Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roll Back.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Roll Back.

A simple approach to enabling "undo" for config changes.
    Requires foresight.

So, for instance if you intend to make extensive (or unknown) changes to your KDE desktop.
    If the changes were to a known config file you would always be able to make a file backup by simply copying the file before making changes, but you might not have that luxury using GUI tools which don't necessarily tell you what file is being changed.

So, copy the <entire directory> containing all files if you don't know which one, so for instance the following for kde...
    Code:
    cp -r ~/.kde* ~/backup.kde*
    You'd be making a copy of the entire KDE config directory for that User.
    If you wanted to "roll back" the kde config changes just delete the existing directory and rename the backup directory to the correct name with something like the following
    Code:
    rm -r ~/.kde* && mv ~/.backup.kde* ~/.kde*
    Code above is untested and only suggested to illustrate the idea.

TSU

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post

Code above is untested and only suggested to illustrate the idea.

TSU
    Yes, there is a dot (.) to much in the second command, or one mising in the first command.
    Code:
    backup
    is not the same as
    Code:
    .backup
    Also there might be more files that answer to the path expansion .kde* (I have three of those, not only one).
    Henk van Velden

Thanks for your responses.
    Most feedback related to the 13.2 release, whereas I am running 13.1, so,for me, most info. is off-field;
    w.r.t. the Yast-Option-History, where does that exist, I couldn't locate it?
    Maybe, if I were to be undertaking any Major Changes, then I am sure that you comments are justified, however,
    in the Real World, sometimes you just accept changes, probably not realising that you may loose certain facilities.
    But surely, basic functionality Should automatically be reversed, once an install/download, has been removed.
    If you accept Changes to your system when you do an Install, I still can't comprehend why there is not the 'option'
    to Accept a Change, which REVERTS the System to the previous configuration.
    As someone who does not program, I respect your observations though very often, replies do seem to hinge upon,
    "that is the way it is", which seems NOT to relate to Real World experiences.
    I still do not comprehend why this function is not the Norm, and why it has not always been that way?
    David.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djmax11 View Post
    Thanks for your responses.
    Most feedback related to the 13.2 release, whereas I am running 13.1, so,for me, most info. is off-field;
    w.r.t. the Yast-Option-History, where does that exist, I couldn't locate it?
    Maybe, if I were to be undertaking any Major Changes, then I am sure that you comments are justified, however,
    in the Real World, sometimes you just accept changes, probably not realising that you may loose certain facilities.
    But surely, basic functionality Should automatically be reversed, once an install/download, has been removed.
    If you accept Changes to your system when you do an Install, I still can't comprehend why there is not the 'option'
    to Accept a Change, which REVERTS the System to the previous configuration.
    As someone who does not program, I respect your observations though very often, replies do seem to hinge upon,
    "that is the way it is", which seems NOT to relate to Real World experiences.
    I still do not comprehend why this function is not the Norm, and why it has not always been that way?
    David.
    Sorry, you're right I had opened up a 13.2 machine.

For a 13.1 machine,
    YAST > Software Management > Extras > History

From there the previous instructions have different wording but with same functionality...
    - For anything listed in the History, you can "Jump to" that package
    - When the package is displayed, in the bottom right you will see "Versions" - You can click on the arrow to display previous versions and if desired click on the icon to the right to "re-install" that package.

HTH,
    TSU

Well it is not as easy as you think. The snapper program which is currently only available if you use BTRFS file system lets you roll back the root partition but there is a cost in disk space for all those snapshots.Also snapshots are currently only used on root unless you take the effort to set thing up on home. Remember snapshots cost space on partitions. Note also again that snapshots are NOT backup. Backup protects against most data lose situations and proper computer usage requires you make backups if you wish to to protect your data and settings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Well it is not as easy as you think. The snapper program which is currently only available if you use BTRFS file system lets you roll back the root partition but there is a cost in disk space for all those snapshots.Also snapshots are currently only used on root unless you take the effort to set thing up on home. Remember snapshots cost space on partitions. Note also again that snapshots are NOT backup. Backup protects against most data lose situations and proper computer usage requires you make backups if you wish to to protect your data and settings.
    Yeah,
    I think I opened in my earlier post that this isn't a "one click" solution to rolling back extensive changes to the system from an update,

But,
    It is a way to roll back individual packages one by one that were part of an update.

Probably better than any alternative if no backup exists.
    But then, if someone wants to submit a feature request I assume that it might not be an overly difficult job to script rolling back an entire update since all the ingredients (history of package changes associated with an update) exists.

TSU

Can you try to Explain, and/or, guide me through this process?
    I have found that I installed Bangarang, and on the same day, the following also appear:
    libexiv2-14 ver. 0.25
    kdebase4-runtime ver. 14.12.3
    kdebase4-runtime ver. 13.1
    When I removed Bangarang 2.1, Changes remained, which took away Widgets and Sounds (notification).
    For my enlightenment, what did I change, and how can it be reversed?
    David.

The OP started with wanting to roll back changes he did to his KDE configuration as I understood it. Then wondered in to package roll back. A completely different thing. For a few packages it is easiest to simply go back a version in Yast.

Let me just explain the concept, as I perceived it.
    Did an Install, which I believe, modified my KDE setup; Removed Install;
    In order to resolve the resulting 'problem', it was my belief, that Rolling Back KDE, would be the resolution?
    David.

Not knowing what install and how it may have changed KDE no way for us to tell. There is NO roll back for KDE settings they are personal and in your home. If using BTRFS you can roll back installs but then you can also simply uninstall it.

It is often better to full disclose the problem rather then asking for help on a solution you guessed at

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast