Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Installation of Synology rpm fails

  1. #1

    Default Installation of Synology rpm fails

    In order to get my NAS server synchronisation working properly with my laptop client it is necessary to install a proprietary rpm package from the NAS server supplier, Synology.

    The installation of the package fails and Synology is trying to help me identify the root cause of the issue. Which log files will be helpful to them?


    Cheers

    Harvey

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Installation of Synology rpm fails

    how are you installing that rpm, I don't think there is an rpm error log file but you can make one.
    what's the output from
    Code:
    zypper in path_to_your_rpm file.rpm
    if you want you can redirect the output from zypper to a text file makeing a log by using stdout redirection with >
    Code:
    zypper in path_to_your_rpm file.rpm > install.log

  3. #3

    Default Re: Installation of Synology rpm fails

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    how are you installing that rpm, I don't think there is an rpm error log file but you can make one.
    what's the output from
    Code:
    zypper in path_to_your_rpm file.rpm
    if you want you can redirect the output from zypper to a text file makeing a log by using stdout redirection with >
    Code:
    zypper in path_to_your_rpm file.rpm > install.log

    Thank you. That was all I needed! In fact, the /var/log/yast2.log had previously contained similar log information.

    Cheers

  4. #4

    Default Re: Installation of Synology rpm fails

    On 10/21/2015 08:06 AM, hnimmo wrote:
    >
    > I_A;2733037 Wrote:
    >> how are you installing that rpm, I don't think there is an rpm error log
    >> file but you can make one.
    >> what's the output from
    >>>

    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > > > zypper in path_to_your_rpm file.rpm

    > --------------------
    >>>

    >> if you want you can redirect the output from zypper to a text file
    >> makeing a log by using stdout redirection with >
    >>>

    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > > > zypper in path_to_your_rpm file.rpm > install.log

    > --------------------
    >>>

    >
    > Here is the log of the installation...will such a problem be soluble by
    > Synology?
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > Loading repository data...
    > Reading installed packages...
    > Resolving package dependencies...
    >
    > The following NEW package is going to be installed:
    > synology-cloud-station
    >
    > 1 new package to install.
    > Overall download size: 83.4 MiB. Already cached: 0 B After the operation, additional 154.2 MiB will be used.
    > Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): Retrieving package synology-cloud-station-3.2-3487.x86_64 (1/1), 83.4 MiB (154.2 MiB unpacked)
    > synology-cloud-station-3.2-3487.x86_64.rpm:
    > Header V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 86a998db: NOKEY
    > V4 RSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 86a998db: NOKEY
    >
    > Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a):
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    >


    You could the the i (ignore) option since I believe the error is because
    there is no sighing key.

    --
    Ken
    linux since 1994
    S.U.s.E./openSUSE since 1996

  5. #5

    Default Re: Installation of Synology rpm fails

    Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    On 10/21/2015 08:06 AM, hnimmo wrote:


    You could the the i (ignore) option since I believe the error is because
    there is no sighing key.

    --
    Ken
    linux since 1994
    S.U.s.E./openSUSE since 1996
    Is that safe?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Installation of Synology rpm fails

    Quote Originally Posted by hnimmo View Post
    Is that safe?
    it depends how much do you trust the rpm source.
    You could/should ask them to provide you the key and then import it with rpm
    Code:
    sudo rpm --import signing_key_from_Synology.pgp
    they should have a pgp key and it is best practice to use digital signatures for production rpm's, if that was your home machine I'd say ignore the warning but if it's a production one get the key.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Installation of Synology rpm fails

    A quick google search revealed their pgp key
    https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/security/pgp_key
    unfortunately they don't keep the key as a separate downloadable file, you will have to make a new text file called
    synology_pgp.key copy and paste the PGP key block to that file, then import it with rpm

    Code:
    sudo rpm --import synology_pgp.key
    edit
    I'm not sure if they use that key for signing their rpm files or only for encrypted email's, it's best to ask them.

    a 2nd edit
    @kensch are you saying the rpm is not signed or that the signing key is not found? (as I don't have that rpm or need it)
    If the rpm is not signed importing the above key will accomplish nothing they should really sign their files.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Installation of Synology rpm fails

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    A quick google search revealed their pgp key
    https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/security/pgp_key
    unfortunately they don't keep the key as a separate downloadable file, you will have to make a new text file called
    synology_pgp.key copy and paste the PGP key block to that file, then import it with rpm

    Code:
    sudo rpm --import synology_pgp.key
    edit
    I'm not sure if they use that key for signing their rpm files or only for encrypted email's, it's best to ask them.

    a 2nd edit
    @kensch are you saying the rpm is not signed or that the signing key is not found? (as I don't have that rpm or need it)
    If the rpm is not signed importing the above key will accomplish nothing they should really sign their files.
    Unfortunately, this key was not recognised. So I imported the NAS cloud client, ignoring the key request, as suggested. It worked, it seems.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •