Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LEAP automatic software updater

Default LEAP automatic software updater

What is the name of the software updater that pops up, and how do I disable it?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: LEAP automatic software updater

If you are using Plasma 5, then you can disable it in the tray settings.

I don't know the name.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Searching for "update" in Yast software manager, I see that there is something called "plasma5-pk-updates" which seems to fit the description.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    What is the name of the software updater that pops up, and how do I disable it?

Thanks in advance.
    Plaese always tell from the beginning which desktop you are using. Specialy when your question/problem is a bout a typical desktop feature.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    If you are using Plasma 5, then you can disable it in the tray settings.

I don't know the name.
    actually I don't think it can be disabled in the tray settings.
    Going to systray settings and unchecking "software updates" removes the icon but does not stop the popups from occurring hourly.
    Doesn't appear to be any setting within the updater itself to disable it - only to change the frequency (haven't checked to see if this works yet.)
    Mark F.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 / Plasma 5.12

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    Going to systray settings and unchecking "software updates" removes the icon but does not stop the popups from occurring hourly.
    Yes - partly. For authentication nonsense I won't go into again, the updater says my system is offline (it isn't - wifi is connected). So icon is not showing in tray, but it is showing in "Status and Notifications". I uncheck in systray settings, and the entry for the updater disappears from Status and Notifications. Re-checking the setting brings it back with the same phony status of "Your system is offline". I'm guessing it does remove from systray. Maybe a separate authentication process is causing the three messages to appear...

If you are on a wired connection, this issue may not occur(?).
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Blog Entries

I have not had any update popups since unchecking that.
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Plaese always tell from the beginning which desktop you are using. Specialy when your question/problem is a bout a typical desktop feature.
    Sorry, I was careless. It's KDE 4.14.10.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I have not had any update popups since unchecking that.
    Now the wifi authentication nonsense is hopefully gone here - just had the first reboot without kwallet interfering or being asked for the passkey. After editing NM's connection, I avoided logout/in this time round which seemed to cause authorization issues before (polkit related I suppose).

The updater immediately presented me with six updates that installed ok. I will wait on Leap to see if the hourly three notifications appear again. After that I can test disabling the updater, etc.

It doesn't help to have this unstable Plasma 5 system tray where icons disappear leaving blank spaces e.g in the case of KMix and other sound volume icon randomly appearing or not. Now KMix won't start and I have no volume icons in the tray (sound is ok though).
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

Doesn't appear to be any setting within the updater itself to disable it - only to change the frequency (haven't checked to see if this works yet.)
    I get the same thing: Software Updates is unchecked in the systray settings. Icon no longer shows in the tray, but I'm still getting a more-or-less hourly notification that I have updates waiting.

As for the frequency setting, I had it on "Daily", and judging by the occasional changes in the number of updates waiting, it's checking several times a day. I just now changed it to "Monthly" and will see if that makes any difference.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast