Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System Tray seems broken in KDE Leap

Default System Tray seems broken in KDE Leap

Having a problem with random icons occasionally not loading in system tray.
    This persists across two different clean install using two separately downloaded ISOs.

On boot, more often than not the volume icon is not loaded in systray. Around 50% - 60% of the time fcitx systray icon is not loaded.
    The services themselves are running.
    Sometimes logging out and back in fixes the problem - sometimes not.

It can be repaired for the session by removing systray and adding it back in. However, this raises another problem. On both my systems - after removing systray and clicking to add a new systray widget plasma crashes and then loads systray with the missing icons again. The only procedure that works successfully is to remove systray > log out and back in > add new systray.
    Selecting to "always show" in systray settings has no effect.

This is going to get pretty tiring if I have to go through this procedure every time I have to boot.

Had a quick look but couldn't find a bug report. Anybody else having systray issues. I thought perhaps it might be related to fcitx - but removing this and all config files doesn't correct the problem.

How it should look

How it usually looks (you can see the spaces where the missing icons should be)

Mark F.
    Lenovo SL510, Intel GMA X4500
    openSUSE Leap 42.2

KDE Plasma 5.8.6, Kernel 4.4.57-168.3-default

Default Re: System Tray seems broken in KDE Leap

seems to be this . . .

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=352580

and the suggested temporary workaround . . .

A quick work around to get them back is to toggle categories > miscellaneous in System Tray Settings
    I'll give this a try when I get home later
    Mark F.
    openSUSE Leap 42.2

Blog Entries

I've seen this in Tumbleweed, thought it was some old config glitch in my user account, but it's gone after the latest Plasma5 updates, so I'd say a fix is on the way.
    - Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 64 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540, openSUSE Leap 42.1
    - ASUS A73SD, Intel + GT610M Optimus, 6 GB, 2 x 120 GB SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed+Leap

Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    I've seen this in Tumbleweed, thought it was some old config glitch in my user account, but it's gone after the latest Plasma5 updates, so I'd say a fix is on the way.
    Not really.
    This is still being investigated...

But it occurs quite randomly, sometimes all plasmoids are show, sometimes one is missing/blank.

Btw, another "fix" is to enable/disable one of the plasmoids in the system tray settings, or restart plasmashell.

I've seen this in Tumbleweed... ...but it's gone after the latest Plasma5 updates...
    Same here, a space where a volume icon had previously presented in the system tray. After the update here the space could be removed by enable/disable of the volume feature in systray settings, and hasn't returned. Otherwise it just remained.
    Leap 42.2 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.6) ~ crawling updates
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (Btrfs, KDE Plasma5) ~ spinning with updates

I've seen this in Tumbleweed... ...but it's gone after the latest Plasma5 updates...
    Same here, a space where a volume icon had presented in the system tray. After the update here the space could be removed by enable/disable of the volume feature in systray settings, and hasn't returned. Otherwise it just remained, and remains a problem on Leap.
    Leap 42.2 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.6) ~ crawling updates
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (Btrfs, KDE Plasma5) ~ spinning with updates

all the suggested fixes seem to work - so hopefully a permanent fix not too far away.
    toggling miscellaneous gets my vol icon back and toggling services gets my IME back.

A separate - but I guess very related issue . . . .

Has anybody had any luck getting a dropbox icon to show in the taskbar / tray?
    Seems to be a widespread issue across distributions using plasma 5 . . . with a lot of distributions posting temp fixes. Haven't come across one that works for openSUSE yet.
    ????
    Mark F.
    openSUSE Leap 42.2

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    Seems to be a widespread issue across distributions using plasma 5 . . . with a lot of distributions posting temp fixes. Haven't come across one that works for openSUSE yet.
    ????
    Never used dropbox, so no idea.

But Plasma5 should show old-style system tray icons meanwhile, via xembed-sni-proxy which is installed by default.

I remember a thread about that in the KDE forums though.
    Apparently Dropbox bundles its own version of Qt5 which causes problems.

See https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?...27684&p=344452 .
    Last edited by wolfi323; 04-Nov-2015 at 07:20.

Quote Originally Posted by farcusnz View Post
    ????

My experience with the same issue ... so rebuilt system from an image taken just before installing Dropbox and Viber ... installed DB first .. straight from the repo but included the nautilus-extension dropbox, which i had not installed the first time around .. and straight up the DB icon appeared in the system tray.

HOWEVER, then installed viber.rpm and configured only to find the DB icon now gone missing from the systray.

Used Yast to DE-instal viber and the DB icon comes back??!!

For what it is worth

openSUSE Leap 42.1
    KDE Plasma 5.4.3, Kernel 4.1.12-1-default
    openSUSE Leap 42.2 : KDE Plasma 5.8.6 : Qt Version 5.6.1 : Kernel 4.4.62-18.6-default : OS Type 64-bit : 4 Core 15.6 GIB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by griadooss View Post
    My experience with the same issue ... so rebuilt system from an image taken just before installing Dropbox and Viber ... installed DB first .. straight from the repo but included the nautilus-extension dropbox, which i had not installed the first time around .. and straight up the DB icon appeared in the system tray.

HOWEVER, then installed viber.rpm and configured only to find the DB icon now gone missing from the systray.

Used Yast to DE-instal viber and the DB icon comes back??!!

For what it is worth

openSUSE Leap 42.1
    KDE Plasma 5.4.3, Kernel 4.1.12-1-default
    my issue with the dropbox tray icon not loading was due to FCITX (IME I use for Japanese input). For some reason it prevents old style tray icons loading. I've now switched to ibus as an alternative IME and dropbox tray icon (if you can call it that with its ugly black background) appears fine.
    Mark F.
    openSUSE Leap 42.2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast