Upgrade to Plasma 5 - stable/recommended?

I have read this and this and also I know it is the default system for Tumbleweed. Right now I am using openSUSE 13.2 with KDE which was suggested during the OS install. A few months ago I had some headache with certain bugs in Tumbleweed and Plasma but many of them got fixed and I am thinking if it would be a good idea to give Plasma a new chance? So:

• Is it recommended to move to Plasma? Is it already stable and reliable or still somewhat buggy?
  • What would be the proper way to install it? Go to YaST and install “Plasma 5 Base System”? Or do I need to first add this repo: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Factory/
  • Will installing Plasma cause certain conflicts with existing KDE system?
  • Is there an “undo” (to go back to current KDE 4.14.9) or once installed Plasma packages replace KDE? Or will there be an option to switch between the two at login screen (like when installing XFCE or Gnome)?

Well, it is stable and reliable in my experience, and already was in the 5.0 Betas.
But this might also depend on your graphics card/driver.

Buggy? Yes it has bugs, but also KDE4 (and even KDE3) has, so…

One problem is that session management does not really work reliable for Qt5/KF5 applications.
And some people miss the separate widgets (or wallpapers) for each virtual desktop.
But you can just use multiple activities too, which actually is exactly what this function did anyway (although it does tie them to the virtual desktops).

Hard to say if I would “recommend” it to you.
It has great improvements in many areas, but there are also certain problems/missing features as mentioned.

In the end it mainly depends on your expectations and needs (and your taste probably).
But it is the (KDE’s) future.
KDE4 is not developed/maintained any more. The desktop and many applications do not even get bugfixes any more.

What would be the proper way to install it? Go to YaST and install “Plasma 5 Base System”? Or do I need to first add this repo: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Factory/

You definitely should not add that repo to your 13.2 system. It is for Factory as the URL indicates.

Actually Plasma5 is included in 13.2, albeit an older version (5.3.2).
If you want to have the latest one (5.4.2 at the moment), add those two repos:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt5/openSUSE_13.2
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_13.2
(you need a newer Qt5 for the latest Plasma5 too)

To install the Plasma5 desktop, you just need to install the package “plasma5-session”, this will pull in all necessary stuff.

If you use the additional repos, you should also do a full switch to them afterwards, to make sure you don’t have outdated packages from 13.2 installed.
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Vendor_change_update

Then choose “Plasma 5” at the login screen.

If you want to have all released KF5 applications too, you need to add the KDE:Applications repo as well (and do a full switch to it).

Will installing Plasma cause certain conflicts with existing KDE system?

Yes. You cannot install KDE4 (the desktop) and Plasma5 at the same time. Installing Plasma5 will remove the KDE4 Plasma desktop.

Is there an “undo” (to go back to current KDE 4.14.9) or once installed Plasma packages replace KDE?

If you just installed Plasma5, yes:
Just install kdebase4-session again, this will remove Plasma5 (some packages might be left-over though but they shouldn’t cause any harm) and reinstall the KDE4 desktop.

If you also switched other applications to the KF5 based versions, an automatic undo is not so easy (unless you use snapper…).

Or will there be an option to switch between the two at login screen (like when installing XFCE or Gnome)?

Not with the official packages, because Plasma5 will force you to uninstall the KDE4 desktop.

I do maintain a repo though that contains Plasma5 packages that are co-installable with KDE4.
Installing Plasma5 from there is basically the same, but you need to add another repo in addition to the above two:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/wolfi323:/branches:/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_13.2

I would recommend the following procedure:

sudo zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt5/openSUSE_13.2 Qt5
sudo zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_13.2 KF5
sudo zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/wolfi323:/branches:/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_13.2 wolfi323_KF5
sudo zypper in --from wolfi323_KF5 plasma5-session
sudo zypper dup --from Qt5 --from KF5 --from wolfi323_KF5

My repo also contains a lot of (released and unreleased) KF5 applications that are also co-installable with their KDE4 version, please have a look at YaST’s Repositories view to see what’s available.

Thanks wolfi!

[QUOTE=wolfi323;2734011]Well, it is stable and reliable in my experience, and already was in the 5.0 Betas.
But this might also depend on your graphics card/driver.
[/QUOTE]
GTX 680 with the driver from nVidia’s repo. Is that ok?

One problem is that session management does not really work reliable for Qt5/KF5 applications.

What does that mean?

And some people miss the separate widgets (or wallpapers) for each virtual desktop.

If that is the main problem it is not really a problem for me. I don’t use wallpapers and rarely use more than 1 desktop as I have 2 monitors.

But it is the (KDE’s) future.
KDE4 is not developed/maintained any more. The desktop and many applications do not even get bugfixes any more.

Then I guess it’s the only way? :slight_smile:

You definitely should not add that repo to your 13.2 system. It is for Factory as the URL indicates.

What exactly does Factory mean?

If you want to have the latest one (5.4.2 at the moment), add those two repos:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt5/openSUSE_13.2
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_13.2
(you need a newer Qt5 for the latest Plasma5 too)

Being separate from the main repo - are these stable too?

If you want to have all released KF5 applications too, you need to add the KDE:Applications repo as well (and do a full switch to it).

You mean this one?
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Applications/openSUSE_13.2/

If I add all these repos - how will that affect future upgrade (when next openSUS release is available)? Might there be some problems, so one better stick with the main repo only or?

I cannot tell you.
It should be ok.
But there are problems with the nvidia driver, some of them even in KDE4 already (screen tearing e.g.).
It depends on the particular card though, and maybe other factors too.

What does that mean?

KF5 or Qt5 based appplications that are running on logout are not reliably restarted on login.
AFAICT upto now, this is not a problem of Plasma5 per se, but rather a bug in Qt5/KF5 or the applications.

What I found out so far is that this seems to be because the applications apparently crash when they save their state.

If that is the main problem it is not really a problem for me. I don’t use wallpapers and rarely use more than 1 desktop as I have 2 monitors.

At least it seems to be a big problem for some people…
I never used different wallpapers either, not even in KDE3 times.

Then I guess it’s the only way? :slight_smile:

If you want to use KDE’s desktop, yes.
But you don’t have to switch now, if you are satisfied with KDE4.

What exactly does Factory mean?

It’s where Tumbleweed is developed, and was the name of the rolling distribution before it got renamed to Tumbleweed.

Being separate from the main repo - are these stable too?

Depends on what you mean with “stable”.
These are the development repos for Factory/Tumbleweed.
They always get the latest upstream versions, even before Tumbleweed.
So they are not “stable” in the sense that they do not change, they change/are updated rather often.

So they are basically untested, but as they only contain released versions (by KDE, which of course does test them) that’s not really problematic.

You mean this one?
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Applications/openSUSE_13.2/

Yes.
But if you use my repo, you don’t need it.

If I add all these repos - how will that affect future upgrade (when next openSUS release is available)? Might there be some problems, so one better stick with the main repo only or?

I successfully upgraded from 13.1 to 13.2 with those 3 repos.
The 2 “official” ones shouldn’t cause a problem anyway, as they basically contain what would be in the next openSUSE release if it were to be released now. If you upgrade later, you might already have newer versions installed as included in the next openSUSE release, which could in theory cause problems, as downgrades are sometimes not really well supported. This can of course be avoided if you just continue using the repos after the upgrade (change the URLs appropriately though).
I am using the additional KDE repos (for the latest KDE4 versions) since years and never had upgrade problems (this system has been freshly installed 12 years ago with SuSE 8.1, since then I only upgraded).

As KDE4 applications are being replaced by KF5 based ones (without changing the package name), you might have to manually uninstall my packages with ‘5’ in the name (some at least).
OTOH that’s not necessary of course if you intend to use my repo after the upgrade too.

If you are worried, or want to stay on the “safe” side, better stay with what is included in your installed openSUSE version though, I’d say.
And as Plasma5 in openSUSE 13.2 is mainly included as “technology review”, and is a bit older as mentioned, this would also imply to stay with KDE4.

Thanks a million for the extensive explanations, wolfi!
I am surely not in a hurry to upgrade right now but if I decide to - now I know how to do it according to this thread.

Speaking of all these upgrade-related things: is there a way to install newer Kopete in KDE4? I found it is unable to connect to my Google account and even filed a bug for it on KDE site. However later I saw KDE5 uses something called Telepathy which perhaps means Kopete will no longer be “fixed” for KDE4 (as you explained). I wonder what is the proper way to handle this?

The latest version is available in KDE:Applications.
You should be able to just update Kopete, add the repo and use YaST’s “Versions” tab to switch selected packages to a different repo.

Please note that mixing package versions like this is not recommended in general (and you should at least know what you are doing), but in this case there should be no problems.

However later I saw KDE5 uses something called Telepathy which perhaps means Kopete will no longer be “fixed” for KDE4 (as you explained). I wonder what is the proper way to handle this?

KDE5 doesn’t “use” anything.

KTelepathy uses Telepathy, you have to install that manually.
There is a KDE4 version too, it is available from KDE:Extra.

But as I never used that (nor even installed it), I cannot really tell you what you need.

And you can use the KF5 based version (from KDE:Applications) in KDE4 too I suppose (just like you can run KDE4 applications in Plasma5).
The only problem: KDE4 plasmoids/widgets won’t work in Plasma5 and vice-versa, and you need systemsettings5 to use KF5 configuration modules.

But Kopete is independent of KTelepathy (or Telepathy) and is developed by different people.
It is true though (at least in my perception) that it’s not really well maintained/devloped any more, since years actually.
There has been some activity in recent versions again though.
Maybe this commit will fix your problem?
https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kopete.git&a=commit&h=e54feb425846b9c7cbb796ca088f00937e3ec609
That should be in 15.04.3 and higher.

I understand. I thought they had something in common because I read in Wikipedia that “The designated successor is KDE Telepathy from the KDE RTCC Initiative.” I installed telepathy-kde and it connected. However it asks for password on every login and the “Remember password” checkbox cannot be clicked neither during account creation, nor later. And there is no option to specify public IP address and port for file transfers in Jabber. So far only Pidgin works and has no global shortcuts etc. I wish there was Miranda for Linux.

That should be in 15.04.3 and higher.

Thanks. Installed latest Kopete, the problem is still there though.

I don’t want to be too off-topic though. Thanks a lot for your help!

Ok, so I have upgraded to Plasma5. I had to reconfigure some things - shortcut keys etc (obviously not auto imported from KDE4)

Please tell me if this is a bug to report somewhere or a feature to be configured somehow:

• I use left hand mouse. After the upgrade it became right handed (the buttons). I went to System Settings and told it to be left handed. Logout, login - it is right handed again.
  • I use a solid black color desktop. I set it, logout then login - it is blue! Repeat again - again blue! LOL
  • I set to use double click to enter folders in Dolphin etc. File open dialogs and Krusader respect this but not Dolphin?
  • My Wacom tablet is no longer visible in Input Devices “KDE tablet service not found”
  • I really can’t find a way to have a keyboard layout indicator in system tray
  • Configure Desktop is still available as a menu in launcher although System Settings is what I use.
  • Plasma is asking me to migrate to a new KWallet

Not sure what else will appear but I have one more question: Are there any leftovers from KDE4 and how do I clean that up?

Update: Only these remain:

Also when logging in the Panel on my second monitor desktop is positioned 2/3 from the top (that monitor is rotated 90deg). Although I set it correctly through System Settings and through Nvidia X Server Settings - I have to re-login at least 1-2 times to see it positioned correctly.

Overall - Plasma feels a little unstable in the sense that such unpredictable things happen. Unfortunately it doesn’t resolve the instant messenger issues too and I am not sure I did the right thing by upgrading :\

There have been bug reports about this in earlier versions, but I cannot reproduce this with the current one.
Are you sure you used Plasma5’s systemsettings5?
If you upgraded from KDE4, you probably still have KDE4’s systemsettings installed and maybe used the wrong one.

In particular, if you use the entry in “Favorites”, it might still point to the KDE4 version.

To be sure, enter “systemsettings5” into KRunner or Konsole.

I use a solid black color desktop. I set it, logout then login - it is blue! Repeat again - again blue! LOL

Strange.
I have to try that.
Never used a solid background myself…

I set to use double click to enter folders in Dolphin etc. File open dialogs and Krusader respect this but not Dolphin?

Again, you seem to be using the KDE4 systemsettings. Krusader is a KDE4 application.
Use systemsettings5 instead to configure this.

My Wacom tablet is no longer visible in Input Devices “KDE tablet service not found”

Never used a tablet.
But might also be because you run KDE4’s systemsettings instead of Plasma5’s systemsettings5.

I really can’t find a way to have a keyboard layout indicator in system tray

Probably the same.

Configure Desktop is still available as a menu in launcher although System Settings is what I use.

You need KDE4’s settings to configure KDE4 applications (although systemsettings5 will write some settings to KDE4 as well, e.g. to make the applications look the same).

If you want to get rid of KDE4’s systemsettings (“Configure Desktop”) uninstall “kdebase4-workspace-addons”. It is not removed automatically when installing Plasma5.

Plasma is asking me to migrate to a new KWallet

No. KWallet5 is asking you whether it should import your old KDE4 wallet.
The reason probably is because the networkmanager applet wants to open the wallet for wireless keys or similar.
Just allow it to.

Not sure what else will appear but I have one more question: Are there any leftovers from KDE4 and how do I clean that up?

Not really.
You still (have to) use KDE4, many applications are not ported to KF5 yet.

You shouldn’t use both, they might interfere.
If you want to use NVIDIA settings, better disable the “KScreen2” service in Systemsettings(5)->Startup and Shutdown->Background Services.

And again, don’t use KDE4’s systemsettings, these won’t be respected/applied by Plasma5.

Overall - Plasma feels a little unstable in the sense that such unpredictable things happen.

Well, if you configure KDE4, some settings might be applied immediately in the running session, but Plasma5 will not read/apply them on Login.
Not really unpredictable if you know the background… :wink:

Unfortunately it doesn’t resolve the instant messenger issues too and I am not sure I did the right thing by upgrading :\

So, is KTP still telling you it is the KDE4 version?
What packages do you have installed?

rpm -qa ktp*

I never used KTP, so don’t know exactly what you should install.

Yes.

However many of the points I posted got “stabilized” after a few re-logins and re-boots in which I repeated insistently to System Settings “You should do as I say” lol. Not sure exactly what happened under the hood.

But might also be because you run KDE4’s systemsettings instead of Plasma5’s systemsettings5.

Actually the “Graphic Tablet” section is visible in Configure Desktop but it obviously doesn’t work with Plasma. I have tried to contact the developer but no reply for the moment.

If you want to get rid of KDE4’s systemsettings (“Configure Desktop”) uninstall “kdebase4-workspace-addons”. It is not removed automatically when installing Plasma5.

Don’t I need it any more?

No. KWallet5 is asking you whether it should import your old KDE4 wallet.
The reason probably is because the networkmanager applet wants to open the wallet for wireless keys or similar.

I use wicked. The dialog for KWallet appeared when I tried to access a password protected network in Dolphin. But that’s not an issue, I handled it.

You shouldn’t use both, they might interfere.

Thanks for explaining. However again after those few reboots it seems everything works (hopefully long term).

Not really unpredictable if you know the background… :wink:

Speaking of that - do I need to clear any config or cache leftovers in home directory? E.g. files which will never be used by any app again (as they are for older versions for example).

# rpm -qa ktp*
ktp-desktop-applets-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
ktp-auth-handler-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
ktp-approver-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
ktp-icons-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
ktp-text-ui-15.08.2-3.10.x86_64
ktp-filetransfer-handler-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
ktp-common-internals-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
ktp-contact-list-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
ktp-send-file-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
ktp-accounts-kcm-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
ktp-kded-module-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
ktp-contact-runner-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64

Yes, and this is no bug, so no use to tell the developer.
Again, you need to use systemsettings5 to configure it for Plasma5, which is shown in the application menu by its upstream name “System Settings” in 13.2.
“Configure Desktop” is the KDE4 version in 13.2. It has been renamed by openSUSE to separate it from YaST which actually changes the system-wide settings (KDE’s “System Settings” only changes the user’s settings).

Don’t I need it any more?

Depends.
Some things are only available there, like the KDM configuration.

I use wicked. The dialog for KWallet appeared when I tried to access a password protected network in Dolphin. But that’s not an issue, I handled it.

Ok. Dolphin (or actually KIO) also stores passwords in KWallet. As Dolphin is now KF5 based, it uses KWallet5 which asked you whether you want to migrate the KDE4 wallet/passwords.

Thanks for explaining. However again after those few reboots it seems everything works (hopefully long term).

Actually a reboot shouldn’t be necessary.
Logging out quits Plasma5 completely anyway.

Speaking of that - do I need to clear any config or cache leftovers in home directory? E.g. files which will never be used by any app again (as they are for older versions for example).

You can, but it’s not worth the bother I suppose.
KDE4 applications store their config and data in ~/.kde4/, but you shouldn’t delete everything as you are likely to still use KDE4 applications.

rpm -qa ktp*

ktp-desktop-applets-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
ktp-auth-handler-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
ktp-approver-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
ktp-icons-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
ktp-text-ui-15.08.2-3.10.x86_64
ktp-filetransfer-handler-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
ktp-common-internals-15.08.2-1.3.x86_64
ktp-contact-list-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
ktp-send-file-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
ktp-accounts-kcm-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
ktp-kded-module-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64
ktp-contact-runner-15.08.2-1.2.x86_64

Those are the latest versions.
What exactly is your problem then?
That you cannot specify a public IP address and port for file transfers in Jabber?
Well, I never used Jabber either…

Btw, I mentioned a possible fix for your connection problem with Kopete earlier, that should be in 15.04.3 and up:
https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kopete.git&a=commit&h=e54feb425846b9c7cbb796ca088f00937e3ec609

This mentions libjingle, but I noticed meanwhile that openSUSE’s kopete package is built without libjingle.
I’ll try to build a package with libjingle that you could try if you want…

Regarding your background color problem: I could reproduce that one, the color value was saved incorrectly. But after playing around a bit it works now (in particular I chose another color than black, after which it started to work even with black, not sure if that was what fixed it though).
So there seems to be indeed some issue there.

Other settings are not at all “flakey” here though AFAICT.

Sure. I just asked if he was planning to update the package for KF5.

Again, you need to use systemsettings5

I am using only it.

Some things are only available there, like the KDM configuration.

I will keep it then.

You can, but it’s not worth the bother I suppose.
KDE4 applications store their config and data in ~/.kde4/, but you shouldn’t delete everything as you are likely to still use KDE4 applications.

I was just thinking about what to backup. Where can I read which dot-prefixed directories are worth backing up? (~/.cache is obviously not)

Those are the latest versions.
What exactly is your problem then?
That you cannot specify a public IP address and port for file transfers in Jabber?
Well, I never used Jabber either…

I have described the problem in this bug report. It is for Kopete but in fact the exact same thing happens in System Settings > Online Accounts.
While I was still in KDE4 though I was able to connect using Telepathy and although there was no way to specify public IP address and port, I was able to send files to someone.

Btw, I mentioned a possible fix for your connection problem with Kopete earlier, that should be in 15.04.3 and up:

This mentions libjingle, but I noticed meanwhile that openSUSE’s kopete package is built without libjingle.
I’ll try to build a package with libjingle that you could try if you want…

Yes, I remember you mentioning that, thanks. But AFAIK libjingle is for VoIP and videoconferencing. I am not sure it may replace core functional problem such as authentication? Of course I am just speculating at the moment and can’t say anything before any of the KDE developers respond to the bug report.

The other thing specific to Plasma 5 is that once having configured the account (although not being able to connect) any further attempt to edit the settings leads to crash of the configuration window without message.

So there seems to be indeed some issue there.

Good we found it then!

Other settings are not at all “flakey” here though AFAICT.

There are a few other things too. I can’t remember them all ATM. For example having an application start icon in Panel: In KDE4 I was able to right click it and edit the icon settings which gave me the option to add command line parameters to the program it runs. Trying to do it in Plasma gives me only some “Keyboard shortcuts” dialog.

I experience some crashes too while logging out but didn’t pay much attention what exactly crashed as I was in a hurry. Next time I will try to write down the details.

Sorry, I don’t quite follow you there.
Which developer should update which package to what?

I am using only it.

You said that you see it in “Configure Desktop”, but that’s the KDE4 version.
So you don’t find the graphics tablet configuration in systemsettings5?

I have to admit I confused it with the touchpad settings previously. That one is part of Plasma5 itself and is there in systemsettings5.
I don’t see any “Graphics tablet” settings in neither KDE4 nor Plasma5 here.
What package contains it?

I was just thinking about what to backup. Where can I read which dot-prefixed directories are worth backing up? (~/.cache is obviously not)

Most applications store their settings in some dot-prefixed directory. Better back them all up (although ~/.cache/ is not necessary, as you write).
The standard locations nowadays are ~/.config/ (for settings) and ~/.local/ (for data), but especially older applications don’t follow that standard yet. It’s not really possible to make a general statement about those, though.

I have described the problem in this bug report. It is for Kopete but in fact the exact same thing happens in System Settings > Online Accounts.

KTP uses a completely different technology than Kopete, so it definitely is not the same problem.
Also Kopete cannot authenticate, while KTP crashes IIUYC…

Yes, I remember you mentioning that, thanks. But AFAIK libjingle is for VoIP and videoconferencing. I am not sure it may replace core functional problem such as authentication? Of course I am just speculating at the moment and can’t say anything before any of the KDE developers respond to the bug report.

Well, that commit I mention fixes authentification with Google’s servers apparently.

The other thing specific to Plasma 5 is that once having configured the account (although not being able to connect) any further attempt to edit the settings leads to crash of the configuration window without message.

The crash you mentioned in the other thread, right?
We should stick to discussing that in one thread only, else this gets too confusing…

Good we found it then!

Hm, I cannot really say I know what the reason for this problem is yet, or how to reliably reproduce it…
I suppose I’ll try a fresh user account to be sure.

For example having an application start icon in Panel: In KDE4 I was able to right click it and edit the icon settings which gave me the option to add command line parameters to the program it runs. Trying to do it in Plasma gives me only some “Keyboard shortcuts” dialog.

Yeah, right.
The settings somehow got lost during the port to Plasma5. They will surely get readded in one of the next versions.

[QUOTE=wolfi323;2734814]Sorry, I don’t quite follow you there.
Which developer should update which package to what?[/QUOTE]

The kcm_tablet package. See this and this.

You said that you see it in “Configure Desktop”, but that’s the KDE4 version.
So you don’t find the graphics tablet configuration in systemsettings5?

Exactly. But after the upgrade to Plasma it shows in “Configure Desktop” like this:

I have to admit I confused it with the touchpad settings previously. That one is part of Plasma5 itself and is there in systemsettings5.
I don’t see any “Graphics tablet” settings in neither KDE4 nor Plasma5 here.
What package contains it?

kcm_tablet

Most applications store their settings in some dot-prefixed directory. Better back them all up (although ~/.cache/ is not necessary, as you write).
The standard locations nowadays are ~/.config/ (for settings) and ~/.local/ (for data), but especially older applications don’t follow that standard yet. It’s not really possible to make a general statement about those, though.

Thanks.

KTP uses a completely different technology than Kopete, so it definitely is not the same problem.
Also Kopete cannot authenticate, while KTP crashes IIUYC…

Yes. I read that Telepathy is a new framework. However the behavior of both Kopete and it are identical which might mean (speculation) that the code which is used for authentication is the same, although it might be interfaced to Telepathy framework. IIRC there were also other bug reports about authentication problems for Google accounts with KDE’s instant messengers (Kopete/Telepathy).

BTW I have just tried with my old ICQ account and it can’t connect too. It is constantly asking for the password and says it is incorrect although I typed it correctly many times. I also tried with another Gmail account (not using my Google Apps one) - same story. Authentication errors and never connecting. Tried that both in Kopete and Telepathy - same result.

I started thinking if it might be a network problem but considering that Pidgin can connect flawlessly - obviously the network is fine. I really don’t know if and how people use any instant messenger in KDE.

EDIT: I can’t connect with ICQ in Pidgin too, so that might not be related. But Google works ok in Pidgin.

Well, that commit I mention fixes authentification with Google’s servers apparently.

Strange. If it is a fix - why has it not made it to the current versions but only to libjingle? I am curious to know how would you proceed to compile it?

The crash you mentioned in the other thread, right?

Yes.

We should stick to discussing that in one thread only, else this gets too confusing…

You are right. I was just trying to stay on topic and that one was specifically for Telepathy and this one for Plasma in general. Please let me know where to write.

Hm, I cannot really say I know what the reason for this problem is yet, or how to reliably reproduce it…
I suppose I’ll try a fresh user account to be sure.

Ok, that might be a good idea.

The settings somehow got lost during the port to Plasma5. They will surely get readded in one of the next versions.

I thought so. Good then.

BTW the problem with the panel on the secondary (rotated 90deg) monitor appearing 2/3 from top keeps appearing after the update to Leap 42.1. After each of the 3 reboots I made - I always have to logout and relogin and then it gets “self fixed”. The settings in both System Settings > Display and Monitor and NVIDIA X Server Settings are just as before the upgrade. (Upgrade/update… I don’t know which is the more suitable term).

BTW is there a way to disable that fading of the interface when logging out? I find Plasma logout too slow, not sure if it is related to visual effects but I used to see it very fast in KDE4 (I am on an SSD and with 32GB ram).

More strangeness:

Last night I shut down the computer. This morning I boot into Leap 42.1 and it proceeds to Plasma (which is normal). Suddenly while the K-gear logo with the progress bar is on, the main monitor switches to a lower resolution (native is 2560x1440) equal to the native resolution of the secondary monitor (1600x1200) and once logged in it stays like that. Additionally the desktop is completely blank (no icons which I crated earlier) and there is an empty panel over the default one, hiding it.

So: atfirst I right clicked on the empty desktop, log out and login (I just thought it might be some temporary glitch). But after login nothing changed. Then I removed the extra panel which strangely removed the second default panel which normally resides at the bottom of the secondary monitor. Strangely the desktop icons were restored too.

Logout, login - no, the resolution is still not native on the primary monitor. So I went to systemsettings5 and had to reconfigure the display setup. Then everything seems to be back to normal.

Additionally I noticed that at one of the logout attempts Plasma crashed with a suggestion to send a bug report but I couldn’t do it because I have no debug symbols installed. When it suggested to install them I said ‘yes’ and a console opened asking for root password. I entered it and there was a quick refresh of repos + 2 red lines (perhaps some error messages) after which the console closed and I was back in the bug report dialog without debug symbols installed. I suppose it was unable to install them because of the lack of update/debug repos in Leap 42.1 or because the debug repo is disabled?

Not sure what to do and why this happens.

Again, that is the KDE4 version.
And it won’t work in Plasma5.

Apparently a port to KF5 is available already (but not released yet), someone created a package here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrbadguy:/KDE5/openSUSE_13.2/x86_64/

That’s for 13.2, but I suppose it should work in Leap as well.

Strange. If it is a fix - why has it not made it to the current versions but only to libjingle?

libjingle is shipped with Kopete. The fix is in the current versions.
But libjingle is not built in the openSUSE package.

I am curious to know how would you proceed to compile it?

Branch it on OBS and make the appropriate changes (and then maybe submit it back).

Or download the source code and build it yourself. For KDE applications that normally means to run “cmake”, then “make” and “make install”.

BTW the problem with the panel on the secondary (rotated 90deg) monitor appearing 2/3 from top keeps appearing after the update to Leap 42.1. After each of the 3 reboots I made - I always have to logout and relogin and then it gets “self fixed”. The settings in both System Settings > Display and Monitor and NVIDIA X Server Settings are just as before the upgrade. (Upgrade/update… I don’t know which is the more suitable term).

Have you tried to disable the KScreen2 service already?

As I said, it is not a good idea to use KDE’s settings and nvidia-settings to set up the display. Both will try to apply their settings at login (maybe in a random order), and this might break things…
Or remove the file that nvidia-settings creates, but I’m not sure where this is located… (no nvidia card here)

Turn off the “Logout” effect in systemsettings5->Workspace Behavior->Desktop Effects.

You need to enable the debug repo (in YaST->Software Repositories e.g.), yes.

Exactly. That’s why I tried to get in touch with the developer.

Apparently a port to KF5 is available already (but not released yet), someone created a package here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrbadguy:/KDE5/openSUSE_13.2/x86_64/

Thanks. BTW is it safe to use such repositories (even if they are from download.opensuse.org)?

Thanks for explaining about libjingle. TBH it is not such a big pain and I don’t insist on running Kopete at any price, so I don’t want to waste your time with that. I have reported it to KDE bugzilla, so hopefully someone fixes it. In the meantime I can use Pidgin.

Have you tried to disable the KScreen2 service already?

I looked for it but I don’t see such name in YaST->Service Manager?

Turn off the “Logout” effect in systemsettings5->Workspace Behavior->Desktop Effects.

Will do. Thanks!

You need to enable the debug repo (in YaST->Software Repositories e.g.), yes.

Just to ask - does that mean installing debug versions of programs (which generally run slower etc) or any other side effects?