Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edit Applications Menu not Working Plasma 5

Default Edit Applications Menu not Working Plasma 5

OK so I installed the new Plasma 5 Desktop and I have two problems:

1. When I right-click the K icon and select Edit Applications it doesn't work. Nothing happens.

2. When I change my mouse cursor theme to something else the change doesn't persist through applications.

I am totally clueless this time.

Please help.

Default Re: Edit Applications Menu not Working Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by Dellius View Post
    1. When I right-click the K icon and select Edit Applications it doesn't work. Nothing happens.
    Install kmenuedit5.

2. When I change my mouse cursor theme to something else the change doesn't persist through applications.
    Try to logout and login again.
    The mouse pointer can be inconsistent between applications after a change, that's an *old* problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Install kmenuedit5.

Try to logout and login again.
    The mouse pointer can be inconsistent between applications after a change, that's an *old* problem.
    Yes. Both solutions worked. Thanks.

Now I have another problem - I noticed that the applet that controls my dual monitor output is missing under System Settings >> Display Manager.

Now I have another problem - I noticed that the applet that controls my dual monitor output is missing under System Settings >> Display Manager.
    Install kscreen5.

Install kscreen5.
    Installed it. Still missing. Re-logged, still missing.

Something very bad happened. I restarted the machine and the OS wont start the graphical session.

I tried starting it manually with sudo rcxdm start but no luck. The command doesn't return any error, it simply does nothing.

Installed it. Still missing. Re-logged, still missing.
    If kscreen5 is installed, you should find it in Systemsettings5->Hardware->Display and Monitor.
    Be sure that you run systemsettings5 though. The KDE4 version will *not* show Plasma5 settings modules.

Something very bad happened. I restarted the machine and the OS wont start the graphical session.
    You mean the boot drops to text mode?
    Well, try to disable Autologin in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager or YaST->Security and Users->User and Group Management, does the login screen appear then?
    Does it work in recovery mode?

Without an Xorg log it's hard to tell anything though.

I tried starting it manually with sudo rcxdm start but no luck. The command doesn't return any error, it simply does nothing.
    You need to run "rcxdm stop" first, before you try to start it again.

Or use "init 3" followed to "init 5".

Or login as root and run "startx". This should also print error messages why Xorg is failing.

If kscreen5 is installed, you should find it in Systemsettings5->Hardware->Display and Monitor.
    Be sure that you run systemsettings5 though. The KDE4 version will *not* show Plasma5 settings modules.

You mean the boot drops to text mode?
    Well, try to disable Autologin in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager or YaST->Security and Users->User and Group Management, does the login screen appear then?
    Does it work in recovery mode?

Without an Xorg log it's hard to tell anything though.

You need to run "rcxdm stop" first, before you try to start it again.

Or use "init 3" followed to "init 5".

Or login as root and run "startx". This should also print error messages why Xorg is failing.
    I fixed the text login. Turns out I have forgotten to add nouveau.modeset=0 to my boot options when I have installed the Nvidia driver so X.org is looking for the Nvidia driver, but nouveau is loading and this causes the black screens.

systemsettings5 did the trick, but when I type Configure Desktop the other version appears. How can I fix this ?

nouveau.modeset=0 is not needed if you have a properly installed NVIDIA driver. Maybe you have a screwed up xorg.conf file

I fixed the text login. Turns out I have forgotten to add nouveau.modeset=0 to my boot options when I have installed the Nvidia driver so X.org is looking for the Nvidia driver, but nouveau is loading and this causes the black screens.
    You don't need "nouveau.modeset=0".
    You could also prevent the nouveau kernel module from being loaded by creating a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ with the content:
    Code:
    blacklist nouveau
    Why don't you install the nvidia driver via the packages from the nvidia repo though?
    They would take care of everything, and would even survive Kernel and Mesa updates...
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

systemsettings5 did the trick, but when I type Configure Desktop the other version appears. How can I fix this ?
    Uninstall kdebase4-workspace-addons, or rename one of the two with the menu editor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast