Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resume from suspend to RAM problems: freezing, frozen keyboard, black screen

Default Re: Resume from suspend to RAM problems: freezing, frozen keyboard, black screen

Quote Originally Posted by glistwan View Post
    How about a BIOS upgrade ? Can you check on Toshiba website if this is available ?

The setup is definatelly compatible to problem is that with Linux dual GPU is still problematic unfortunatelly and from my experience might be causing the problems you have. I had similar issues with Lenovo Nvidia/Intel combo. My PC crashed sometimes when I plugged it in an out of docking station. In my situation I contacted. In my case I contacted :
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...227-0x00000002

ibm-acpi-develatlists.sourceforge.net and they told me the bug is fixed starting linux 4.1 so I installed the latest kernel from stable repository and after that never experienced a crash again. The problem is that in your messages there is no email alias to contact
    Thanks so much for your help!

There is indeed a BIOS update available for my machine, but according to the change log it only adds support for a couple new screen manufacturers and un-backlit keyboards, so I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

Due to a whole bunch of other problems I've been having with Leap / Plasma 5, I've installed XFCE, and have been using it without issue for about a day and a half. It uses the initial KDE greeter when booting up, but after that, power-related things (sleep, hibernate, screensaver, etc.) are handled by different software (the visually hideous xscreensaver from 1992).

If this good performance continues, I'll have to conclude that KDE / Plasma 5 are what's not handling my hardware properly.

Never would have thought that, but hey... if it works, it works.

Default Re: Resume from suspend to RAM problems: freezing, frozen keyboard, black screen

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_Fishboy View Post

There is indeed a BIOS update available for my machine, but according to the change log it only adds support for a couple new screen manufacturers and un-backlit keyboards, so I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

Due to a whole bunch of other problems I've been having with Leap / Plasma 5, I've installed XFCE, and have been using it without issue for about a day and a half. It uses the initial KDE greeter when booting up, but after that, power-related things (sleep, hibernate, screensaver, etc.) are handled by different software (the visually hideous xscreensaver from 1992).

If this good performance continues, I'll have to conclude that KDE / Plasma 5 are what's not handling my hardware properly.

Hi, @ OP: maybe the thing with suspend hibernation is hardware related because it works fine here on my pc, and about the kde greeter if you're using xfce you can remove it and install the LDM (lightdm) greeter that uses xfce and Mate DE ect...
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 925 @ 2.8GHZ
    GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_Fishboy View Post

I don't think there is any risk involved in upgrading BIOS especially on a laptop (unless you want to rip out the battery manually while the chip is being flashed). But hey if it works on a different desktop then it is most likely desktop related This type of issues are usually hard to troubleshoot so use whatever works.
    Best regards,
    Greg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12