Missing 32-bit version of new openSUSE 42.1 :(

Why is there no 32-bit version of new openSUSE 42.1?
Will it be uploaded soon? When?

My understanding is there will not be one officially.

Too bad, guess 13.2 will stay on my 32-bit Mac for a while longer.

Do someone know why there is no 32-bit version of openSUSE 42.1?

On Wed 04 Nov 2015 01:56:01 PM CST, bigbenaugust wrote:

Too bad, guess 13.2 will stay on my 32-bit Mac for a while longer.

Hi
What model MAC, sure it’s not 64bit capable…?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 | GNOME 3.10.1 | 3.12.48-52.27-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Because the people that did the release consider it obsolete. x86_64 is around since 10 years already.

And SLE12 (on which Leap is partly based) is only available for 64bit too.

It might become available as part of the “Ports” though, like ARM and PPC.
(if volunteers step up to do it)

It is a MacBookPro1,1, and yes, it turns 9 years old really soon. It has a 64-bit processor and 32-bit EFI firmware, and so has been limited to 32-bit OSes (like MacOS X 10.6 was the last one Apple supported for it).
But I wonder if some chainloading could be done with rEFInd and a GRUB install on the openSUSE partition. Hmmm…

But anyway, scouring the internet hasn’t been extremely helpful other than planting the above idea in my head.

But there are still old (but very good to operate on) 32-bit computers that people like me use!!!
This mean only one thing - FU developers and BYE BYE openSUSE and WELCOME ANOTHER DISTRIBUTION (maybe Mageia or Fedora?)!!!

Yes, but it costs resources to build it (both human and technical).

As I wrote, a 32bit version of Leap might be available as “Port”.

And there’s still 13.1 and 13.2 (both are still supported for a while), and even Tumbleweed (the rolling distribution) comes as 32bit flavor.

This mean only one thing - FU developers and BYE BYE openSUSE and WELCOME ANOTHER DISTRIBUTION (maybe Mageia or Fedora?)!!!

Watch your tone, please.

Feel free to volunteer for (helping with) creating a 32bit Leap.
openSUSE is a community distribution. Everybody is (or can be) a developer as well.

Thanks for telling me “FU”…

What does it mean? What is “Port”?

Excuse me :frowning:

It’s a version of openSUSE for a not-officially-supported platform.

A “Port” already exists for ARM and PPC (13.2 at least, Leap not yet I think), one for x86 would be possible too.
And probably even easier as all the packages are still built and published for x86 too in Tumbleweed.

I’ve also considered just going to Tumbleweed on the old Mac >:)

Hi
I have a MacBook3,1 (late 2007) but that has the 64bit efi… You could try chainloading, maybe try the Leap net install and see if it will boot from the usb image via rEFInd…?

Suggest you keep an eye on the Factory Mailing List. Some have suggested that would be a better product for dropping the 32-bit version, given its regular cutting edge snapshots.

I was on the Factory mailing list for a whole week, and it blew up my inbox, so I unsubscribed. But there is certainly a logic to that decision should it come true.

I can imagine that. :slight_smile: It’s safer to read the archive with your browser, and updates quite quickly (for an archive that is).

I have yet to see someone who complains about it to open bug report and request support for such combination. Now when kernel supports different firmware bit size it should be matter of fixing several user applications and adding 32 bit bootloader to DVD. Of course it won’t happen overnight, but it will never happen if nobody makes request and helps in testing.

On Wed 04 Nov 2015 05:16:01 PM CST, consused wrote:

bigbenaugust;2735007 Wrote:
> I was on the Factory mailing list for a whole week, and it blew up my
> inbox, so I unsubscribed. But there is certainly a logic to that
> decision should it come true.
I can imagine that. :slight_smile: It’s safer to read the archive with your browser,
and updates quite quickly (for an archive that is).

Hi
Use nntp via gmane, they are also good at adding groups, no inbox
blowing up here…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 | GNOME 3.10.1 | 3.12.48-52.27-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

I never thought of it as a bug, just a corner case too rare to bother supporting. There can’t be that many 9-year-old dual-booting Macs out there. Besides, there is still an i586 install available that worked just fine until today. And it will continue to work fine until 13.2 gets desupported.

I find it interesting that almost all the repo’s include 32bit packages (not sure about the Kernel)
maybe a zypper dup would be sufficient (I would not recommend it as some i586 repo’s seam to be empty)
I remember reading that the 4.x Kernels would be optimized for older x86 processors so it’s kind of strange not having a 32bit port.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY0OTc
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=More-x86-ASM-To-C-Linux
but I’m not a developer so what do I know