Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Dolphin under user other than root or currently logged in user.

Default Running Dolphin under user other than root or currently logged in user.

If I am logged in to a KDE session as user "joe" and want to use Dolphin to access "john"'s files and startup other programs to edit "john"'s files, etc., a simple "kdesu dolphin" does not work. It gets errors like "Could not start process. Cannot talk to klauncher: The name org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files."

If I use the KDE startup menu and go to "Switch User" to start a new parallel session under user "john" so that I have two active sessions under users "joe" and "john", then a simple "kdesu dolphin" will work. However, that is a very clumsy and awkward way of getting this to work.

Does anyone know of a more streamlined and automatic way to get this done?

alanbortu NNTP User

Default Re: Running Dolphin under user other than root or currently logged inuser.

On 10/26/2015 03:06 AM, xode0000 wrote:
    >
    > If I am logged in to a KDE session as user "joe" and want to use Dolphin
    > to access "john"'s files and startup other programs to edit "john"'s
    > files, etc., a simple "kdesu dolphin" does not work. It gets errors
    > like "Could not start process. Cannot talk to klauncher: The name
    > org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files."
    >

This works on my system (Leap) with Plasma 5, I am able to start dolphin using kdesu.
    What version of openSUSE are you using? Do you have any non default repos (zypper lr -uP)?

Seems https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199209 and https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=165268 are related to this.

--
    openSUSE Leap (42.1) 64 bit
    Plasma 5

Default Re: Running Dolphin under user other than root or currently logged in user.

Quote Originally Posted by xode0000 View Post
    If I am logged in to a KDE session as user "joe" and want to use Dolphin to access "john"'s files and startup other programs to edit "john"'s files, etc., a simple "kdesu dolphin" does not work.

It gets errors like "Could not start process. Cannot talk to klauncher: The name org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files."

If I use the KDE startup menu and go to "Switch User" to start a new parallel session under user "john" so that I have two active sessions under users "joe" and "john", then a simple "kdesu dolphin" will work. However, that is a very clumsy and awkward way of getting this to work.

Does anyone know of a more streamlined and automatic way to get this done?
    Use the "File Manager - Super User mode" entry in the application menu.
    "kdesu dolphin" doesn't always work, that's why we replaced it with "kdesu dbus-launch dolphin" years ago...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 26-Oct-2015 at 08:21.

Default Re: Running Dolphin under user other than root or currently logged in user.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Use the "File Manager - Super User mode" entry in the application menu.
    "kdesu dolphin" doesn't always work, that's why we replaced it with "kdesu dbus-launch dolphin" years ago...
    Just tried what you suggested (and I had also tried it before as well, and in fact had copied the menu entry for the root file manager to create the menu entry for the "john" file manager having changed only what user to run under to "john" for the menu entry for "john"). I still get from dolphin the error "Could not start process. Cannot talk to klauncher: The name org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files." It appears that many things need to be started and set up before even a simple file manager can be used. Starting a new parallel session under user "john" obviously does all of those things and apparently all of those things are done for root as well whenever any user session is started, so a file manager under root will start up properly.

However, what I need here is a file manager that runs under user "john" since it will be "john"'s files I will be editing and I would like something a lot more streamlined than having to start a new parallel session under user "john" whenever I simply want to use a file manager for user "john".

It appears that many things need to be started and set up before even a simple file manager can be used.
    Well, it's not about a "simple file manager", but it's about a KDE application that needs other KDE stuff to be running.

Starting a new parallel session under user "john" obviously does all of those things and apparently all of those things are done for root as well whenever any user session is started, so a file manager under root will start up properly.
    Of course.
    If you start a "parallel" session, everything needed is running in that session.

For root it is a bit different, as root has *all* permissions to run things in your user's session (if you permit it to open windows that is, e.g. by using kdesu)

However, what I need here is a file manager that runs under user "john" since it will be "john"'s files I will be editing and I would like something a lot more streamlined than having to start a new parallel session under user "john" whenever I simply want to use a file manager for user "john".
    Use a *simple* file manager then.
    mc e.g.

I hope you understand that that is completely contrary to the concept of a multi-user system where every user is protected against the actions from other users.

Thus it is a build-in feature that user pete can not edit user john's files. Except when username john allows the needed access by setting certain permissions (like write access) to the files and the directories (like search access) in the path to those files.

Thus, yes it is normal that user John should login to edit his/her files. That is by design.

And talking about "I" (in phrases like "I will be editing") has no meaning for the system. The system only knows the userids that are defined (with their usernames) and if they are loged in. And which process is owned by which userid and thus which process may do things to which files.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I hope you understand that that is completely contrary to the concept of a multi-user system where every user is protected against the actions from other users. Thus it is a build-in feature that user pete can not edit user john's files. Except when username john allows the needed access by setting certain permissions (like write access) to the files and the directories (like search access) in the path to those files.

Thus, yes it is normal that user John should login to edit his/her files. That is by design.
    I am not wanting to do anything contrary to what you describe here. Being logged in as user "joe" (or "pete" as you call that user) and then starting up a parallel user session and entering "john"'s password at the login screen, user "joe" is becoming user "john" and then it is user "john" editing his own files. I am asking to do nothing different as far as that system security is concerned. Logged in as user "joe" I still would enter "john"'s password, become user "john" and then it would be user "john" editing his own files. I am simply asking for a more streamlined way of doing this. Specifically what I am asking for is this: instead of having to do all of the following: go to the start menu; go to "leave"; go to "switch user"; click on the button at the top of the desktop that says "start new session"; get the system login screen; enter "john"'s password; have "john"'s desktop appear in place of "joe"'s desktop and have to use <CTRL><ALT><Fn> to switch back and forth; simply to become user "john" so that user "john" can edit his own files; I want to click on an icon on "joe"'s desktop, pull up a small window where I enter "john"'s password and then pull up a dolphin file manager window on "joe"'s desktop that the system has set up to run under user "john" and then it is user "john" editing his own files. Since I enter "john"'s password in both cases, the system security remains intact.

Previously, all that was needed to get this done was a simple KDESU (or su -l ...) sequence where I would enter "john"'s password followed by a call to the file manager program. Now, a lot more needs to be done, including creating a fully populated directory of /run/user/<"john" numeric user ID>. Even "kdesu dbus-launch dolphin" after having entered "john"'s password and having changed to "john"'s environment is not enough.

Could you please tell me everything that needs to be done to properly set up whatever is needed, including creating a fully populated directory of /run/user/<"john" numeric user ID>, so that I (user "joe") can start up dolphin running as user "john" but sitting as a window on "joe"'s desktop, simply by calling up a KDESU windows and entering "john"'s password. In other words, could you please tell me what programs, shell scripts, etc. are run to bring up "john"'s desktop when I (user "joe"): go to the start menu; go to "leave"; go to "switch user"; click on the button at the top of the desktop that says "start new session"; get the system login screen and enter "john"'s password.

kdesu should work using the -u option to change users

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    kdesu should work using the -u option to change users
    Yes, but you cannot start dolphin that way (well, you can, but it doesn't really work...).

Otherwise this thread wouldn't even exist I suppose.

Don't know then If I want to mess with a different user I just become root. Maybe the environment does not change like su without dash. That would mess things up a bit.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast