Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to Plasma 5 - stable/recommended?

Default Thanks for explaining

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    There have been bug reports about this in earlier versions, but I cannot reproduce this with the current one.
    Are you sure you used Plasma5's systemsettings5?
    Yes.

However many of the points I posted got "stabilized" after a few re-logins and re-boots in which I repeated insistently to System Settings "You should do as I say" lol. Not sure exactly what happened under the hood.

But might also be because you run KDE4's systemsettings instead of Plasma5's systemsettings5.
    Actually the "Graphic Tablet" section is visible in Configure Desktop but it obviously doesn't work with Plasma. I have tried to contact the developer but no reply for the moment.

If you want to get rid of KDE4's systemsettings ("Configure Desktop") uninstall "kdebase4-workspace-addons". It is not removed automatically when installing Plasma5.
    Don't I need it any more?

No. KWallet5 is asking you whether it should import your old KDE4 wallet.
    The reason probably is because the networkmanager applet wants to open the wallet for wireless keys or similar.
    I use wicked. The dialog for KWallet appeared when I tried to access a password protected network in Dolphin. But that's not an issue, I handled it.

You shouldn't use both, they might interfere.
    Thanks for explaining. However again after those few reboots it seems everything works (hopefully long term).
    Not really unpredictable if you know the background...
    Speaking of that - do I need to clear any config or cache leftovers in home directory? E.g. files which will never be used by any app again (as they are for older versions for example).

Code:
    # rpm -qa ktp*
    ktp-desktop-applets-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
    ktp-auth-handler-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
    ktp-approver-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
    ktp-icons-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
    ktp-text-ui-15.08.2-3.10.x86_64
    ktp-filetransfer-handler-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
    ktp-common-internals-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
    ktp-contact-list-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
    ktp-send-file-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
    ktp-accounts-kcm-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
    ktp-kded-module-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
    ktp-contact-runner-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64

Default Re: Thanks for explaining

Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    Actually the "Graphic Tablet" section is visible in Configure Desktop but it obviously doesn't work with Plasma. I have tried to contact the developer but no reply for the moment.
    Yes, and this is no bug, so no use to tell the developer.
    Again, you need to use systemsettings5 to configure it for Plasma5, which is shown in the application menu by its upstream name "System Settings" in 13.2.
    "Configure Desktop" is the KDE4 version in 13.2. It has been renamed by openSUSE to separate it from YaST which actually changes the system-wide settings (KDE's "System Settings" only changes the user's settings).

Don't I need it any more?
    Depends.
    Some things are only available there, like the KDM configuration.

I use wicked. The dialog for KWallet appeared when I tried to access a password protected network in Dolphin. But that's not an issue, I handled it.
    Ok. Dolphin (or actually KIO) also stores passwords in KWallet. As Dolphin is now KF5 based, it uses KWallet5 which asked you whether you want to migrate the KDE4 wallet/passwords.

Thanks for explaining. However again after those few reboots it seems everything works (hopefully long term).
    Actually a reboot shouldn't be necessary.
    Logging out quits Plasma5 completely anyway.

Speaking of that - do I need to clear any config or cache leftovers in home directory? E.g. files which will never be used by any app again (as they are for older versions for example).
    You can, but it's not worth the bother I suppose.
    KDE4 applications store their config and data in ~/.kde4/, but you shouldn't delete everything as you are likely to still use KDE4 applications.

Code:
    # rpm -qa ktp*
    ktp-desktop-applets-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
    ktp-auth-handler-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
    ktp-approver-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
    ktp-icons-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
    ktp-text-ui-15.08.2-3.10.x86_64
    ktp-filetransfer-handler-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
    ktp-common-internals-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
    ktp-contact-list-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
    ktp-send-file-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
    ktp-accounts-kcm-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
    ktp-kded-module-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
    ktp-contact-runner-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
    Those are the latest versions.
    What exactly is your problem then?
    That you cannot specify a public IP address and port for file transfers in Jabber?
    Well, I never used Jabber either...

Btw, I mentioned a possible fix for your connection problem with Kopete earlier, that should be in 15.04.3 and up:
    https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kopete.g...8f00937e3ec609

This mentions libjingle, but I noticed meanwhile that openSUSE's kopete package is built *without* libjingle.
    I'll try to build a package with libjingle that you could try if you want...

Regarding your background color problem: I could reproduce that one, the color value was saved incorrectly. But after playing around a bit it works now (in particular I chose another color than black, after which it started to work even with black, not sure if that was what fixed it though).
    So there seems to be indeed some issue there.

Other settings are not at all "flakey" here though AFAICT.

Yes, and this is no bug, so no use to tell the developer.
    Sure. I just asked if he was planning to update the package for KF5.

Again, you need to use systemsettings5
    I am using only it.

Some things are only available there, like the KDM configuration.
    I will keep it then.

You can, but it's not worth the bother I suppose.
    KDE4 applications store their config and data in ~/.kde4/, but you shouldn't delete everything as you are likely to still use KDE4 applications.
    I was just thinking about what to backup. Where can I read which dot-prefixed directories are worth backing up? (~/.cache is obviously not)

Those are the latest versions.
    What exactly is your problem then?
    That you cannot specify a public IP address and port for file transfers in Jabber?
    Well, I never used Jabber either...

I have described the problem in this bug report. It is for Kopete but in fact the exact same thing happens in System Settings > Online Accounts.
    While I was still in KDE4 though I was able to connect using Telepathy and although there was no way to specify public IP address and port, I was able to send files to someone.

Btw, I mentioned a possible fix for your connection problem with Kopete earlier, that should be in 15.04.3 and up:
    https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kopete.g...8f00937e3ec609

This mentions libjingle, but I noticed meanwhile that openSUSE's kopete package is built *without* libjingle.
    I'll try to build a package with libjingle that you could try if you want...
    Yes, I remember you mentioning that, thanks. But AFAIK libjingle is for VoIP and videoconferencing. I am not sure it may replace core functional problem such as authentication? Of course I am just speculating at the moment and can't say anything before any of the KDE developers respond to the bug report.

The other thing specific to Plasma 5 is that once having configured the account (although not being able to connect) any further attempt to edit the settings leads to crash of the configuration window without message.

So there seems to be indeed some issue there.
    Good we found it then!

Other settings are not at all "flakey" here though AFAICT.
    There are a few other things too. I can't remember them all ATM. For example having an application start icon in Panel: In KDE4 I was able to right click it and edit the icon settings which gave me the option to add command line parameters to the program it runs. Trying to do it in Plasma gives me only some "Keyboard shortcuts" dialog.

I experience some crashes too while logging out but didn't pay much attention what exactly crashed as I was in a hurry. Next time I will try to write down the details.

Sure. I just asked if he was planning to update the package for KF5.
    Sorry, I don't quite follow you there.
    Which developer should update which package to what?

I am using only it.
    You said that you see it in "Configure Desktop", but that's the KDE4 version.
    So you don't find the graphics tablet configuration in systemsettings5?

I have to admit I confused it with the touchpad settings previously. That one is part of Plasma5 itself and is there in systemsettings5.
    I don't see any "Graphics tablet" settings in neither KDE4 nor Plasma5 here.
    What package contains it?

I was just thinking about what to backup. Where can I read which dot-prefixed directories are worth backing up? (~/.cache is obviously not)
    Most applications store their settings in some dot-prefixed directory. Better back them all up (although ~/.cache/ is not necessary, as you write).
    The standard locations nowadays are ~/.config/ (for settings) and ~/.local/ (for data), but especially older applications don't follow that standard yet. It's not really possible to make a general statement about those, though.

I have described the problem in this bug report. It is for Kopete but in fact the exact same thing happens in System Settings > Online Accounts.
    KTP uses a completely different technology than Kopete, so it definitely is *not* the same problem.
    Also Kopete cannot authenticate, while KTP crashes IIUYC...

Yes, I remember you mentioning that, thanks. But AFAIK libjingle is for VoIP and videoconferencing. I am not sure it may replace core functional problem such as authentication? Of course I am just speculating at the moment and can't say anything before any of the KDE developers respond to the bug report.
    Well, that commit I mention fixes authentification with Google's servers apparently.

The other thing specific to Plasma 5 is that once having configured the account (although not being able to connect) any further attempt to edit the settings leads to crash of the configuration window without message.
    The crash you mentioned in the other thread, right?
    We should stick to discussing that in one thread only, else this gets too confusing...

Good we found it then!
    Hm, I cannot really say I know what the reason for this problem is yet, or how to reliably reproduce it...
    I suppose I'll try a fresh user account to be sure.

For example having an application start icon in Panel: In KDE4 I was able to right click it and edit the icon settings which gave me the option to add command line parameters to the program it runs. Trying to do it in Plasma gives me only some "Keyboard shortcuts" dialog.
    Yeah, right.
    The settings somehow got lost during the port to Plasma5. They will surely get readded in one of the next versions.

Sorry, I don't quite follow you there.
    Which developer should update which package to what?
    The kcm_tablet package. See this and this.

You said that you see it in "Configure Desktop", but that's the KDE4 version.
    So you don't find the graphics tablet configuration in systemsettings5?
    Exactly. But after the upgrade to Plasma it shows in "Configure Desktop" like this:

I have to admit I confused it with the touchpad settings previously. That one is part of Plasma5 itself and is there in systemsettings5.
    I don't see any "Graphics tablet" settings in neither KDE4 nor Plasma5 here.
    What package contains it?
    kcm_tablet

Most applications store their settings in some dot-prefixed directory. Better back them all up (although ~/.cache/ is not necessary, as you write).
    The standard locations nowadays are ~/.config/ (for settings) and ~/.local/ (for data), but especially older applications don't follow that standard yet. It's not really possible to make a general statement about those, though.
    Thanks.

KTP uses a completely different technology than Kopete, so it definitely is *not* the same problem.
    Also Kopete cannot authenticate, while KTP crashes IIUYC...
    Yes. I read that Telepathy is a new framework. However the behavior of both Kopete and it are identical which might mean (speculation) that the code which is used for authentication is the same, although it might be interfaced to Telepathy framework. IIRC there were also other bug reports about authentication problems for Google accounts with KDE's instant messengers (Kopete/Telepathy).

BTW I have just tried with my old ICQ account and it can't connect too. It is constantly asking for the password and says it is incorrect although I typed it correctly many times. I also tried with another Gmail account (not using my Google Apps one) - same story. Authentication errors and never connecting. Tried that both in Kopete and Telepathy - same result.

I started thinking if it might be a network problem but considering that Pidgin can connect flawlessly - obviously the network is fine. I really don't know if and how people use any instant messenger in KDE.

EDIT: I can't connect with ICQ in Pidgin too, so that might not be related. But Google works ok in Pidgin.

Well, that commit I mention fixes authentification with Google's servers apparently.
    Strange. If it is a fix - why has it not made it to the current versions but only to libjingle? I am curious to know how would you proceed to compile it?

The crash you mentioned in the other thread, right?
    Yes.

We should stick to discussing that in one thread only, else this gets too confusing...
    You are right. I was just trying to stay on topic and that one was specifically for Telepathy and this one for Plasma in general. Please let me know where to write.

Hm, I cannot really say I know what the reason for this problem is yet, or how to reliably reproduce it...
    I suppose I'll try a fresh user account to be sure.
    Ok, that might be a good idea.

The settings somehow got lost during the port to Plasma5. They will surely get readded in one of the next versions.
    I thought so. Good then.

BTW the problem with the panel on the secondary (rotated 90deg) monitor appearing 2/3 from top keeps appearing after the update to Leap 42.1. After each of the 3 reboots I made - I always have to logout and relogin and then it gets "self fixed". The settings in both System Settings > Display and Monitor and NVIDIA X Server Settings are just as before the upgrade. (Upgrade/update... I don't know which is the more suitable term).
    Last edited by heyjoe; 03-Nov-2015 at 15:20. Reason: clarification

Default Re: Upgrade to Plasma 5 - stable/recommended?

BTW is there a way to disable that fading of the interface when logging out? I find Plasma logout too slow, not sure if it is related to visual effects but I used to see it very fast in KDE4 (I am on an SSD and with 32GB ram).

More strangeness:

Last night I shut down the computer. This morning I boot into Leap 42.1 and it proceeds to Plasma (which is normal). Suddenly while the K-gear logo with the progress bar is on, the main monitor switches to a lower resolution (native is 2560x1440) equal to the native resolution of the secondary monitor (1600x1200) and once logged in it stays like that. Additionally the desktop is completely blank (no icons which I crated earlier) and there is an empty panel over the default one, hiding it.

So: atfirst I right clicked on the empty desktop, log out and login (I just thought it might be some temporary glitch). But after login nothing changed. Then I removed the extra panel which strangely removed the second default panel which normally resides at the bottom of the secondary monitor. Strangely the desktop icons were restored too.

Logout, login - no, the resolution is still not native on the primary monitor. So I went to systemsettings5 and had to reconfigure the display setup. Then everything seems to be back to normal.

Additionally I noticed that at one of the logout attempts Plasma crashed with a suggestion to send a bug report but I couldn't do it because I have no debug symbols installed. When it suggested to install them I said 'yes' and a console opened asking for root password. I entered it and there was a quick refresh of repos + 2 red lines (perhaps some error messages) after which the console closed and I was back in the bug report dialog without debug symbols installed. I suppose it was unable to install them because of the lack of update/debug repos in Leap 42.1 or because the debug repo is disabled?

Not sure what to do and why this happens.

The kcm_tablet package. See this and this.

Exactly. But after the upgrade to Plasma it shows in "Configure Desktop" like this:
    Again, that is the KDE4 version.
    And it won't work in Plasma5.

Apparently a port to KF5 is available already (but not released yet), someone created a package here:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...E_13.2/x86_64/

That's for 13.2, but I suppose it should work in Leap as well.

Strange. If it is a fix - why has it not made it to the current versions but only to libjingle?
    libjingle is shipped with Kopete. The fix is in the current versions.
    But libjingle is not built in the openSUSE package.

I am curious to know how would you proceed to compile it?
    Branch it on OBS and make the appropriate changes (and then maybe submit it back).

Or download the source code and build it yourself. For KDE applications that normally means to run "cmake", then "make" and "make install".

BTW the problem with the panel on the secondary (rotated 90deg) monitor appearing 2/3 from top keeps appearing after the update to Leap 42.1. After each of the 3 reboots I made - I always have to logout and relogin and then it gets "self fixed". The settings in both System Settings > Display and Monitor and NVIDIA X Server Settings are just as before the upgrade. (Upgrade/update... I don't know which is the more suitable term).
    Have you tried to disable the KScreen2 service already?

As I said, it is not a good idea to use KDE's settings *and* nvidia-settings to set up the display. Both will try to apply their settings at login (maybe in a random order), and this might break things...
    Or remove the file that nvidia-settings creates, but I'm not sure where this is located... (no nvidia card here)

BTW is there a way to disable that fading of the interface when logging out? I find Plasma logout too slow, not sure if it is related to visual effects but I used to see it very fast in KDE4 (I am on an SSD and with 32GB ram).
    Turn off the "Logout" effect in systemsettings5->Workspace Behavior->Desktop Effects.

Additionally I noticed that at one of the logout attempts Plasma crashed with a suggestion to send a bug report but I couldn't do it because I have no debug symbols installed. When it suggested to install them I said 'yes' and a console opened asking for root password. I entered it and there was a quick refresh of repos + 2 red lines (perhaps some error messages) after which the console closed and I was back in the bug report dialog without debug symbols installed. I suppose it was unable to install them because of the lack of update/debug repos in Leap 42.1 or because the debug repo is disabled?

Not sure what to do and why this happens.
    You need to enable the debug repo (in YaST->Software Repositories e.g.), yes.

Again, that is the KDE4 version.
    And it won't work in Plasma5.
    Exactly. That's why I tried to get in touch with the developer.

Apparently a port to KF5 is available already (but not released yet), someone created a package here:
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...E_13.2/x86_64/
    Thanks. BTW is it safe to use such repositories (even if they are from download.opensuse.org)?

Thanks for explaining about libjingle. TBH it is not such a big pain and I don't insist on running Kopete at any price, so I don't want to waste your time with that. I have reported it to KDE bugzilla, so hopefully someone fixes it. In the meantime I can use Pidgin.

Have you tried to disable the KScreen2 service already?
    I looked for it but I don't see such name in YaST->Service Manager?

Turn off the "Logout" effect in systemsettings5->Workspace Behavior->Desktop Effects.
    Will do. Thanks!

You need to enable the debug repo (in YaST->Software Repositories e.g.), yes.
    Just to ask - does that mean installing debug versions of programs (which generally run slower etc) or any other side effects?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast