Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Release candidate 42.1 RC1 -- post your comments

Blog Entries

Default Release candidate 42.1 RC1 -- post your comments

I have installed 42.1 RC1.

It mostly looks pretty good. Things that didn't work for Beta1 are now working.

However, I get a kdeinit5 crash notification whenever I login to Plasma5, though everything seems to work. And I sometimes get a KMix crash notification (I have not tried playing sounds).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Default Re: Release candidate 42.1 RC1 -- post your comments

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    However, I get a kdeinit5 crash notification whenever I login to Plasma5, though everything seems to work. And I sometimes get a KMix crash notification (I have not tried playing sounds).
    Yes, that's a known problem, and apparently a bug in the pulseaudio upgrade to 0.7.
    http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=950487

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yes, that's a known problem, and apparently a bug in the pulseaudio upgrade to 0.7.
    Thanks for the bugzilla reference.

Blog Entries

http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=950487
    Thanks for that. Modifying in /etc/pulse/default.pa to replace the line

load-module module-native-protocol-unix

with

load-module module-native-protocol-unix srbchannel=no

worked for me, removing the constant plasma5 problem with the kmix/kdeinit crash.

Default AW: Release candidate 42.1 RC1 -- post your comments

Yesterday i did a 'zypper dup' with openSUSE 42.1 beta 1. Since then the kdeinit5-problem described by nrickert plus two more problems showed up:

1. 'nm-applet' did not react to any mouse action
    2. 'hp-devicemanager' showed the "No systemtray" message, although the recommended "sleep=20" work around was in place.

Just now i tried the fix mentioned by oldcpu and now everything is fine again !

Thanks oldcpu !

Best regards

susejunky

Default Re: AW: Release candidate 42.1 RC1 -- post your comments

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    Just now i tried the fix mentioned by oldcpu and now everything is fine again !

Thanks oldcpu !

Best regards

susejunky
    Me too. Thanks oldcpu.
    Pete

Hi!

Updated my old laptop (daily used Hp Compaq 6730B) from Leap42.1 Beta1 KDE yesterday to RC1. It was a mess. Endless problems of kded5, kdeinit5, kmix, kmixcontrol bla bla.. Crashed. No more then to use as a browser based PC.
    The only thing that was working better was that suspend was working whiteout "fan-panic" on start again. Good .

Tried a fresh KDE instal (openSUSE-Leap-42.1-DVD-x86_64-Build0235-Media.iso) on my main DE, the same story multiplied. Not useable at all. Uack. I hope that not to many newcomers will try that one.

The problems are in many parts solved by reading post #4 Thanks!

It still exist problems but not any worst than earlier RC's. I'm optimistic.

If I have something to add is that I think I have notice that "multitasking" is getting worst. Yes the Lan performance is excellent but it lock up almost all resources. Start a large backup and take a cop of coffee. It also shows in other situations, -it have accelerate trow Leap42.1 versions. That my is own opinion.

regards
    Last edited by jonte1; 16-Oct-2015 at 11:12. Reason: add-change words
    I'm shameless like others in the forum -was I to any help or made sense? If yes: click the on the star below to the left. Written whit a ;-) in my eye.

Blog Entries

Plasma 5 seems to be running well with nouveau. This is with a 6150LE graphics card (Nvidia). I'll leave it this way for now, though I will probably install the G02 driver when the final release is out and the Nvidia repo is up.

Here's what I did:

1: Boot with "nomodeset".
    2: Login to Plasma 5
    3: Turn off desktop effects. I had to uncheck a whole bunch of them. There does not seem to be a single control as there was with KDE4.
    4: Reboot, this time without "nomodeset", so that I am using nouveau.
    5: Login to Plasma, and finish configuring my desktop.

I did go to Power settings, and set it to never turn of the graphics. My prior experience with nouveau, is that after it is turned off, the cursor may disappear and not be recoverable until a reboot. I left the dim screen enabled, as that does not cause problems.

So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    3: Turn off desktop effects. I had to uncheck a whole bunch of them. There does not seem to be a single control as there was with KDE4.
    There's an option to enable/disable compositing as a whole (including desktop effects) in "Display and Monitor"->"Compositor".
    That's actually the same as the global desktop effects setting in KDE4's "Desktop Effects"->Global.

Blog Entries

There's an option to enable/disable compositing as a whole (including desktop effects) in "Display and Monitor"->"Compositor".
    Thanks. I'll look for that when I next boot Leap (I just finished shutting down).

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast