enabled" 0
    xinput set-prop 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad' "Device Enabled" 0
    So, between ' ' we have the name of the device that i want to disable and i'm using the 0 to set it to False (Disabled).

    You were very helpful, thanks again

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •