Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to install VirtualBox?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bonn, Germany
    Posts
    67

    Default How to install VirtualBox?

    Dear forum,

    I am a bit confused right now… But I seem unable to install Oracle's Virtual Box.

    What I did is: I went to software.opensuse.org and installed what I assumed to be Oracle VB – throught Yast one click install. Went all through, no errors. Now, in my installed programmes, I cannot find »VirtualBox«, but an application called »VBoxGtk« (I am on openSUSE GNOME btw). Starting it yields the following error messages:
    Code:
    ~> vboxgtk 
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/vboxgtk", line 94, in <module>
        vboxgtk.main()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vboxgtk/iface.py", line 47, in call_with_method
        return func(self,*args,**kwargs)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vboxgtk/iface.py", line 74, in main
        builder.add_from_file(os.path.join(paths.data_path, f))
    GLib.Error: gtk-builder-error-quark: Invalid property: GtkGrid.n_rows on line 1564 (11)
    Exception ImportError: 'No module named xpcom' in <bound method VirtualBoxManager.__del__ of <vboxapi.VirtualBoxManager object at 0x7f64abede090>> ignored
    Does anyone know what I did wrong here?

    Best regards,

    pbiel

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to install VirtualBox?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbiel View Post
    What I did is: I went to software.opensuse.org and installed what I assumed to be Oracle VB – throught Yast one click install. Went all through, no errors. Now, in my installed programmes, I cannot find »VirtualBox«, but an application called »VBoxGtk« (I am on openSUSE GNOME btw).
    vboxgtk is a GTK based frontend for VirtualBox.
    But it is broken and doesn't work. And it is not being developed any more since years.

    Remove it and install virtualbox-qt instead, which is the official Qt GUI by Oracle.

    Btw, you don't need to use a 1-click install, virtualbox is included in the distribution. Just start YaST->Software Management and install it, or use zypper. No need to add any additional repo either, unless you always want to have the latest version.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bonn, Germany
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: How to install VirtualBox?

    Oh, well, that worked.

    If it is well known that VBoxGtk is obsolete, why does the "official" openSUSE ymp still enforce it rather than the Qt thing (from software.opensuse.org, I installed the official release – nothing from some 3rd party obs repos). That's really a bad thing.

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to install VirtualBox?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbiel View Post
    If it is well known that VBoxGtk is obsolete, why does the "official" openSUSE ymp still enforce it rather than the Qt thing (from software.opensuse.org, I installed the official release – nothing from some 3rd party obs repos). That's really a bad thing.
    It does *not* enforce it.

    The virtualbox package requires *any* GUI, available are virtualbox-qt, virtualbox-web, and vboxgtk. YaST chooses a random one if you don't do that yourself (and vboxgtk is first alphabetically).

    But vboxgtk has been dropped completely from the distribution nearly a year ago. It's still available in the 13.2 standard repo though because it is not possible to remove packages after the release.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: How to install VirtualBox?

    Still it is not solved
    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=811221

    It seems to me that it was already fixed in Tumbleweed some time ago.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How to install VirtualBox?

    Quote Originally Posted by galko_ferdinand View Post
    It is "solved". Again, vboxgtk has been dropped completely nearly a year ago and is neither available in Tumbleweed nor in the Virtualization repo any more (and won't be in Leap either).
    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=902610
    https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/258388

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: How to install VirtualBox?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    It is "solved". Again, vboxgtk has been dropped completely nearly a year ago and is neither available in Tumbleweed nor in the Virtualization repo any more (and won't be in Leap either).
    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=902610
    https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/258388
    Yes. I mentioned it.
    But we are in openSUSE 13.2 thread, where it is not solved.
    I had to fix it during my install of openSUSE 13.2 a month ago.

  8. #8

    Default Re: How to install VirtualBox?

    Quote Originally Posted by galko_ferdinand View Post
    Yes. I mentioned it.
    No, you didn't.

    But we are in openSUSE 13.2 thread, where it is not solved.
    It cannot be solved for 13.2, because we cannot remove packages from a released distribution.
    As I wrote.

    I had to fix it during my install of openSUSE 13.2 a month ago.
    So you fixed it.
    And?

    Install virtualbox-qt and everything's fine.
    It's not that you need a patch or something.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    145

    Default Re: How to install VirtualBox?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    So you fixed it.
    And?
    Nothing.
    Life goes on.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •