Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Leap 42.1 Beta - post your comments here

Blog Entries

Default Re: Leap 42.1 Beta - post your comments here

Hi
    Looks like you need to ensure you have the right chipset and BIOS updated to see if you can take a T5xxx of T7xxx cpu. Can you provide the following info (need to be root user);
    Code:
    dmidecode -t BIOS
    /sbin/lspci
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

This is results:
    Code:
    # dmidecode -t BIOS
    # dmidecode 2.12
    SMBIOS 2.4 present.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
    BIOS Information
        Vendor: Hewlett-Packard
        Version: 68YGU Ver. F.0A
        Release Date: 12/18/2006
        Address: 0xE0000
        Runtime Size: 128 kB
        ROM Size: 1024 kB
        Characteristics:
            PCI is supported
            PC Card (PCMCIA) is supported
            PNP is supported
            BIOS is upgradeable
            BIOS shadowing is allowed
            Boot from CD is supported
            Selectable boot is supported
            EDD is supported
            3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
            Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
            8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
            Serial services are supported (int 14h)
            Printer services are supported (int 17h)
            ACPI is supported
            USB legacy is supported
            LS-120 boot is supported
            Smart battery is supported
            BIOS boot specification is supported
            Function key-initiated network boot is supported
            Targeted content distribution is supported
        BIOS Revision: 15.10
        Firmware Revision: 64.23
    and
    Code:
     # /sbin/lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 01)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
    00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
    00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
    00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
    00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e1)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 01)
    02:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
    02:06.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    02:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    10:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)

On Fri, 25 Sep 2015 12:26:01 GMT
    nrickert <nrickert@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:

>
    > arvidjaar;2729619 Wrote:
    > > You should never ever select MBR when you have multiple disks. MBR
    > > means
    > > - "MBR of the first disk" and installer may have different idea what
    > > disk is the first than you.

>
    > The Yast bootloader page for grub2 has a place where you can set the
    > disk order. I use that if installing to an external drive (making the
    > external drive first in disk order). Recent experience, when
    > installing to an external drive, is that the installer defaults to
    > making that external drive the first in disk order.
    >

In 13.2, which I've switched back to, the external drive is last in the
    order. I'll have to switch back to check but suspect you are right and
    that the external drive was listed first.

I vaguely remember being caught like this before so should have known
    better. My only [really poor] excuse is that I've only recently gone
    back to having the drive mounted automatically at boot time.

--
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks.
    openSUSE 13.2 (64-bit); KDE 4.14.9; AMD Phenom II X2 550 Processor;
    Kernel: 4.2.0; Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (using nouveau driver);
    Sound: ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

Quote Originally Posted by Cloddy View Post
    ... Had the usual graphics trouble and freeze-up so had another hack at ...
    @Cloddy

Whilst searching in relation to a problem I recently came across, I found these bug reports:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91598
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91125

Any relevance there to the graphics issues you've been having?
    Regards, Paul

Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20190716) KDE Plasma 5
    Leap 15.0 KDE Plasma 5
    [Non-Tumbling Tumblweed (20150508) KDE 4 - Resurrected]

My first test of Leap Beta1: upgrade M2 default Gnome install.

A mixed bag so far. Upgrade (some 1950 pkgs) took about twice than a clean install (>1h on my box).
    Be sure to delete/disable snapshots beforehand if you have less than, say, 12GB on your /root;
    with snapshots enabled you basically end up with two copies of the entire system (30 GB are recommended for a default install).
    Overall, a clean install seems a better choice, possibly preserving the existing /home.

The good.
    First reboot works out of the box. First login aborts, but the second leads to a nice "Geeko in a lamp".
    The graphics stack seems robust and fast (at least with integrated graphics).
    GDM doesn't crash as in M2 (unless you connect a mouse, see later).
    Suspend-to-ram works (often a weak point on this box).
    Some bugs have been fixed (e.g. the "OK, try again" button in Yast2-Software now works).

The bad.
    Many broken things in M2 are still there.
    Connecting a mouse (USB or BlueTooth) kicks out the logged-in user and GDM apparently crashes.
    If confirmed by other testers, that would be very annoying IMHO.
    My touchpad is still invisible to the Gnome settings panel.
    Color management finds "No devices that can be color managed" but the LCD sends EDID data about color, and worked in OS 13.2.
    GParted is still not started by the desktop launcher.
    Other minor quirks are typical of this test box and I'm used to manually tweak config files.

The puzzling.
    Yast2-Sound finds "Card not configured" and tests don't work. But the sound system itself works out of the box and Speaker Test on Gnome sound works.
    No "safe settings" entry on the boot menu. Not even a place to enter one in Yast2-Bootloader, for that matter.
    Bootloader location in Yast2-Bootloader reads both "Boot from MBR" and "Boot from root partition": it works, but was marked as a bug in OS 13.2.
    As already noted, a bit of lag is noticeable when switching options in the boot Grub menu and in some desktop mouse operations: "new artwork" or troubles down the road?

The unfinished? (well, to be expected in a Beta...)
    Gnome-on-wayland doesn't start.
    libinput is installed but xf86-input-libinput is not.
    An app or two don't istall because of lacking dependencies.
    Release notes, the GRUB stuff and the like still show OS 31.2 material.

My next stop will be a default KDE install, like a noob would do it: just for having fun with the Geeko
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skoltogyan View Post
    my laptop is: Compaq nx7300.

can not install from openSUSE-Leap-42.1-NET-x86_64-Build0186-Media.iso . attantion about - instalation only on 62bit... ;(
    According to my Google results, the Compaq nx7300 has the following CPU (Core 2 Duo T5500) with the following technical specs... supporting 64.bit
    http://ark.intel.com/products/27253/...Hz-667-MHz-FSB

Edit: I see in a later post you have a much older T2250 CPU.
    Well, live on with openSUSE 13.2, then...

TSU

Blog Entries

FYI -
    For both upgrades and new installs using the DVD,
    Have submitted a bug about adding online repositories during install... You can do so, but later in the Install won't be able to connect to online repos.

For new installs, I don't know about upgrades (I didn't check on my last upgrade)
    Will submit a bug soon that the Update Repo is not enabled by default.
    Other repos that are disabled are probably OK, but IMO the update repo should be enabled immediately by default.

TSU

Blog Entries

I successfully installed openSUSE LEAP 42.1 Beta on my backup desktop PC today (from a USB stick), replacing a Tumbleweed install that I had on a test partition on that PC.

This PC has an old windows7 (sda1), an openSUSE-13.2 install (/ in sda2), and had an openSUSE Tumbleweed (/ in sda3) with the swap and respective /home's inside the extended sda4 (as sda5 (swap), sda6 (tumbleweed home) and sda7 (openSUSE-13.2 home). So I put LEAP / on the sda3 (choosing ext4 format) and /home on sda6.

I modified the boot configuration, selecting "boot from root partition" , and deselecting "set active flag in partition" and deselecting "generic boot code from MBR". I did not want the MBR touched nor did I want sda3 to be the active partition, but rather I wanted the openSUSE-13.2 grub on sda2 to have its grub loaded upon boot. This may < not sure > have caused a slight boot hiccup (which I will describe later) ?

For software install I also added the 'baseline development pattern', and selected for install kernel-source, kernel-syms, rpm-rebuild, mc, leafpad, hplip, xsane, and wine ... these being packages I always install. I also selected to have the ssh port open and ssh server enabled.

The first boot as part of the install went to the active partition (sda2) with its openSUSE-13.2 grub menu. I selected sda3 to continue to boot, and I obtained a black screen with an error saying 'kernel must be loaded first'. That surprised me, but likely it is my not understanding grub. So I rebooted to openSUSE-13.2 (on sda2), and went to YaST boot loader and ensured it had openSUSE LEAP properly setup. I then exited YaST (in openSUSE-13.2) and rebooted to Grub. This time there was a clear LEAP selection for sda3, I selected that, and LEAP loaded and ran successfully to the KDE desktop that I chose upon the install setup.

Sound "just worked" as did internet (via wired connection) on our home LAN. Network printing and network scanning (with our old HP C309a photosmart all-in-one premium printer) worked fine after setting up with YaST using the identical technique I have used in the past for all older openSUSE releases.

I like the LEAP boot graphics.

I find the LEAP desktop has a different KDE "look feel" than what I am used to. The folder had two 'dolphin' folders inside it, instead of having icons that link to applications. I have not yet figured out a drag and drop way to add applications inside the desktop folders, although adding application icons to the desktop is easy. I can add applications to be inside the folders by a more manual add application method, but that is not as easy as a standard drag-drop. Possibly I am missing the method, but I do think this as not as intuitive as to what is in place in older openSUSE releases. Maybe after I learn a better method, I will change my mind.

I was curious about multimedia, but there is no Packman LEAP repository yet for the Beta openSUSE, so instead I rolled the dice and added the packman 'factory' repos, which may not have been the best choice. I had to work through a number of dependencies when installing some packages (from packman) where my general approach was to remove amarok (I don't us it) and to accept depreciated (?) versions of gstreamer-plugins-good and libavcodec56 (as they could not find libvpx.so.2) and libavformat56 (could not find libgnutils.so.30), libstreamanalyzer0 (could not find libqt>=4.8.7), libmusicbrainz3 and mjpegtools (could not find libstdc++.so.6). I have yet to test the multimedia much, other than easily playing youtube videos.

I downloaded the rpm source for the application 'inxi' and using rpm-build rebuilt it for LEAP.

I also have not tested the ssh access, nor tested vnc, and I also want to test virtual box. Nor have I tested any apps under wine.

Still, with me mostly a basic user wrt use (albeit possibly more advanced wrt knowledge) I am reasonably happy with what I have seen thus far.

LEAP is looking pretty good for my use on what is a pretty ancient core-i7 PC (its ~6-years old, albeit given its a core-i7, it does perform respectably, despite its age).
    Code:
    System:    Host: linux-zkql Kernel: 4.1.6-10-desktop x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.4.0
               Distro: openSUSE Leap 42.1 Beta 1 (Malachite)
    Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P6T DELUXE V2 v: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends v: 1108 date: 09/21/2010
    CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7 920 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB 
               clock speeds: max: 2668 MHz 1: 2668 MHz 2: 1733 MHz 3: 1600 MHz 4: 1600 MHz 5: 1867 MHz 6: 1600 MHz
               7: 1867 MHz 8: 1600 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT200 [GeForce GTX 260]
               Display Server: X.Org 1.17.2 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,nv,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz
               GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVA0 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.6.6
    Audio:     Card Intel 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.1.6-10-desktop
    Network:   Card-1: Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
               IF: eth1 state: down mac: 00:24:8c:7e:ee:38
               Card-2: Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2
               IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:24:8c:7e:ee:39
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1500.3GB (0.9% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST31500341AS size: 1500.3GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 15G used: 6.1G (45%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
               ID-2: /home size: 34G used: 139M (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
               ID-3: swap-1 size: 6.82GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: 51.0C
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1205 psu: 0 sys-1: 0 sys-2: 0 sys-3: 0
    Info:      Processes: 245 Uptime: 0:03 Memory: 484.9/5957.0MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.26

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I have not yet figured out a drag and drop way to add applications inside the desktop folders, although adding application icons to the desktop is easy. I can add applications to be inside the folders by a more manual add application method, but that is not as easy as a standard drag-drop. Possibly I am missing the method, but I do think this as not as intuitive as to what is in place in older openSUSE releases. Maybe after I learn a better method, I will change my mind.
    I should update this somewhat misleading observation of mine to say that the easiest way I have discovered to do this operation is to navigate to /usr/share/applications and drag and drop application icons from their into my desired desktop folders.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I should update this somewhat misleading observation of mine to say that the easiest way I have discovered to do this operation is to navigate to /usr/share/applications and drag and drop application icons from their into my desired desktop folders.
    You can also right-click on an entry and choose "Add to Desktop". But this will create an icon plasmaoid on the desktop itself, not a link in a folder view.

Drag and drop just doesn't work with (the openSUSE default) Kicker application menu ("A launcher based on cascading popup menus") in 5.4 (a bug? it worked fine in previous versions...).
    It works with the Kickoff application launcher though (the one that was in KDE4 already), you can switch via right-clicking on the menu button and choosing "Alternatives...", or just add a second one to your panel or desktop.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast