Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin Copy and lost or changed file names

Default Dolphin Copy and lost or changed file names

I have just used Dolphin to copy my music directory and subdirectories from a remote NAS running samba to my rebuilt 13.2 x86_64 machine with KDE desktop.

I thought I would check all was OK and found to my horror that some subdirectories and file names have been lost and substitutes such as CL4M6E~W inserted. I panicked a bit but when I used the web based NAS file manager all was as it should be on the NAS.

Please can somebody explain what is going on. I have tens of thousands of files and cannot check them all!!!!
    Budgie2

Default Re: Dolphin Copy and lost or changed file names

Probably incompatible file name formats/characters.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Probably incompatible file name formats/characters.
    Thanks for the advice. Seems very possible but I did rip one of the problem recordings on the same machine that is showing to problem and it did not have a problem then.

I can identify one problem directory but where do I start looking for solutions?
    Thanks again,
    Budgie2

Show us the problem ie what names got changed?? At least a sample XYZ got changes to ABC

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Show us the problem ie what names got changed?? At least a sample XYZ got changes to ABC
    Yes, how do you think anybody can help you when you do not show even one example about what happens?
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Yes, how do you think anybody can help you when you do not show even one example about what happens?
    Of course I don't but I am still trying to work out how to do that for the correct version which I cannot see except through browser. Possibly a screen shot will do it. Here are two screen shots one from the NAS showing the directory with the problem example highlighted and one from Dolphin showing how the same directory comes out when copied, ie CL4M6E~W. You will see that it is only one of many similar which have copied OK.

Code:
    file:///home/alastair_x3400_original/Downloads/snapshot_from_NAS.png
    Code:
    file:///home/alastair_x3400_original/Downloads/snapshot_from_Dolphin.png
    I have no idea if resolution/size will be OK but please instruct me how to improve if not.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Budgie2
    PS tried to post the above and the .png files were not included as you can see. How should I do this please?

Whenever it is possible we use the CLI for showing things. Because it is easy to copy/paste in a post.In your case that would be
    Code:
    ls -l <filename>
    of each of the two corresponding filenames.

And those two URLs you posted lead to nothing. They are local to your system and we are not loged in in your system.

When you feel you can not show t hings through a CLI (terminal), which happens sometimes, you can upload an image to http://paste.opensuse.org/ and post the link here.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Whenever it is possible we use the CLI for showing things. Because it is easy to copy/paste in a post.In your case that would be
    Code:
    ls -l <filename>
    of each of the two corresponding filenames.

And those two URLs you posted lead to nothing. They are local to your system and we are not loged in in your system.

When you feel you can not show t hings through a CLI (terminal), which happens sometimes, you can upload an image to http://paste.opensuse.org/ and post the link here.
    Hi Henk and thanks for the reply. Sorry if I am making hard work of this. The point of my PS was to try and get the screenshots posted. I can easily use CLI to get to the faulty file but I cannot easily use CLI to get to the file on the NAS. That is beyond my ability as NAS directory is not mounted on my machine. I might, after a while, be able to mount using NFS but the screen shot makes it clear. They are in .png image format but I cannot see how to include them here or upload to the above url. What should I do please?

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    Hi Henk and thanks for the reply. Sorry if I am making hard work of this. The point of my PS was to try and get the screenshots posted. I can easily use CLI to get to the faulty file but I cannot easily use CLI to get to the file on the NAS. That is beyond my ability as NAS directory is not mounted on my machine. I might, after a while, be able to mount using NFS but the screen shot makes it clear. They are in .png image format but I cannot see how to include them here or upload to the above url. What should I do please?
    The PNG format is allright in itself. And the openSUSE paste service should be self explaining. In any case I would start clicking on "image" at right top.
    Henk van Velden

BTW, I do not understand the "it is not mounyed". How can it then be accessed?

I thought it is SAMBA driven. But that also means mounting on the client imho.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast