Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leap 42

Default Leap 42

My laptop upgraded itself yesterday to Leap from OpenSuse 13.2 and I wish it hadn't... however, thanks for everyone's hard work on this and it looks to be good.

A couple of niggles -

widgets - these don't look nearly as nice as the old ones - not very sleek and modern in my view (eg disk space used) and it means I have to reconfigure the way I had my desktop but won't be adding any widgets for the time being. When you add widgets on one desktop it adds them to all - not like 13.2

desktops - when you set a background on one desktop it sets it for all - which is a pity. Also, I can't read the image files - they show as empty although if you select on they can be set to the desktop.

how can i change the colour of the panel - doesn't seem to have that option?

Can't get Yast to open software updates and install/remove software utility.

Can I undo the upgrade and go back to my previous 13.2?

Default Re: Leap 42

Quote Originally Posted by enquirer44 View Post
    My laptop upgraded itself yesterday to Leap from OpenSuse 13.2 and I wish it hadn't...
    Sorry, but that's nonsense.

It will only be upgraded to Leap if you add the Leap repos and run an upgrade (or boot from a Leap installation medium).

Why do you think it has "upgraded itself"?

What is your repo list?
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    widgets - these don't look nearly as nice as the old ones - not very sleek and modern in my view (eg disk space used) and it means I have to reconfigure the way I had my desktop but won't be adding any widgets for the time being. When you add widgets on one desktop it adds them to all - not like 13.2
    If you upgraded to Leap, you'll use Plasma5 now. And yes, it looks different by default, and doesn't import the desktop settings from KDE4.

desktops - when you set a background on one desktop it sets it for all - which is a pity.
    Same as in KDE4, unless you enable the option "Use different widgets for each virtual desktop" (or similar), which has been removed in Plasma5.
    You can use multiple activities instead of virtual desktops, then you can also set a different wallpaper for each of them.

Also, I can't read the image files - they show as empty although if you select on they can be set to the desktop.
    Can you explain in more detail?
    How are you trying to "read the image files"? And what image files?

how can i change the colour of the panel - doesn't seem to have that option?
    That's governed by the desktop theme, like in KDE4.

Can't get Yast to open software updates and install/remove software utility.
    Why?
    What do you try and what happens?

Can I undo the upgrade and go back to my previous 13.2?
    Yes.
    Remove the Leap repos and add the 13.2's, and run "zypper dup".
    Or booting from a 13.2 installation medium and choosing "Upgrade" should work as well I suppose.
    You can also do a fresh install while reusing your /home partition if it is separate.

And may I add some advice to give you a better experience on the forums?

• Please start one thread per problem (and that is connected to the next point because different problems often belong into different (sub)forums).
    • Use the best fitting forum for your question/problem, people that might have an answer for you may not visit the forums you are posting in when it is the wrong one.
    • Use a good title that conveys keywords to those who read the titles to see if they can help. "Leap42" is a bad title, it does only say you use Leap 42, what is already, and even more precise 42.1, in the prefix.
    • Explain what you use, like which desktop when your problem has anything to do with a desktop. People can realy not know if you use Gnome, KDE, LXDE, or other.

Always remember that it is your goal to get the best help from the best people, thus advertise your problem in a way they will see it and are tempted to open it.
    Henk van Velden

Thanks to both of you for your help. Might be confusing to move this thread now? Can I leave it as it is and take note for the future?

I pressed the upgrade install without reviewing the packages. I think I know what happened. I had been trying to install some software from the day before which had attempted an install of Leap - I aborted this but I suppose the repositories had been loaded. After I booted up the following day it looked at these and then gave me the Update notice. Without thinking I hit the button... OOps!

Same as in KDE4, unless you enable the option "Use different widgets for each virtual desktop" (or similar), which has been removed in Plasma5.
    You can use multiple activities instead of virtual desktops, then you can also set a different wallpaper for each of them.
    Sorry not clear here. Are you saying I can or can't in Plasma5? I can see if I load two different applications then the screens are different - that's good. But how do I change the wallpapers for each desktop? Changing the wallpaper on one changes it on the other so they are the same.

If I visit the Desktop Settings there is a selection for image (Wallpaper type) and the tiles of images underneath are all blank.

When I load Yast - it asks for my root password. Then it comes up with the usual list of utilities. If I click on any of them it runs a little timer icon (more of a circle really) and nothing happens. There is no outcome. No error message. eg Add-on Products - timer but no outcome and for all of the other utilities.

Thanks again and apologies it anything is unclear.

I wonder if this is connected to the Yast issue? If I click on the spanner in the top left of the Yast Control Panel > Windows Manager Settings > KDE Control Module. On Windows Decorations (say) clicking Get New Decorations I get the following error: Loading of Providers from file: http://download.kde.org/ocs/providers.xml failed. Perhaps this is why the rest of Yast doesn't work because it can't load repositories but with no error message? Anyway, why can't it load - url seems OK.

Thanks to both of you for your help. Might be confusing to move this thread now? Can I leave it as it is and take note for the future?
    Depends (as I tried to explain) on your interests.

As a member I would not even have read your thread because of the worthless title (as a mod, amongst other things, I try to help people to have the best experience on the forums, e.g. by explaining how things work, thus I open threads I wouldn't have done as mere member).

And even if I would have opened it (boring moment?) I would not have started any answering because in my experience answering in a multi-problem thread is confusing and frustrating.

Other people might be more lenient, have more spare time or whatever. And when you think you are helped well by them, why woul you take the effort to reformulate your problems?
    Henk van Velden

Sorry not clear here. Are you saying I can or can't in Plasma5? I can see if I load two different applications then the screens are different - that's good. But how do I change the wallpapers for each desktop? Changing the wallpaper on one changes it on the other so they are the same.
    You cannot set a wallpaper for each virtual desktop separately.

You can only set one wallpaper per activity.

If I visit the Desktop Settings there is a selection for image (Wallpaper type) and the tiles of images underneath are all blank.
    Normally it should load and display them, at least the visible part of the list. Maybe some timeout while loading or similar?
    Try to scroll up and down, are they appearing then?

I think I remember other reports of similar issues, but I don't see that here (on 13.2).

When I load Yast - it asks for my root password. Then it comes up with the usual list of utilities. If I click on any of them it runs a little timer icon (more of a circle really) and nothing happens. There is no outcome. No error message. eg Add-on Products - timer but no outcome and for all of the other utilities.
    Your upgrade was probably incomplete, because you used the standard updater, which is not designed to upgrade to a different version.
    Try to run "zypper dup" (after removing the 13.2 repos...) to fully upgrade.

In this particular case you probably miss (some of) the packages libyui7, libyui-qt7, libyui-qt-pkg7.
    Install them and YaST should work:
    Code:
    sudo zypper in libyui7 libyui-qt7 libyui-qt-pkg7
    I wonder if this is connected to the Yast issue? If I click on the spanner in the top left of the Yast Control Panel > Windows Manager Settings > KDE Control Module. On Windows Decorations (say) clicking Get New Decorations I get the following error: Loading of Providers from file: http://download.kde.org/ocs/providers.xml failed. Perhaps this is why the rest of Yast doesn't work because it can't load repositories but with no error message? Anyway, why can't it load - url seems OK.
    No, that's completely unrelated.

Are you using a proxy?
    There were problems downloading the "Get New" lists in that case.

You cannot set a wallpaper for each virtual desktop separately
    Shame, I liked that feature in 13.2

Try to scroll up and down, are they appearing then?
    Nope

In this particular case you probably miss (some of) the packages libyui7, libyui-qt7, libyui-qt-pkg7.
    Install them and YaST should work:
    Refreshing service 'Skrooge'.
    Unexpected exception.
    Parse error: repoindex.xml[75] Specification mandate value for attribute data-sortable
    History:
    - repoindex.xml[67] Entity 'nbsp' not defined
    - repoindex.xml[57] Entity 'nbsp' not defined
    Please file a bug report about this.
    See http://en.opensuse.org/Zypper/Troubleshooting for instructions.

Are you using a proxy?
    Nope

Thanks for persevering despite your misgivings on my questions and presentation.

Shame, I liked that feature in 13.2
    Strictly speaking it was not possible in 13.2 (KDE4) either.
    But KDE4 had an option to implicitely create a separate *activity* for each virtual desktop.

Again, you can set a different wallpaper for each activity.
    So if you want/need that feature, set the number of virtual desktops to 1, and use several activities instead.

Refreshing service 'Skrooge'.
    Unexpected exception.
    Why "Refreshing *service* 'Skrooge'"?
    I don't think such a thing exists...
    Actually you shouldn't use "services" at all.

Please post the output of:
    Code:
    zypper ls -rs

Result from -
    Code:
    zypper ls -rs
    is
    Code:
    Unknown option 's'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast