Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LEAP automatic software updater

Default Re: LEAP automatic software updater

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    So far the updater is behaving itself here - no notifications and has not reappeared in systray but remains hidden until it finds updates. I will be surer of that later today after a reboot.
    Booting bare-metal Leap/Plasma5 today: pk-updater is working normally here, and system is up to date. No strange authorization errors, no need to authenticate wifi connection with no nagging from kwallet. Polkit update is installed on this system, so I must remember not to just logoff and rediscover an authorization issue.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

As of yesterday I started getting these. I get two in quick succession when it checks for updates

✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

Quote Originally Posted by kdemello View Post
    It's probably apper then. Just uninstall the apper package and restart KDE, and it will be gone.
    Never tried to uninstall apper -- I usually go into the KDE System Manager and setup the following:
    • In "System Administration" / "Apper Software Management", set up Apper to never ever look for any updates;
    • In "System Administration" / "Startup and Shutdown", in the "Service Manager", stop the "Apper monitoring" and uncheck "Use".

I'm just joining in for the sake of it. I was actually bragging that I get two consecutively
    ✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

Yeah, after your original heads up on polkit update, I locked it in my Leap/Xfce VM (same pk-updater, stable system tray)... ...Locking the update/patch doesn't lock the three individual packages targeted by the update - that's why pk-updater continues to notify those. I did a "check for updates" and deselected them individually. I don't know yet if that has persisted...
    Not surprising really that deselected updates displayed by pk-updater do not persist after a logout/reboot, and are reselected for update when pk-updater automatically starts and checks for updates(on logging in to Xfce desktop). There were two extra updates to install. After deselecting the three polkit packages again, the VM will remain running here to see if pk-updater re-checks during the day.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

. . . . BTW I did the locking with YaST Online Update (displays all info available on official updates). Locking the update/patch doesn't lock the three individual packages targeted by the update - that's why pk-updater continues to notify those. I did a "check for updates" and deselected them individually.
    ahh . . . thanks for pointing me in this direction.
    I opened up the online updater and selected to never update the patch.
    Now the tray updater is behaving itself and telling me my system is up-to-date. :-)
    Mark F.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1 / Plasma 5.12

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by david_banner View Post
    As of yesterday I started getting these. I get two in quick succession when it checks for updates

Yes. This is the polkit problem introduced with a recent polkit uptdate.

It only happens if you logout and then login again. It does not happen on the first login after rebooting.

Also, from my tests, it looks as if it won't happen if you logout, then wait for 5 minutes or so before you login again.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

I have just tested with two computers, side by side, both running Leap.

On computer A, I have the update notifier enabled (in system tray settings).
    On computer B, the tray notifier is disabled (the system tray box for it is unchecked).

On computer A, after I booted and logged in, I got a notice of 5 updates ready to be installed.
    I logged out, and logged in again. I then got the authentication warnings.
    I logged out, and let it sit for around 5 minures. Then I logged in again. This time, no authentication warning, but I was notified of 5 updates.

On computer B, after booting and login, there was no notification of updates.
    I logged out and immediately logged in again. There were no authentication warnings. I'm pretty sure that the update is not running at all on computer B. There were updates waiting to be installed (as determined by running "zypper lu" as root).

I notice some people think that the updater still runs when the box is unchecked. Maybe it does for you. But it doesn't seem to be running here. I do not know what is the difference between our machines that would cause this different behavior.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

If I click "Check For Updates" button I can generate it immediately (twice).

I've even found the sound file for it and am considering swapping it out and replacing it with a fart sound.

Try also inserting a USB that is one of the problems in the 13.2 polkit update.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast