Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samba issue - Tumbleweed

Default Samba issue - Tumbleweed

Gentlemen,

seems I'm having another problem, with Samba.. do I need to start a new thread for that or is it okay to mention, here?
    The issue is, my Samba is running, I have a folder from the Suse system mapped in my Windows machine (however, I was not able to find it on the network or use the PC name, I had to use the IP address, but works). The other direction (mapping windows folder in linux) doesn't work even if using an IP address.. Could you, please, advice. Below a log from testparm.

Code:
    linux-f81o:~ # testparm -s
    Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
    rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
    Can't find include file /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
    Processing section "[homes]"
    Processing section "[profiles]"
    Processing section "[users]"
    Processing section "[groups]"
    Processing section "[printers]"
    Processing section "[print$]"
    Processing section "[tasklist]"
    Loaded services file OK.
    Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
    [global]
            workgroup = MSTEP
            netbios name = DEMAG_PC
            security = USER
            map to guest = Bad User
            printcap name = cups
            add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
            logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
            logon drive = P:
            logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
            domain master = No
            usershare max shares = 100
            idmap config * : backend = tdb
            cups options = raw
            include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf

[homes]
            comment = Home Directories
            valid users = %S %D%w%S
            read only = No
            write ok = Yes
            inherit acls = Yes
            browseable = No                                                                 

[profiles]                                                                              
            comment = Network Profiles Service                                              
            path = %H                                                                       
            read only = No                                                                  
            write ok = Yes                                                                  
            create mask = 0600                                                              
            directory mask = 0700                                                           
            store dos attributes = Yes                                                      

[users]                                                                                 
            comment = All users                                                             
            path = /home                                                                    
            read only = No                                                                  
            write ok = Yes                                                                  
            inherit acls = Yes                                                              
            veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/                                        

[groups]                                                                                
            comment = All groups                                                            
            path = /home/groups                                                             
            read only = No                                                                  
            write ok = Yes                                                                  
            inherit acls = Yes                                                              

[printers]                                                                              
            comment = All Printers                                                          
            path = /var/tmp                                                                 
            create mask = 0600                                                              
            printable = Yes                                                                 
            print ok = Yes
            browseable = No

[print$]
            comment = Printer Drivers
            path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
            write list = @ntadmin root
            force group = ntadmin
            create mask = 0664
            directory mask = 0775

[tasklist]
            path = /home/scrum/Documents
            read only = No
            write ok = Yes
            inherit acls = Yes
    La vie est une cerise La mort est un noyau L'amour un cerisier.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Samba issue - Tumbleweed

I think you want to do this:

Adjust the Samba in Linux set up so that:

• You can literally see the Linux shares in windows machine's network browser
    • You can see the windows shares in Dolphin file frowser using the addressing smb://...etc...etc
    • and you'd like to mount various folders without having to use IP addresses (presumably these are not stationary IP's, rathed assigned by router, whatever).

Is that right?

If "yes" then please tell me which Linux folder/directory or folders/directories you'd like to see in windows machine.
    Also, I assume it's OK to use a workgroup? Yes/no?
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Hi swerdna,

great to see you, again!
    You are absolutely right. I use the workgroup MSTEP for all machines in the network. This is a simple, single-router network. I used to see the shares in the Network folder, before. But after I set the share "tasklist" I cannot see the shares, anymore.
    "tasklist" is the one I would like to see. But, this I am able to mount using an IP address of the Linux machine. More importantly, I would need to map folders from my Windows machines (I am able to see them in the network and map them from other Windows machines but when I open the Network folder or Samba shares folder in Dolphin, its nothing, there.).

Thank you

Blog Entries

You can edit the Samba config file with console command like this:
    Code:
    kdesu dolphin /etc/samba/smb.conf
    I suggest two changes (1) to tweak visibility of shares in Samba LAN and (2) to manage the permissions in Tasklist a bit better

Change [global] stanza to this:
    Code:
    [global]
    workgroup = MSTEP
    netbios name = DEMAG_PC
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    os level = 64
    server string = "Name that you like"
    printcap name = cups
    cups options = raw
    use client driver = yes
    map to guest = Bad User
    usershare allow guests = Yes
    I think there is a user called scrum, I think you do not want to use username/password to access the share, in which case change [tasklist] stanza to this:
    Code:
    [tasklist]
    path = /home/scrum/Documents
    read only = No
    guest ok = yes
    force user = scrum
    I have more to say but need attend to the kdz, will edit this more in a while
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Blog Entries

You need to have correct (firewall) access to the Linux computer.
    • GoTo Yast ==> security and users ==> firewall ==> service start ==> enable firewall auto start
    • then also in firewall set Interfaces ==> highlight the network interface and set it to External Zone
    • then also in firewall set Allowed Services ==> Service to allow ==> make in the lower panel to contain Netbios Server (and) Samba Client (and) Samba Server

These changes will percolate around the LAN in time but it might help to be faster if you reboot the Linux computer and the windows computers too (they always say "hi" to each other and chat when they boot up).

More re firewall: http://swerdna.dyndns.org/susesambaserver.html#firewall
    More re shares and [stanzas] : http://swerdna.dyndns.org/susesambaserver.html#shares
    More re [global] : http://swerdna.dyndns.org/suselanprimer.html#lmb
    some thoughts about windows shares: http://swerdna.dyndns.org/susesambawin7.html
    [caution: (1) daylight time GMT+10 links & obsolete available (2) was written for openSUSE 10/11, so old]
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Blog Entries

And I forgot this one which tells whether Samba daemons are switched on:

Yast ==> System ==> Services Manager ==> Find nmb and smb and ensure they both reflect Enabled and Active
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Thank you, swerdna.
    I updated the [Global] part of configuration only, as I want the tasklist to be only accessible with a password.
    Could you, please, let me know which of my old configuration commands did the problem actually? So that I could be aware, next time.
    Zone set.
    Services are allowed.
    Services are enabled and active.

Now I can access the network from Linux and seems it works well. You are more or less a wizard to me, thanks again.

One more thing. I somehow did that after reboot the system automatically logs in. This I don't want. Moreover, it logs in another account that the one I need to use. This account even has a password set, but the system doesn't ask for that.. I don't understand how this is possible..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sudanec View Post
    One more thing. I somehow did that after reboot the system automatically logs in. This I don't want. Moreover, it logs in another account that the one I need to use. This account even has a password set, but the system doesn't ask for that.. I don't understand how this is possible..

If there's an auto login try this: Yast ==> Security and Users ==> User & Group management ==> Highlight/choose the offending username and click the "Expert Options" ==> "Login Options" turn it off.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sudanec View Post
    Thank you, swerdna.
    .....snip..............
    Could you, please, let me know which of my old configuration commands did the problem actually? So that I could be aware, next time.
    ....................snip..............
    Seemed that Linux was shining a dim light, so I focused on name-broadcasting and firewalls.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1 &KDE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast