Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Constant Problems with Repositories

  1. #1

    Default Constant Problems with Repositories

    Recently, I decided to give the new milestone of LEAP 42.1 a try. I fully understand it is still far from finished, but I already managed to properly install the nVidia drivers (from openSUSE 13.2 community repos) and my Broadcom bcm4322 chip is somehow supported by openSUSE' kernel 4.1.6-9-desktop's module b43. Alas, I am having some severe problems with repositories. I am constantly (though not always!) getting the 'Valid metadata not found at specificed URL' error for the leap42.1 non-oss and update repositories.

    I am a bit at a loss, because I really like openSUSE, but it seems to be literaly plagued with repository issues I have not seen in any other distribution so far (and I have used most of them...).

    Is this a known issue? Will this be fixed? Alternatively, what does that error exactly mean and how to fix it?

  2. #2

    Default AW: Constant Problems with Repositories

    Quote Originally Posted by Atsuri View Post
    Is this a known issue? Will this be fixed? Alternatively, what does that error exactly mean and how to fix it?
    Those repos don't exist yet, they will only created when Leap 42.1 is released.

    There's no point for an update repo anyway before there's actually a release for which updates can be published...

    To "fix" it, you could disable or remove those repos in YaST->Software Repositories.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 19-Sep-2015 at 10:00.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,743

    Default Re: Constant Problems with Repositories

    You said you knew that Leap was far from finished but you some how expect all the repos to be finished?

    You should not be using leap for a normal everyday OS it is too much in flux. Sure test it out, play with it but you should not rely on it. It is not done.

  4. #4

    Default Re: AW: Constant Problems with Repositories

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Those repos don't exist yet, they will only created when Leap 42.1 is released.

    There's no point for an update repo anyway before there's actually a release for which updates can be published...

    To "fix" it, you could disable or remove those repos in YaST->Software Repositories.
    Why does the installer then even recommend those repos? There is no warning that the repos don't exist whatsoever, merely a non-specific error, which could also mean that there is a problem with the GPG key or due to a misconfigured hardware clock the GPG key was signed 'in the future'.

    As suggested, for the time being I will use the release 13.2 repos. What about the leap 42.1 non-oss repos? Do they also not exist?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,141

    Default Re: AW: Constant Problems with Repositories

    Quote Originally Posted by Atsuri View Post
    Why does the installer then even recommend those repos?
    For me that is clear enough. This a "work inprogress". And of course the dev responsible for the installer is not going to alter parts of the installer temporary to accomodate what you want. That part is apperently fnished for the definitive version. Other parts are not.
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6

    Default Re: AW: Constant Problems with Repositories

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    For me that is clear enough. This a "work inprogress". And of course the dev responsible for the installer is not going to alter parts of the installer temporary to accomodate what you want. That part is apperently fnished for the definitive version. Other parts are not.
    Noted. Sorry for my previous grumpiness, but I had a lot of problems with my MacBook and for a moment I was slightly too happy that things immediately worked. As I mentioned earlier, I switched the repositories to release 13.2. From those I managed to install a couple of packages and everything is back to normal. I will follow news on Leap 42.1, but I will not the make the mistake of assuming it works flawlessly . Thank you very much for your input and sorry again!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Constant Problems with Repositories

    On 2015-09-19 20:06, Atsuri wrote:

    > I will follow news on Leap 42.1, but I
    > will not the make the mistake of assuming it works flawlessly .


    Do you expect to live in a house while it is being built? No? But the
    builder may ask you to go inside, find the faults and tell him.

    This is the same. The house is not finished, and there are ropes and
    boards in the paths. You must know where they are, don't ask the builder
    to remove those ropes now ;-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,500

    Default Re: Constant Problems with Repositories

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2015-09-19 20:06, Atsuri wrote:

    > I will follow news on Leap 42.1, but I
    > will not the make the mistake of assuming it works flawlessly .


    Do you expect to live in a house while it is being built? No? But the
    builder may ask you to go inside, find the faults and tell him.

    This is the same. The house is not finished, and there are ropes and
    boards in the paths. You must know where they are, don't ask the builder
    to remove those ropes now ;-)
    A good analogy, but in this case it seems to be at least 5 hours past its "Use by date", and even longer past a "Sell by Date". Perhaps you missed his apology...
    Leap 42.3 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.7) ~ stable
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (ext4, KDE Plasma5) ~ managed updates via "Tumbleweed Snapshots" service.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,141

    Default Re: Constant Problems with Repositories

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2015-09-19 20:06, Atsuri wrote:

    > I will follow news on Leap 42.1, but I
    > will not the make the mistake of assuming it works flawlessly .


    Do you expect to live in a house while it is being built? No? But the
    builder may ask you to go inside, find the faults and tell him.

    This is the same. The house is not finished, and there are ropes and
    boards in the paths. You must know where they are, don't ask the builder
    to remove those ropes now ;-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))
    Completley superfluous post. The statement was made and clearly understood by the OP. No need to hassle him with it again.

    Bad points for you.
    Henk van Velden

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Constant Problems with Repositories

    On 2015-09-20 10:46, consused wrote:

    > A good analogy, but in this case it seems to be at least 5 hours past
    > its "Use by date", and even longer past a "Sell by Date". Perhaps you
    > missed his apology...


    No, I did not; I simply thought he still did not fully understood what
    was going on.

    Nor do I think he needs to apologize.

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •