Thread: Plasma 5 crashes sometimes

Default Plasma 5 crashes sometimes

My Plasma 5 just crashed again. It crashes every day. I restarted it with kastart plasmashell and it started with a ton of errors. I am posting them here hoping that maybe they will help solve the problem.

Code:
    alexander@alexander-bedroom:~> kstart plasmashell
    kstart(23802) main: Omitting both --window and --windowclass arguments is not recommended 
    alexander@alexander-bedroom:~> kscreen: launcherDataAvailable: "org.kde.KScreen.Backend.XRandR"
    kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 638 , Name: "DVI-I-2" ) ( "DVI-I-2" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 638 , Name: "DVI-I-2" ) ( "DVI-I-2" )
    unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
    last screen is < 0 so putting containment on screen  0
    last screen is < 0 so putting containment on screen  0
    No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/usr/share/wallpapers/Emotion/contents/images//metadata.desktop"
    No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/usr/share/wallpapers/Emotion/contents/images//metadata.desktop"
    No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/usr/share/wallpapers/Elarun/contents/images//metadata.desktop"
    No metadata file in the package, expected it at: "/usr/share/wallpapers/Elarun/contents/images//metadata.desktop"
    kscreen: Launcher finished with exit code 1 , status 0
    kscreen: Service for requested backend already running
    kscreen: Primary output changed from KScreen::Output(Id: 638 , Name: "DVI-I-2" ) ( "DVI-I-2" ) to KScreen::Output(Id: 638 , Name: "DVI-I-2" ) ( "DVI-I-2" )
    KActivities: Database connection:  "kactivities_db_resources_140561533208576_readonly" 
        query_only:          QVariant(qlonglong, 1) 
        journal_mode:        QVariant(QString, "wal") 
        wal_autocheckpoint:  QVariant(qlonglong, 100) 
        synchronous:         QVariant(qlonglong, 0)
    file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.digitalclock/contents/ui/main.qml:37: TypeError: Cannot read property 'DateTime' of undefined
    Known plasmoid ids: QHash(("org.kde.plasma.notifications", 16)("org.kde.plasma.bluetooth", 19)("org.kde.plasma.volume", 13)("org.kde.plasma.battery", 18)("org.kde.plasma.devicenotifier", 15)("org.kde.plasma.clipboard", 14))
    org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: Attempting connection to PulseAudio sound daemon
    org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: QHash((263, "Muted")(264, "HasVolume")(265, "VolumeWritable")(266, "Name")(267, "Description")(268, "CardIndex")(269, "Ports")(270, "ActivePortIndex")(257, "Index")(258, "PulseObject")(259, "ObjectName")(260, "Index")(261, "Properties")(262, "Volume"))
    org.kde.plasma.pulseaudio: QHash((263, "Muted")(264, "HasVolume")(265, "VolumeWritable")(266, "Name")(267, "Description")(268, "CardIndex")(269, "Ports")(270, "ActivePortIndex")(257, "Index")(258, "PulseObject")(259, "ObjectName")(260, "Index")(261, "Properties")(262, "Volume"))
    file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/org/kde/plasma/extras/ScrollArea.qml:48: Error: Cannot assign to non-existent property "interactive"
    Notifications service registered
    file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/Notifications.qml:129: TypeError: Cannot read property 'IdleTime' of undefined
    XSync seems available and ready
    XSync Inited
    Supported, init completed
    file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:96: TypeError: Cannot read property of null
    file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Button.qml:96: TypeError: Cannot read property of null
    file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Plasma/ToolButtonStyle.qml:37: TypeError: Cannot read property 'flat' of null
    file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Plasma/ToolButtonStyle.qml:38: TypeError: Cannot read property 'hovered' of null
    file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Plasma/ToolButtonStyle.qml:124: TypeError: Cannot read property 'text' of null
    file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Base/ButtonStyle.qml:83: TypeError: Cannot read property 'menu' of null
    file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Plasma/ToolButtonStyle.qml:37: TypeError: Cannot read property 'flat' of null
    file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Plasma/ToolButtonStyle.qml:38: TypeError: Cannot read property 'hovered' of null
    file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Plasma/ToolButtonStyle.qml:124: TypeError: Cannot read property 'text' of null
    file:///usr/lib64/qt5/qml/QtQuick/Controls/Styles/Base/ButtonStyle.qml:83: TypeError: Cannot read property 'menu' of null
    Plasma Shell startup completed

Default Re: Plasma 5 crashes sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Dellius View Post
    I restarted it with kastart plasmashell and it started with a ton of errors. I am posting them here hoping that maybe they will help solve the problem.
    These are no errors, and they won't help solve the problem.

More interesting would be a backtrace of the actual crash, you should get a crash dialog that should show it.
    And maybe also the *last* lines of output when it actually crashes.

Ideally, you'd file a bug report upstream at KDE though, the crash dialog should allow you to do that too.

Btw, are you using more than one monitor?
    There are some known problems with that, although an additional fix has been added to Qt5 just yesterday.

Another obvious cause of crashes is the graphics driver, so what graphics card/driver are you using?
    Last edited by wolfi323; 13-Oct-2015 at 14:09.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    These are no errors, and they won't help solve the problem.

More interesting would be a backtrace of the actual crash, you should get a crash dialog that should show it.
    And maybe also the *last* lines of output when it actually crashes.

Ideally, you'd file a bug report upstream at KDE though, the crash dialog should allow you to do that too.

Btw, are you using more than one monitor?
    There are some known problems with that, although an additional fix has been added to Qt5 just yesterday.

Another obvious cause of crashes is the graphics driver, so what graphics card/driver are you using?
    1. There is no dialog with no error message. It just crashes. The taskbar disappears and desktop becomes black. Any open applications will keep working fine, though.
    2. Yes, I have a TV connected.
    3. Gainward GTX580 Phantom with Nvidia's driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellius View Post
    1. There is no dialog with no error message. It just crashes.
    Hm, that's bad. Then it's probably not a normal crash, as that should be caught by drkonqui.

As I said, try running it in Konsole, and post the last messages when it crashes.

Or even better, run it inside gdb, and get a backtrace (using the command "bt") when it crashes.

Which version of Plasma and Qt5 are you using anyway?
    The ones included in 13.2 (Plasma 5.3.2 and Qt 5.4.2), or did you add additional repos?

If its the former, you could try to update to the latest versions, by adding the KDE:Qt5 and KDE:Frameworks5 repos, and doing a full switch to them:
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt5/openSUSE_13.2/ Qt5
    sudo zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_13.2/ KF5
    sudo zypper dup --from Qt5 --from KF5
    Maybe your problem is already fixed?
    Qt5.5 is reported to work better with multiple monitors, and the openSUSE packages contain some additional patches for multi-monitor problems too.
    And other bugs were fixed too, of course.

Gainward GTX580 Phantom with Nvidia's driver.

I hope the driver is fully working?
    Please install Mesa-demo-x if it's not installed, and post the output of:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep render
    Although if the driver installation was broken, you'd likely have other problems as well, like not being able to login to Plasma5 at all or at least kwin and other Qt5/KF5 applications crashing.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 14-Oct-2015 at 02:53.