Thread: RabbitVCS doesn't integrate in file managers

Default RabbitVCS doesn't integrate in file managers

Hello,

Does anyone know how to get RabbitVCS Nautilus + Thunar extension working on SUSE? I installed the packages from the build service:
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/rabbitvcs (scm repo)
    rabbitvcs rabbitvcs-command-line-plugin rabbitvcs-nautilus-extension rabbitvcs-thunar-extension thunarx-python etc.

but RabbitVCS does not show up in either Nautilus or Thunar (normally shows up in right-click on a folder). I can't figure out why.

I can invoke rabbit from the command line, e.g.
    $ rabbitvcs checkout
    but it doesn't integrate in the file managers (which is the whole point)

I'm running Leap 42.1 with KDE but with Nautilus and Thunar both installed on top. I depend on this tool for work.

Any help appreciated.

Blog Entries

Default Re: RabbitVCS doesn't integrate in file managers

Hi
    Wow, that's a blast from the past.... 3 years since it's last update. Version 0.16 is out now and only a year old with further commits to master.

Ping the last updater (not me ) via email from the changelog and see if they will update.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Heh ok I'll send an email once my email works. You're right I didn't notice the version is behind.

Though I did now try the recent master branch tarball (0.16.x) from https://github.com/rabbitvcs/rabbitvcs and it doesn't work either. Not Nautilus, Thunar, Nemo, or Caja (after copying RabbitVCS.py to their plugin folders). Only the CLI responds. So both the SUSE package and myself are missing some step.

UPDATE

I couldn't send the email to the maintainer due to email problems. If someone could do that would be great...

But I was able to get rabbitvcs from master version (0.16.?) to work in nautilus.

First I had to install these packages:
    zypper install nautilus python-nautilus
    zypper install python-nautilus python-gtk python-gtk-devel python-pysvn dbus-1-python dbus-1-python-devel python-dulwich subversion meld
    zypper install python-gnomevfs python-gobject python-gobject-devel python-simplejson python-configobj
    WARNING: From what I saw in command line (from when I was trying with rabbit 0.15 from the OpenSUSE packages build service) it's possible some of these conflict with each other!! I'm not sure if safe to install all these or specifically which are required, but I installed all of them.

Then I downloaded the master (zip 0.16.?) from:
    https://github.com/rabbitvcs/rabbitvcs
    Extract into ~/Downloads (/rabbitvcs-master)

Then:
    cd ~/Downloads/rabbitvcs-master
    sudo python setup.py install

Now here's the key part:
    mkdir -p ~/.local/share/nautilus-python/extensions
    cp ~/Downloads/rabbitvcs-master/clients/nautilus-3.0/RabbitVCS.py ~/.local/share/nautilus-python/extensions/

You HAVE to copy the RabbitVCS.py under home folder local share. It does not pick it up from the global dirs (/usr/lib or /usr/lib64 or /usr/share or whatever). In the OpenSUSE packages it only installs into the global dirs. I think that's the main reason it doesn't work, though also the version is old (0.15) so the python libraries caused exceptions (or conflicts between them, not sure).

Then:
    nautilus -q
    nautilus

and it picks it up.

On another system the same strategy got it to work with Caja (~/.local/share/caja-python/extensions), but I don't know the location for Thunar (thunarx-python).
    Last edited by whitefang; 11-Nov-2015 at 20:44. Reason: formatting broken

Blog Entries

Hi
    OK, leave it with me, I will branch and update (and test with Leap 42.1). It will probably be a few days as have other things to work on first

I keep seeing that RabbitVCS has been split into to pieces. I am not sure what it means.

This is from the RabbitVCS.py file mentioned above.

RabbitVCS is now distributed in two parts. The first part is the python module
    that is not connected to any file manager or text editor. This is what is now
    known as "rabbitvcs". The second part is the series of front-ends or clients
    that we distribute. These consist of a Nautilus extension, a Thunar extension,
    a Gedit plugin, and a command line utility. All of these clients use the same
    python module as a back-end.

This is from https://software.opensuse.org/package/rabbitvcs

RabbitVCS is now distributed in two parts. The first part is the python module that is not connected to any file manager or text editor. This is what is now known as "python-rabbitvcs".

I also can get Rabbit to run from the command line but can not get the items to show up in Nautilus.

I tried most of what I saw above it it did not work for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Colin

Blog Entries

Hi
    I've branched the package on OBS, it needs lots of TLC as it's been split further into gtk2 and gtk3. Will look either tonight or tomorrow and can see what all the issues are and fix it...