Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Different Widgets and Backgrounds for each desktop

Default Different Widgets and Backgrounds for each desktop

I just installed 42.1. The Virtual Screens config panel no longer
    contains the check box for "Different Widgets for each desktop".

The lack of that option prevents having different backgrounds and different
    widget sets on each desktop. The differing backgrounds feature is a
    particularly key feature for many folks.

Is this config feature found elsewhere, or will it be coming soon, or is the
    capability being removed?

Default Re: Different Widgets and Backgrounds for each desktop

Still ongoing I think. They reopened the bug status on it but nothing has been resolved yet as far as I know. Activities it is for the time being.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=341143
    ✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

Yes a truly stupid decision from the KDE people. Why even have multiple desktops if you can't tell them apart

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Yes a truly stupid decision from the KDE people. Why even have multiple desktops if you can't tell them apart
    Exactly! I was beginning to think I was the only one.

I still haven't found a need for Actiivities. Multiple desktops with differing
    backgrounds and widgets is more than enough...

I myself have not found use for activities either but I can envision it being used in a commercial setting. ie set up an activity for all the major functions a manager oversees each with a complete set of apps/data. But for us mere mortals virtual desktops were perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by xlis View Post
    Exactly! I was beginning to think I was the only one.

I still haven't found a need for Actiivities. Multiple desktops with differing
    backgrounds and widgets is more than enough...
    You aren't the only one. I remember this was done earlier in a KDE version change. But repaired after some time.

And this very feature, to show which desktop you are on, was in the earliest CDE versions back in the '90s. It was only a colour difference then, but it was apperently it was seen as something needed. And it still is.

Is there a bug somewhere (e.g. here in Bugzilla or in the KDE one) about this regression, so I can add my support?
    Henk van Velden

I already posted it at the top. It was reported as a bug at first then things became clearer as the thread evolved, it's worth reading the entire thread to see how things have unfolded. It's not like they don't already know the heat the decision has generated. But it's still worth having your say.

I suppose it's still early in the overall development of Plasma 5 and things will evolve and change over time, priorities will change too, I think it will come back in time. It wouldn't be classed as an urgent priority in the mind of a developer if Activities cover the basic functionality desired I wouldn't have thought.
    ✶ PC: P55 - i5 760 ✶ W7 / Leap 42.1 Dual Boot ✶/ (ext4). /home (ext4) ✶ KF5 & Plasma 5 Repo - Plasma 5.8.x Qt 5.7 ✶

Thanks. Means that it is unusable for me until it is fixed
    Henk van Velden

Then it's probably important that you have your say and explain why you can't operate with just 'Activities' alone; the more compelling cases the quicker the change of mind, etc.

Makes you wonder whether 'Activities' will be altered if it's too difficult to implement the changes in virtual desktops.

Quote Originally Posted by david_banner View Post
    Then it's probably important that you have your say and explain why you can't operate with just 'Activities' alone; the more compelling cases the quicker the change of mind, etc.

Makes you wonder whether 'Activities' will be altered if it's too difficult to implement the changes in virtual desktops.
    I do not even know much about Activities. I know they exist, but have no idea what they are for. In other words, I do not know for what question they are the answer.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast