Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tumbleweed/vlc/black screen

Default tumbleweed/vlc/black screen

I have upgraded from 13.2 to Tumbleweed. vlc and vlc codes are installed from Packman. When I play a video I can hear audio, but have a black screen. Can anyone advise how to fix this?
    Rick71

Default Re: tumbleweed/vlc/black screen

Quote Originally Posted by rick71 View Post
    I have upgraded from 13.2 to Tumbleweed. vlc and vlc codes are installed from Packman. When I play a video I can hear audio, but have a black screen. Can anyone advise how to fix this?
    Have you switched the Packman repo to the Tumbleweed version?
    Please post your repo list.

Also try to do a full switch to the Packman repo. The upgrade might have installed crippled multimedia packages from the standard repo.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Have you switched the Packman repo to the Tumbleweed version?
    Please post your repo list.

Also try to do a full switch to the Packman repo. The upgrade might have installed crippled multimedia packages from the standard repo.
    Code:
    1 | packman-essentials | packman-essentials | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes    
    2 | packman_multimedia | packman_multimedia | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes    
    3 | repo-debug         | repo-debug         | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes    
    4 | repo-non-oss       | repo-non-oss       | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes    
    5 | repo-oss           | repo-oss           | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes    
    6 | repo-src-non-oss   | repo-src-non-oss   | No  | ----     | Yes    
    7 | repo-src-oss       | repo-src-oss       | No  | ----     | Yes    
    8 | repo-update        | repo-update        | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes
    All are Tumbleweed repos. I have done zypper dup a couple of times since the upgrade. I can play videos with mplayer and totem.
    Rick71

We need
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    output. This one contains only names, not the real sources (URLs).
    Also the prompts and command are missing.
    Henk van Velden

I have done zypper dup a couple of times since the upgrade.
    But a "zypper dup" can switch packages back to the standard versions, at least with the default priorities (you didn't post the repo priorities either).
    You need to run "zypper dup --from packman_essentials" (or "zypper dup --from 1").

Also, try to uninstall libvdpau_va_gl1 if it is installed. Some people had problems with VLC when this is installed. VLC supports VA-API directly anyway.

Code:
     zypper lr -d
    #                   | Alias              | Name               | Enabled               | GPG Check                  | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                            | Service
    --------------------+--------------------+--------------------+-----------------------+----------------------------+---------+----------+--------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | packman-essentials | packman-essentials | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes     |   98     | rpm-md | http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/ |        
    2 | packman_multimedia | packman_multimedia | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes     |   98     | rpm-md | http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Multimedia/ |        
    3 | repo-debug         | repo-debug         | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/debug                             |        
    4 | repo-non-oss       | repo-non-oss       | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/non-oss                           |        
    5 | repo-oss           | repo-oss           | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss                               |        
    6 | repo-src-non-oss   | repo-src-non-oss   | No  | ----     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/src-non-oss                       |        
    7 | repo-src-oss       | repo-src-oss       | No  | ----     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/src-oss                           |        
    8 | repo-update        | repo-update        | Yes | (r ) Yes | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/tumbleweed/
    With libvdpau_va_gl1:
    Code:
    rick@tower:~> vlc
    VLC media player 2.2.1 Terry Pratchett (Weatherwax) (revision 2.2.1-0-ga425c42)
    [09d5a160] pulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused
    [09caa2f0] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    [VS] Software VDPAU backend library initialized
    libva info: VA-API version 0.38.0
    libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/i915_drv_video.so
    libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
    [b20228b0] vdpau_avcodec generic error: decoder profile not supported: 12
    QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread
    Without libvdpau_va_gl1:
    Code:
    [09482160] pulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused
    [093d22f0] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_va_gl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    [09444160] pulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused
    [093942f0] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_va_gl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Code:
    # zypper dup --from packman-essentials
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Computing distribution upgrade...

Nothing to do.
    Packman repositories 98, rest 99.
    Rick71

With libvdpau_va_gl1:
    Code:
    [09d5a160] pulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused
    [09caa2f0] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    [VS] Software VDPAU backend library initialized
    libva info: VA-API version 0.38.0
    libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/i915_drv_video.so
    libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
    [b20228b0] vdpau_avcodec generic error: decoder profile not supported: 12
    This does indeed look like a problem with VDPAU/libvdpau_va_gl1.
    What graphics card do you actually have?
    Is this an Optimus system (hybrid intel+nvidia) by chance?

Without libvdpau_va_gl1:
    Code:
    [09482160] pulse audio output error: PulseAudio server connection failure: Connection refused
    [093d22f0] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    Hm. It shouldn't try to load libvdpau_va_gl.so if it isn't installed.
    Have you logged out and in again after uninstalling it?
    If not, do that and it should hopefully work.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 06-Oct-2015 at 11:52.

This does indeed look like a problem with VDPAU/libvdpau_va_gl1.
    What graphics card do you actually have?
    Is this an Optimus system (hybrid intel+nvidia) by chance?
    Onboard video:
    Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:29c2] (rev 10)

Hm. It shouldn't try to load libvdpau_va_gl.so if it isn't installed.
    Have you logged out and in again after uninstalling it?
    If not, do that and it should hopefully work.
    Logged out/in. No difference.
    Rick71

Default AW: Re: tumbleweed/vlc/black screen

Logged out/in. No difference.
    So you get the same error message about "libvdpau_va_gl.so not found"?
    Then you still seem to have configured that to be used.

What does this give?
    Code:
    echo $VDPAU_DRIVER
    Does it work if you run vlc like this?
    Code:
    VDPAU_DRIVER="" vlc

Default SOLVED Re: tumbleweed/vlc/black screen

I have uninstalled an installed libvdpau_va_gl1 several times. Easch time I logged out/in. Each times the related error messages were the same. I then rebooted. vlc now plays like a champ whether I double click on the various videos or open vlc first and then open the video file. I am at a loss to explain this.

At any rate, thanks very much for all the help.
    Rick71

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast