Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: How to uninstall package plus the packages that were installed with it?

  1. #1
    drhedberg NNTP User

    Default How to uninstall package plus the packages that were installed with it?

    I installed NetworkManager-openvpn-gnome to try and get Private Internet Access working but I couldn't figure it out so I would like to uninstall this package plus whatever else was installed with it. I don't remember everything that was installed with it but perhaps there is a way to do it in Yast or with the command line.

    thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to uninstall package plus the packages that were installed with it?

    IIRC the command would be
    Code:
    zypper rm -u networkmanager-openvpn-gnome
    the -u part, tells zypper to remove the dependencies too.
    http://cra1g321.deviantart.com ~ Free $10 Credit = https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=c815cd864aeb

  3. #3
    drhedberg NNTP User

    Default Re: How to uninstall package plus the packages that were installed with it?

    Quote Originally Posted by cra1g321 View Post
    IIRC the command would be
    Code:
    zypper rm -u networkmanager-openvpn-gnome
    the -u part, tells zypper to remove the dependencies too.
    Thank you for the command. Is it possible that this would remove dependencies that are used by other programs? I'm still trying to understand the package/dependency system and don't want to break other programs.

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,567

    Default Re: How to uninstall package plus the packages that were installed with it?

    in the yast software manager under Extras there is an option to "clean up" when uninstalling applications.
    It won't (or shouldn't) touch anything still being used by other software.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: How to uninstall package plus the packages that were installed with it?

    It wasn't your question, but if you want some help getting Private Internet Access's VPN service configured, I'll be glad to give some pointers.

    I'm no expert on networking, but I've used their service for over a year now, and I'm currently using it on Leap under Gnome.
    Leap 42.2 with Xfce
    Intel NUC5i5RYK

  6. #6
    drhedberg NNTP User

    Default Re: How to uninstall package plus the packages that were installed with it?

    Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    in the yast software manager under Extras there is an option to "clean up" when uninstalling applications.
    It won't (or shouldn't) touch anything still being used by other software.
    Thanks for the tip! Appreciate it.

  7. #7
    drhedberg NNTP User

    Default Re: How to uninstall package plus the packages that were installed with it?

    Quote Originally Posted by electragician View Post
    It wasn't your question, but if you want some help getting Private Internet Access's VPN service configured, I'll be glad to give some pointers.

    I'm no expert on networking, but I've used their service for over a year now, and I'm currently using it on Leap under Gnome.
    I would love to take your advice and try to set up PIA. I followed the last posters instructions here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.co...-opensuse-13-2 and I was actually able to connect but when I checked my ip address on www.ipleak.net it was not working. So there was some disconnect there.

    Also, the only way I could connect on each reboot was to start networkmanager as root which was kind of a pain.

    Let me know if you need any information from me. I'm using KDE and not gnome so I installed networkmanager-openvpn-gnome as stated above but just uninstalled it.

    thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: How to uninstall package plus the packages that were installed with it?

    Quote Originally Posted by drhedberg View Post
    I would love to take your advice and try to set up PIA. I followed the last posters instructions here: https://www.privateinternetaccess.co...-opensuse-13-2 and I was actually able to connect but when I checked my ip address on www.ipleak.net it was not working. So there was some disconnect there.

    Also, the only way I could connect on each reboot was to start networkmanager as root which was kind of a pain.

    Let me know if you need any information from me. I'm using KDE and not gnome so I installed networkmanager-openvpn-gnome as stated above but just uninstalled it.

    thanks

    Off the cuff I'd say you should be using plasma-nm5 with plasma-nm5-openvpn to configure your VPN under KDE, and definitely not trying to use gnome's network manager applet.

    Uggh... I don't have a KDE install here to mess with, but it should be as simple as grabbing the zip from PIA and unpacking it somewhere safe and permanent. Then going in through either the network-manager applet in your system tray or KDE's (not YaSTs) network settings and there should be a function to add a connection. Select VPN and the equivalent of "Import connection" and select the .ovpn file from the folder you saved, for the physical location closest to you (or closest to where you want your IP address to be out of). If it asks you for the location for the .crt file, point it toward that same folder.

    Then put in your login and password for PIA. I've always used a generated login and pass from the bottom right of PIA's Client Control Panel, under the field that reads:

    ***
    PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS Username and Password (Optional)

    Please use the following button to generate or re-generate a username and password for use with PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS.
    ***



    I don't use the login and pass for the PIA site itself.

    It should ask you if you want to save the password or some such. Tell it yes, if that's your desire.

    Close your browser. Start the VPN and then open the browser and check your IP address.


    I know these are vague instructions... if it doesn't make sense, hopefully someone else can clarify where I might be making a mistake since I'm not using KDE. Barring that, let me know and I'll grab a KDE LiveCD and try to walk through it and see if I can get it to work.

    Good luck and let us know if it works
    Leap 42.2 with Xfce
    Intel NUC5i5RYK

  9. #9
    drhedberg NNTP User

    Default Re: How to uninstall package plus the packages that were installed with it?

    Quote Originally Posted by electragician View Post
    Off the cuff I'd say you should be using plasma-nm5 with plasma-nm5-openvpn to configure your VPN under KDE, and definitely not trying to use gnome's network manager applet.

    Uggh... I don't have a KDE install here to mess with, but it should be as simple as grabbing the zip from PIA and unpacking it somewhere safe and permanent. Then going in through either the network-manager applet in your system tray or KDE's (not YaSTs) network settings and there should be a function to add a connection. Select VPN and the equivalent of "Import connection" and select the .ovpn file from the folder you saved, for the physical location closest to you (or closest to where you want your IP address to be out of). If it asks you for the location for the .crt file, point it toward that same folder.

    Then put in your login and password for PIA. I've always used a generated login and pass from the bottom right of PIA's Client Control Panel, under the field that reads:

    ***
    PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS Username and Password (Optional)

    Please use the following button to generate or re-generate a username and password for use with PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS.
    ***




    I don't use the login and pass for the PIA site itself.

    It should ask you if you want to save the password or some such. Tell it yes, if that's your desire.

    Close your browser. Start the VPN and then open the browser and check your IP address.


    I know these are vague instructions... if it doesn't make sense, hopefully someone else can clarify where I might be making a mistake since I'm not using KDE. Barring that, let me know and I'll grab a KDE LiveCD and try to walk through it and see if I can get it to work.

    Good luck and let us know if it works
    Your instructions worked! I had to change from Wicked which is the default network manager in Yast to Network Manager and then the applet in the bottom right corner of my tray immediately appeared and I was able to configure the connection. There was no applet showing up when Wicked was used which was confusing me.

    Thanks so much for your help Matt!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: How to uninstall package plus the packages that were installed with it?

    Quote Originally Posted by drhedberg View Post
    Your instructions worked! I had to change from Wicked which is the default network manager in Yast to Network Manager and then the applet in the bottom right corner of my tray immediately appeared and I was able to configure the connection. There was no applet showing up when Wicked was used which was confusing me.

    Thanks so much for your help Matt!
    Awesome!

    I'd forgotten that Wicked is the default these days, doh... I'll have to remember that if this comes up again

    Glad you got it working!
    Leap 42.2 with Xfce
    Intel NUC5i5RYK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •