Installing third party RPM's in Leap

Okay first major issue, I want to install google chrome plus a few other third party .rpms in Leap but seems like there is no way to do it anymore.
Apper is gone, YAST cant open it, what kind of **** is this?
Do we have to go back to the bad old days of making a rpm folder or use commandline?
How do I install third party RPM’s now?
With magic?

It is not. It’s just not installed by default any more, as it is a KDE4 application and the update notifier doesn’t work at all in Plasma5.
It’s still in the repos though, just install it.

YAST cant open it

It can.
Run “kdesu yast2 sw_single name_of_rpm” or similar.

There was another thread about this a while ago that even shows how to create an “Open With…” entry for that.

Do we have to go back to the bad old days of making a rpm folder or use commandline?

That’s one option, yes.
But you don’t have to do it on the command line.
You can also add a folder as repo in YaST->Software Repositories.

Or just use “zypper in name_of_rpm” or “rpm -i name_of_rpm”.

For Chrome, Google does provide a repo though.

Well i did work it out sort of, unfortunately the rpm doesnt work right now.
I will have to wait a bit before the RPM become compatible with openSUSE
I will test if it works in fedora 23 as well and I may have to belay my comparison.
Also I guess updates will be a complete mystery in openSUSE now?
No notifications period?
Looks like the move to KDE5 is a real **** idea right now as far as openSUSE is concerned.

You should have an update notifier in the system tray, plasma5-pk-updates (it might be hidden if there are no updates, click on the up arrow to see the hidden icons)

No notifications period?

You mean for updates?
There is, you can choose to check daily, weekly, or monthly for updates in the updater’s settings (right-click on the icon).

Looks like the move to KDE5 is a real **** idea right now as far as openSUSE is concerned.

Well, that’s your opinion… Others like Kubuntu (and I think Fedora too) switched much earlier though.

Is openSUSE that unreliable for you that this is your guess? Why not guess it will be the same/as good as is used to be.

No notifications period?

Maybe things would be easier if you just asked. People could provide real info.

Many people use zypper to update and install these days. Am a bit old-fashiioned and prefer using yast. To install chrome I just downloaded the rpm from:

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

Made a folder called ‘my updates’, added the rpm file to this and added the folder in yast as a local repo folder. Then just installed - again using yast - no problems at all.

if you do a search for chrome in this forum you’ll find a way to add google’s chrome URL as a repo and then you can install and update chrome with zypper or yast.
import google’s PGP key

sudo rpm --import https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub

add google’s repo and pull chrome

sudo zypper ar http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64 google-chrome
sudo zypper in google-chrome-stable

ps you can install rpm’s from the command line with rpm or zypper
rpm -i <path_to_rpm>
zypper in<path_to_rpm>

Still should be able to do it via GUI, openSUSE after all is considered a intermediate distro

if the rpm is properly signed and you have the public key you can, you can even do it with yast with unsigned rpm’s.
apper is still here, so are a few other packagekit front-ends.

The man’s got a point. As much as I love to use the terminal, there should be a default graphical way to install RPMs.
Things like this are the ones that scares non-technical/non-programmer users.

Just my two cents.

Well, there is only one KDE application that can install RPMs AFAIK: apper
It is still available as mentioned, just install it with YaST or zypper.

But it would not be a good idea if we would again install it by default, for those reasons:

• it is a KDE4 application
  • many people hate it
  • it might interfere with the default updater, and cause double update notifications and things like that
  • limitations of PackageKit, in particular not being able to let the user solve conflicts or other problems (that prevents people from installing Google Chrome with Apper anyway because the signing key cannot be verified, see many other threads here about this problem)

A file association to open RPMs with YaST was included upto 13.1, but then has been removed by the YaST developers (only because of that has Apper become the default application for handling RPM.
And it doesn’t look like they want to put it back.

We could of course ship it in the KDE branding packages though, I think that’s probably the best.

A bug report is here btw:
http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=954143

For YaST, create file “/usr/local/share/applications/install_sw_yast2.desktop” containing:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
X-SuSE-translate=true
Name=Install/Remove Software with YaST2
GenericName=Install/Remove Software with YaST2
Exec=xdg-su -c "/sbin/yast2 sw_single %F"
Icon=yast-sw_single
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=System;PackageManager;X-SuSE-ControlCenter-System;
MimeType=application/x-rpm;application/x-redhat-package-manager;
StartupNotify=true

And for zypper, that could be “/usr/local/share/applications/install_sw_zypper.desktop” containing:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
X-SuSE-translate=true
Name=Install/Remove Software with YaST2
GenericName=Install/Remove Software with YaST2
Exec=xdg-su -c "/sbin/yast2 sw_single %F"
Icon=yast-sw_single
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true

Yes, putting it into /usr/local is on purpose, and after next login, the item(s) should be available via context menu for (aka “right click” on) rpm packages in the file manager.

AK

P.S. Draw back (at least of the zypper variant): The packages will be stored under /var/cache/zypper and remain there until being cleaned up manually (bug or feature, choose your own opinion).

Ehm, how is this for zypper?
It has exactly the same content… (calling YaST)

Wrong paste? :wink:

Btw, this file is actually still included (as /usr/share/applications/package-manager.desktop), but it contains the line “NotShowIn=KDE;GNOME;MATE;”, so it is not shown in the application (or right-click) menu.
Firefox does still offer to “open” downloaded RPMs with it though, as I noticed not too long ago…

P.S. Draw back (at least of the zypper variant): The packages will be stored under /var/cache/zypper and remain there until being cleaned up manually (bug or feature, choose your own opinion).

Well, Apper did keep the downloaded packages as well, in /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER/…

Yep, the file looks actually like this:

[Desktop Entry]
X-SuSE-translate=true
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Install Software (zypper)
Exec=xdg-su -c "zypper install  %F"
Icon=package-manager-icon
Terminal=true
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true

Actually, that was the reason I created those files (a few years ago, when I started using fluxbox as my main WM and wanted this feature available no matter which WM/DE is used), maybe that file or its predecessor was my template back then.

AK

For the reason of sanity and consistency, I will add this alternative solution, which IMO is much cleaner/better.

I have been using this for quite some time now, so the above “hand crafted” .desktop files are just left overs which I posted as they were my solution before I found something better.

As we are talking about RPMs the user has downloaded manually, why not integrate those files into a local “plain dir” type repository?

As a matter of fact, this is quite simple to do, you just need a (persistent) folder where you can (check permissions!) you store your downloaded RPM files, let’s say /home/YOUR_USERNAME_HERE/Downloads/RPMS (only an example, the folder could also be located somewhere else).

/etc/zypp/repos.d/my_RPMS.repo

[my_RPMS]
name=my_RPMS
enabled=1
autorefresh=1
baseurl=dir:///home/YOUR_USERNAME_HERE/Downloads/RPMS
path=/
type=plaindir
priority=99
keeppackages=0

With this, all RPM files in that folder will be available to zypper/YaST/apper(?) like any other package from other repos and can be installed via standard package management tools.

In the example above, packages from the “my_RPMS” repo will only be considered a “nr. 1 candidate” if there is no other compatible package available so adjusting the “priority” line to your needs might be in order.

Yes, I know, the standard repos have extra metadata about packages, but for most standard tasks, these limitations are not a problem.

He there!

It was quite a long time sins I created a local directory sins app. didn’t manage 3:e rpm’s. The solution was here at the forum.

Konsole/rpm command line still working fine but I prefer to save my 3:e rpm’s DL’s to a local directory and then use YaST2.

My **/etc/zypp/repos.d/rpm_lokalt.repo:

rpm_lokalt]
name=rpm lokalt
enabled=1
autorefresh=1
baseurl=dir:///home/xxx/rpm
path=/
type=plaindir
keeppackages=0

Works fine for me when I want to install something that is not in the repos on I have configure in i-net. But that’s my personal opinion.

Regards

Nowadays,
You can create a repo using the command line which can avoid typing and other mistakes when you edit the repo files directly.

So, the following would create the above repo using the command line, except maybe for some reason you want to auto remove packages from the repo?..

zypper ar -f /home/xxx/rpm "rpm lokalt"

Then refresh your repositories to make your new repo searchable by YAST and zypper

zypper ref

TSU

What?

Oh now.

Regards