Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting Up Precompiled Bin Archives for Use

Default Setting Up Precompiled Bin Archives for Use

When I download precompiled binaries from websites, how do I install them into my file system so that they can be used like my default applications?

Default Re: Setting Up Precompiled Bin Archives for Use

you can define local folders to be treated as repositories, just go to yast -> repository management and select the folder where you keep downloaded files.
    or you can install them with zypper
    zypper in <full_path_to_local_rpm>
    there is a kde application that can install rpm files so just click on an rpm and install it.

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    you can define local folders to be treated as repositories, just go to yast -> repository management and select the folder where you keep downloaded files.
    or you can install them with zypper
    zypper in <full_path_to_local_rpm>
    there is a kde application that can install rpm files so just click on an rpm and install it.
    Does this method work with archives, including zip files?

No, it works with rpm files which are archives, you can put all your rpm's in a folder add that folder as a repo then use yast or zypper to install them.
    What are these rpm's, well skype, google-chrome and other 3rd party software.
    zip's can contain whatever but opensuse uses rpm's for installing and removing applications.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_Package_Manager

if those zip's have a valid spec file (you can write one if yourself)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_Pa...ager#SPEC_file
    you can make rpm's out of them, or you can use check-install to make rpm's out of tar balls and copy those rpm's in your local folder that holds applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlyon View Post
    When I download precompiled binaries from websites, how do I install them into my file system so that they can be used like my default applications?
    Without further clarification about what that binary is supposed to be compiled for (distribution, version), that is difficult to say. Must be decided for each case.

It is very uncommon to have a precompiled binary for Linux. Software (specialy when to be used for the system, contrary to a program to be used by a single user and put into one of his/her own directories like ~/bin) that does not come as RPM through the openSUSE standard repos, nor through any repos from the Open Build Service, may come
    • prebuild RPM for openSUSE version X from a web site (but that is then explicitly mentioned);
    • as a tarball (complete source ready to be build in a compressed tar file).

In the latter case there is (often) a general path to be followed to build it (explained in a README file) and this contains three steps where in the first step the system is scanned and many configuration parameters are filled in for the next step which is the real build (the third step, to be done as root, is then the install).

Thus when you have a pre-build binary, those first two steps are done. But how can you be sure that the first, configure, step is done properly when not on your, but on some other system?

But, if the binary is functioning on your system (and you trust it for security reasons), the general case is then to put it in /usr/local/bin. This being a sort of hold all for binaries that do not realy belong to (or are designed for) the distribution.
    Henk van Velden

On 2015-09-01 04:56, Catlyon wrote:
    >
    > When I download precompiled binaries from websites, how do I install
    > them into my file system so that they can be used like my default
    > applications?

The general answer is that you have to read that binary documentation.
    Or ask here about the specific binary.

But first you have to make sure that no rpm exists for openSUSE, and
    alternatively, no rpm at all.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Without further clarification about what that binary is supposed to be compiled for (distribution, version), that is difficult to say. Must be decided for each case.

It is very uncommon to have a precompiled binary for Linux. Software (specialy when to be used for the system, contrary to a program to be used by a single user and put into one of his/her own directories like ~/bin) that does not come as RPM through the openSUSE standard repos, nor through any repos from the Open Build Service, may come
    • prebuild RPM for openSUSE version X from a web site (but that is then explicitly mentioned);
    • as a tarball (complete source ready to be build in a compressed tar file).

In the latter case there is (often) a general path to be followed to build it (explained in a README file) and this contains three steps where in the first step the system is scanned and many configuration parameters are filled in for the next step which is the real build (the third step, to be done as root, is then the install).

Thus when you have a pre-build binary, those first two steps are done. But how can you be sure that the first, configure, step is done properly when not on your, but on some other system?

But, if the binary is functioning on your system (and you trust it for security reasons), the general case is then to put it in /usr/local/bin. This being a sort of hold all for binaries that do not realy belong to (or are designed for) the distribution.
    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    On 2015-09-01 04:56, Catlyon wrote:
    >
    > When I download precompiled binaries from websites, how do I install
    > them into my file system so that they can be used like my default
    > applications?

The general answer is that you have to read that binary documentation.
    Or ask here about the specific binary.

But first you have to make sure that no rpm exists for openSUSE, and
    alternatively, no rpm at all.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

It's a "Linux" Binary, and while it can be used right out the box (it's a folder with an executable and all the binaries needed), there's no readme for installation. This is why I was wondering how to best install it.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I suppose the problem is that I cannot move the file to /usr/local/bin, even as root.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlyon View Post
    I suppose the problem is that I cannot move the file to /usr/local/bin, even as root.
    That is not a good description of what you experience. Saying that you "cannot move it" make me think all sorts of things, starting with "are your fingers broken?" You should tell (and bette show) what you are doing and how. There are miriad ways of moving files from one directory to another.

Please show facts, like the ls -l of the directory it is now and the mv statement you use, or any other info. Saying that you "cannot move it" make me think all sorts of things, starting with "are your fingers broken".
    Henk van Velden

On 2015-09-09 15:16, Catlyon wrote:

> It's a "Linux" Binary, and while it can be used right out the box (it's
    > a folder with an executable and all the binaries needed), there's no
    > readme for installation. This is why I was wondering how to best install
    > it.

Well, there are many definitions of "Linux binary", and there are many
    possibilities on how the archive is made.

Perhaps if you point us to the exact "binary from the web" that you are
    talking about, we could stop guessing and have facts ;-)

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast