Thread: Problems with widgets in dual display with clone mode

Unhappy Problems with widgets in dual display with clone mode

Hey, I am experiencing a problem with my setup, dual CSF Sapphire R9 290 with Catalyst and two monitors; it's the same in Arch linux (minus the mouse corruptions and the others) see here, not much echo about it in the arch community though https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=203908 . Every time Plasma starts (even when re-logging), but sometimes even after a longer usage time (the behavior is purely random, tried in the last few months to figure an action/application/etc related to it, nothing except when Plasma somehow starts) I get a default look, with the default wallpaper and no widgets. I have to right click desktop > Add widgets, then my widgets are coming back, my wallpaper so on. Using a Dell monitor and my Samsung TV (connected through a Yamaha A/V receiver) with same full HD resolution, in clone mode if it makes any difference.

Anyone else with the same problem? Is it Plasma 5 or the dreadful Catalyst drivers? Or something else?

Nice work on Leap, BTW! For now seems the best distro to experience Plasma 5! But I think you should drop that ugly menu with ugly icons, and use instead the default Plasma 5 one; if you are not trying to appeal to Windows Millenium fanbase that is. Seems also so ... gnomish for you. Here and there, users are also getting some ugly icons, clearly not from the Breeze theme, what is going on, they had a huge update fixing everything icon related?

Funny note: back from Arch where I am having this issue https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=203161 At the first shutdown openSUSE Leap froze on me (after the installation and a few more tweaks and packages) - almost smashed my PC and my wife got a heart attack because of the screams, and swears. Was going nuts with this one on Arch right from the start. But it's fine in fact - had to remove the installer stick from the repolist, else you got quite a few errors if it's not connected. Why is that, any thoughts?
    Don't take in vain the name root...

Unhappy Re: Problems with widgets in dual display with clone mode

Anyone else with the same problems?

Angry Re: Problems with widgets in dual display with clone mode

I still have this problem, even after all this time and a lot of updates. And even on a second install, on another SSD...

Default Re: Problems with widgets in dual display with clone mode

BTW, the same is true for Archlinux, so it's about Plasma 5 and not an openSUSE specific problem. But hey! You are the gods of KDE, right? And now the behavior is consistent - no widgets and no wallpaper, only after each login. I still have to click (why? why? why???) the Add widgets from the right click menu to get my desktop back.

Default Re: Problems with widgets in dual display with clone mode

Pinging this one more time - for me it is still a disaster: now I got some weird behavior (it's still there if for example I reset Plasma 5 by renaming .config), my widgets disappear from my "regular" desktop (ie the one that I have to click "Add widgets" to get my widgets) and I find the after reboot on my initial, empty one... WTH ?

Thumbs down Re: Problems with widgets in dual display with clone mode [SOLVED - by disabling dual display...]

In an effort to make it work I updated:
    -the kernel to 4.6;
    -xorg;
    -dropped Catalyst and I am using Gallium.
    It was doing the same thing on both openSUSE and Arch - so it's just Plasma 5. Fiddled with the dual display and the problem is gone, more to the point: disabled the TV. So problem is solved, but this is still a bug with the Plasma dual display...