Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Release candidate 42.1 RC1 -- post your comments

Default Re: Release candidate 42.1 RC1 -- post your comments

I loaded RC1 into a VBox 5.0.6 VM

Running the KDE Plasma interface
    Found that Dolphin would not launch from the default Desktop folder.
    Dolphin launched OK from Application launch menu.

At first I thought this was a VM issue - appears to be issue with desktop folder Exec setup
    thread is here https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/510279-Leap-RC1-on-Vbox-5-0-6-VM-display-issue-VM-setup-or-Leap

Desk: i7-4790K Leap 15.1(x86_64)4.12.14-lp151.28.7-default KF5 59.0 Plasma 5.14.4 Qt 5.13.0
    Lap: HPDV7T i7 Leap 15.0(x86_64)4.12.14-lp151.28.7-default KF5 59.0 Plasma 5.14.4 Qt 5.13.0

Upgrading a Beta1 on VM with the RC1 Network Installer, kernel-4.1.6-desktop was replaced with the default flavour: kernel-4.1.10-default.
    It works, so might remain unnoticed; but it is not expected IMHO.
    Can somebody else check that?
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    Upgrading a Beta1 on VM with the RC1 Network Installer, kernel-4.1.6-desktop was replaced with the default flavour: kernel-4.1.10-default.
    A clean install also gets you the default kernel.

I expected this. Apparently the kernel folk have merged the desktop kernel into the default kernel. They are no longer separate. Tumbleweed will probably make a similar change in the near future.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

It works, so might remain unnoticed; but it is not expected IMHO.
    It would be expected by those reading the Factory ML/archive. I would hope to see it mentioned as part of GA announcement in openSUSE news, at least.
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

I installed using all the defaults except for only ext4 formatting and no firewall. The very first application I opened was Konqueror pointing to my home directory. It started using FSview and clicking on View>View Mode presented me with only one choice...File Size View. Dolphin offers icon and details views.

Quote Originally Posted by ionmich View Post
    I installed using all the defaults except for only ext4 formatting and no firewall. The very first application I opened was Konqueror pointing to my home directory. It started using FSview and clicking on View>View Mode presented me with only one choice...File Size View. Dolphin offers icon and details views.
    Right, Konqueror is still KDE4 based, but the KDE4 based dolphin has been removed in Leap (and Tumbleweed), so Konqueror is broken now (as file manager at least).
    The only Dolphin included is the KF5 version.

See also the discussion here:
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-f.../msg00517.html

Hello

Just a quick note for Leap RC1...

I get a kdeinit5 crash notification whenever I login to the kde desktop. I also get a KMix crash notification upon login and last but not least
    whenever I am in the Configure Desktop application, it randomly segv's on me as well.

After these basic login segv's I did not go any further in testing as the system does not appear to be stable enough for me
    to continue with anything.

If I get notification that these issues have been resolved and a new download is available I will be happy to continue
    testing.

This is for an English 64bit installation from the downloaded RC1 64bit ISO.

I certainly hope these basic issues are resolved before Leap is released....

Quote Originally Posted by crubel View Post
    I get a kdeinit5 crash notification whenever I login to the kde desktop. I also get a KMix crash notification upon login and last but not least
    whenever I am in the Configure Desktop application, it randomly segv's on me as well.
    Yes, that's a problem in PulseAudio, and there are a few other threads about this.
    It has been fixed already, but the fix is not in Leap yet.

A simple workaround is to make a change in pulseaudio's config file /etc/pulse/default.pa.
    Replace:
    Code:
    load-module module-native-protocol-unix
    with

Code:
    load-module module-native-protocol-unix srbchannel=no

And yes, this will definitely be fixed in the final release. Probably the fix will be in the repo before that, but I cannot tell you when.

Quote Originally Posted by crubel View Post
    Hello

Just a quick note for Leap RC1...

After these basic login segv's I did not go any further in testing as the system does not appear to be stable enough for me
    to continue with anything.
    It sounds like you didn't bother to read posts #1 to #4 in this thread, never mind other threads. It will be resolved and the workaround is mentioned among those posts. Well it was just a quick note...
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

I had previously upgraded systend to fix Vbox guest issues. As an experiment, a few days ago post RC1, I upgraded my Beta1 guest (Xfce version, no Packman) using 42.1-Current oss repo to see how it handled RC1's kernel and virtualbox 5.0.4 to 5.0.6 package changes, which are linked through the -kmp package. Previously I had to lock the virtualbox 5.0.4 packages to prevent them from upgrading when Vbox 5.0.6 was a general failure with missing -kmp (fixed by RC1).

First I removed all obsolete packages using YaST. Since I wasn't sure of the exact status of 42.1-Current wrt RC1, although close to it, I used "zypper up" resulting in about 1240 package changes. Compared to a "zypper dup", the only diifference was that "libreoffice-branding-opensuse" didn't replace the upstream version. I did that manually, followed by removing kernel-desktop, installing kernel-default, and upgrading Vbox packages:
    Code:
    kernel-firmware-20150907git-1.2
    kernel-default-4.1.10-1.1
    virtualbox-guest-kmp-default-5.0.6_k4.1.10_1-2.2
    virtualbox-guest-x11-5.0.6-2.2
    virtualbox-guest-tools-5.0.6-2.2
    I only needed to make cosmetic changes to default Xfce settings e.g. reset to preferred fonts, and it all worked fine. No PulseAudio or desktop issues, as it's not installed for Xfce. I particularly like the way YaST works on Leap.

VirtualBox guest-Leap 42.1, including Shared Folders, was a breeze hosted wherever on openSUSE 13.1 (Vbox 4.3.30), Tumbleweed (Vbox 5.0.6, KVM), or Leap Beta1 (VBox 5.0.4, KVM). Now looking forward to the GA...

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast