Thread: How to remove desktops?

corgi NNTP User

Question How to remove desktops?

I want to remove KDE5 Plasma and LXDE. Doing this in package manager requires solving all conflicts manually. How can I remove desktops in terminal?

I've understood that having several DE's installed simultaneously uses more system resources and can cause conflicts, for example KDE's Apper is sometimes used for package management and the program crashes instantly. Please tell me first if this is correct.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to remove desktops?

Quote Originally Posted by corgi View Post
    I want to remove KDE5 Plasma and LXDE. Doing this in package manager requires solving all conflicts manually. How can I remove desktops in terminal?
    Unless you are tight on disk space, just leave the desktops there, but don't login to them. It's hard to remove them without running into complex chains of dependencies.

I've understood that having several DE's installed simultaneously uses more system resources and can cause conflicts, for example KDE's Apper is sometimes used for package management and the program crashes instantly. Please tell me first if this is correct.
    A desktop that isn't running doesn't use much in the way of resources. Maybe one or two commands are auto-started, so use a small amount. But it usually isn't a big concern. Mostly, an unused desktop just takes up disk space.

If Apper is causing problems, then I think you can remove that without difficulty. I would try Yast Software Management for that.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

corgi NNTP User

Unhappy Re: How to remove desktops?

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Unless you are tight on disk space, just leave the desktops there, but don't login to them. It's hard to remove them without running into complex chains of dependencies.

A desktop that isn't running doesn't use much in the way of resources. Maybe one or two commands are auto-started, so use a small amount. But it usually isn't a big concern. Mostly, an unused desktop just takes up disk space.

If Apper is causing problems, then I think you can remove that without difficulty. I would try Yast Software Management for that.
    OK, I just leave DEs there.
    I removed Apper. Especially KDE has it's fair share of bloat, I'd like to get rid of all applications that aren't required for the desktop to function. I still haven't been able to remove KMail, the main package isn't installed.

corgi NNTP User

Also, no idea how to remove Kleopatra.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by corgi View Post
    Also, no idea how to remove Kleopatra.
    I have kleopatra installed. But I did not explicitly install it, so it was pulled in by something else.

It does not startup automatically, so what's the harm with just leaving it there?
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha