Plasma 5 Problems

Hello,
I installed this new distribution either in my workstation (hp 6300 pro microtower) or on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite T130) and I’m having issues with kde plasma 5. From time to time the display flashes, the windows I have open tremble. Sometimes when changing virtual desktop, the resfresh is too slow.
The problem is most severe in Workstation, I do not know if is because i have dual monitor.
I think this happens regardless of the applications that have open, but is most noticeable when I have some flash app running in the browser.
In other graphs environments (Mate, cinnamom, gnome) all works well.

My graphics card is an asus eah4350.

Is there anything I can do ?! The kde is my reference to the destop many years, and others, no matter how good they may be, do not reach the kde heels (except the plasma 5) :frowning:

Best regards,
Vitor

Maybe the window compositor has issues with your HW. Go to:

System settings > Display and monitor > Compositor > Rendering backend

try XRender or OpenGL 2.0 ; OpenGL 3.0 has problems on some HW, apparently.
Or try to switch off effects or the whole compositor as a last resort.
And check CPU load when you have such problems, maybe there are background jobs competing for resources…

Thanks for the tip.
By default, the rendering backend was set to OpenGL 2.0, and when I changed to XRender or OpenGL 3.1, the issue is resolved.
Now, a second question arises, what is better, XRender or OpenGL 3.1!

Again, thank you for your (fast) tip.

AFAIK OpenGL is preferred over XRender.

Not running openGL could cause issues with some games

That setting only affects what kwin uses to draw the screen. It doesn’t influence whether games do or do not use OpenGL, or other parts of the software stack.

And actually running kwin with OpenGL could cause issues with some games, depending on your card/driver.

But OpenGL in kwin is required for certain desktop effects, and especially on modern GPUs it probably also performs better. (current cards are 3D-only internally, while XRender is 2D)