[Login] GDM keyboard layout

Hi bros

I use openSUSE 13.2
GDM as displaymanager and xfce as windowsmaager
I’m using a french azerty as keyboard layout but on the login screen it’s a qwerty layout so it’s problematic

I already check that :
/var/lib/AccountsService/users/gdm

[User]
Language=fr_FR.UTF-8
XSession=
SystemAccount=true

and

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard-layout.conf

# Read and parsed by systemd-localed. It's probably wise not to edit this file
# manually too freely.
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "system-keyboard"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
        Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection

Why are you not configuring your Desktop configuration settings instead of these other places you’ve attempted? Do yo really need your special keyboard layout before the Desktop loads, eg on bootup?

In XFCE,
App Launch Button > Settings > Settings Manager > Keyboard > Layout tab > uncheck “Use system defaults” > Add button > French > ?

You’ll find a number of pre-configured layouts to choose from including "Georgian (France, AZERTY Tsakapo)

HTH,
TSU

He is talking about the login manager. That is running before the desktop is there. And before login it is unknown which user will log in, let alone which desktop she/he is going to use.

As far as I know by default GNOME3 ignores Xorg settings and is using configuration from dconf database. GDM runs as user “gdm” and configuration is stored for this user. While it is theoretically possible to set keys using dconf, I do not know exact key names or values; so the best bet would be to install gnome-control-center and use it to configure GDM settings.

Thanks but my keyboard is already in french.
And yes I need french layout during login because french and english layout are different so it’s not easy to enter my password …

So I went to Gnome, open parameters, keyboard, login screen, langage was french and layout US so I put french too, thinking “this is it”. I restart the computer and at login layout is still a qwerty … so that didn’t work even with gnome-control-center.

Hi
Is there profiles and db’s down in /etc/dconf directory? I only have Leap running at the moment and there are no entries. On 13.2 there should be a gdm?

Two place to set keyboards. First is system, done in Yast, second is personal preference done in Desktop. GDM is run prior to login so it does not know your personal pref so must use the system preference

I know that

• System keyboard layout : French
  • Desktop keyboard layout : French

Update : So I don’t know where GDM go looking for layout …

Yes I have :

╭─shark@s3c  /etc/dconf  
╰─$ ls -l * 
db:
total 8
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2171 24 avril 16:11 ibus
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 24 avril 16:11 ibus.d

profile:
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28  7 avril 22:26 ibus

My xorg conf have changed since the biginning of the thread :

╭─shark@s3c  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d  
╰─$ cat 00-keyboard.conf
# manually too freely.
Section "InputClass"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
        Option "XkbModel" "microsoftpro"
        Option "XkbVariant" "basic"
        Option "XkbOptions" "caps:capslock"
EndSection
╭─shark@s3c  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d  
╰─$ cat 00-keyboard.conf.backup 
# manually too freely.
Section "InputClass"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
        Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection

Hi
OK, so 13.2 switched from gdm to ibus, I see there is an ibus-setup program, have you tried that?

Else I would assume it would need dconf to be run as ibus user rather than gdm user. Else you can add your own settings in the ibus.d directory with a higher number.

Soory but I don’t understand what you mean ?

Hi
There is an application called ibus-setup run that from the command line to see what it does.

Else you need to add your own rules down in /etc/dconf/db/ibus.d eg 01-my-settings

Ok, so I ran ibus-setup, my keybord input here is french.
In advanced seting I just checked the option “use system keybord layout”.
Maybe that will help.

It’s strange, before checking the option “use system keybord layout” in ibus-setup, I had only french layout in keyboard layout.
But since I do that, I sign off and sign in the session (always qwerty input), a US flag appear on my task bar pannel averting my I use US qwerty input. So I put french layout back but during login session I still have qwerty input …

So I unchecked this option. My keyboard setting layout is french, my system keyboard is french, I only have french layout, but during login I still am with a qwerty.

Have a I to make my own ibus setting ?

So I checked /etc/sysconfig setting with Yast : all is put to french, I even change keybord input from the none deault to ibus.
In ibus-setup I put back the use system layout, and put 3 french layout.
But still am in qwerty at login, I don’t know what to do anymore.

GDM fix itself the keybord layout bug when I upgraded from openSUSE 13.2 to openSUSE LEAP 42.1.
Maybe there is a new version of GDM in it.