KDE Plasma 5.4 Online Accounts.

Hi everyone,

Few questions about online accounts… since 5.4 update i’ve noticed in System Settings “Online Accounts” menu icon. But it seems to me that it does… well… nothing. I can’t add new accounts, nor can i see my existing ones… Only way to add any sort of account is still via akonadi console.
Does anyone have “Online Account” working, maybe there is something broken with my setup?..
And one more question - as i can remember in Gnome Online Accounts one could setup “Corporate Account” (connecting with MS Exchange). Is it possible in KDE too?

Where exactly?
I don’t have that here.

Maybe it comes from KDE Telepathy?

But it seems to me that it does… well… nothing. I can’t add new accounts, nor can i see my existing ones…

If it is the one from KTelepathy, it might be related to this (packaging) problem.
https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=941968

Make sure you have telepathy-accounts-signon installed. It is not available in Tumbleweed yet, but you could get it from KDE:Applications.

Or maybe you miss some other KTP package. I’m not sure what’s needed as I never tried it yet, though.

Only way to add any sort of account is still via akonadi console.

KDEPIM is still KDE4 based, so its configuration module doesn’t show up in systemsettings5. Use “Configure KDE4 Applications” (systemsettings, without 5) if you have it installed, or “kcmshell4 akonadi”.
That module has been removed completely in the KF5 port though, which is not in Tumbleweed yet.

And one more question - as i can remember in Gnome Online Accounts one could setup “Corporate Account” (connecting with MS Exchange). Is it possible in KDE too?

No idea. Never used that GNOME feature, and never used MS Exchange (or “Corporate Accounts”) either.
But maybe KTelepathy would allow it.

Re. Exchange accounts: so far there’s no support in KDE/KF5, there never has been. IMHO a missing feature if you have a suite like Kontact. Evolution does deal with Exchange.

Hi guys… sorry for not checking back here for so long… anyway…
@wolfi323
Don know…maybe “system settings” is incorrect name for it, but if you open app menu and then open “Configure Desktop” applet, which has window name “System Settings” (hence my confusion), you will see there in “Personalization” block “Online Accounts”.
And when i saw “Online Account” i got flash back from Gnome env and got excited about possible MSXchange integration in kdepim and the fact that all account would be in one place… But … excitement was for nothing :)… since it doesn’t really work…yet…

The application is called “System Settings”, but openSUSE changes the menu entry name to “Configure Desktop”.

you will see there in “Personalization” block “Online Accounts”.

That’s what I wanted to know. Still, I don’t have that here.

Again, do you have KTelepathy installed?

And when i saw “Online Account” i got flash back from Gnome env and got excited about possible MSXchange integration in kdepim and the fact that all account would be in one place… But … excitement was for nothing :)… since it doesn’t really work…yet…

Yeah. It’s probably not what you imagined it to be…
If it’s the KTelepathy’s account config module, this is about chat/Instant Messaging accounts or even voice over IP/video conferencing.
See also KTp/FAQ - KDE Community Wiki

I asked a question related to this some time back
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/508787-Dropbox-account-management

This is strange… if we are running same plasma (kde) on the same base (tumbleweeg) how is it possible that i do have an entry and you don’t.

Again, do you have KTelepathy installed?

No, i do not… and these “online accounts” are not telepathy related, but the applet explicitly informs me that it is for google, owncloud etc (see pic), hence my flashback to Gnome “online accounts”.

Yeah. It’s probably not what you imagined it to be…

…story of my life… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Because I didn’t install the corresponding package?

Also, I’m not running Tumbleweed, but 13.2. I haven’t looked whether it is there in a default Tumbleweed installation…

No, i do not… and these “online accounts” are not telepathy related, but the applet explicitly informs me that it is for google, owncloud etc (see pic), hence my flashback to Gnome “online accounts”.

Hm, when I google for “systemsettings5 online accounts”, I only find bug reports against KTelepathy.
And that picture doesn’t ring a bell either.

Please run this to find out where it comes from:

grep -R "Online Accounts" /usr/share/kservices5

Then run “rpm -qf filepath” (replace “filepath” with the filename/path that grep spat out) to find what package it is in.

It’s probably “kaccounts-integration” though, as I suspect now (which I don’t have installed here).
And that is actually part of KTelepathy.
From KTp/Setting up KAccounts - KDE Community Wiki :

KAccounts integration

This is a support library, a kcm module and a daemon running in the background.

KAccounts providers

This are the providers and services that at this very moment we provide support for. For example in Facebook we support Chat, Contacts Calendar…

In that case, make sure that you also have “kaccounts-providers” installed, this contains the actual provider files.

PS: that package (kaccounts-providers) contains 4 providers at the moment: Google, Twitter, Identi.ca, and Facebook.

You are right… it is part of kaccounts-integration… and installing providers did the “trick”… although, to be honest, i really do not understant how these two are not being installed as deps of each other… i mean, what’s a point having kaccounts-integration without a providers?.. but anyway… thanks for sticking long enough with me and helping getting to the bottom of this.

PS… at this moment google is only provider :)… waiting patiently for the rest (specially owncloud and MSExchange)

Might be an oversight in the packaging…

In theory, you probably don’t necessarily need kaccounts-providers, as you or other packages could provide your/their own.
It should at least be recommended though I suppose.

PS… at this moment google is only provider :)…

Right, google is the only “provider”, but the package also contains these files in /etc/signon-ui/webkit-options.d/:
accounts.google.com.conf
api.twitter.com.conf
identi.ca.conf
[noparse]www.facebook.com.conf[/noparse]

So there is some support for the others I mentioned.
I don’t know any details though, as I never even tried to install KTp yet, not even the KDE4 version.

waiting patiently for the rest (specially owncloud and MSExchange)

No idea how likely MSExchange support is, or in what timeframe it would be added.

At least owncloud support has been added a few days ago, and should be part of 15.12 (to be released in December) then:
https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kaccounts-providers.git&a=commit&h=78f998cae87a303fa7d9c0012fb55848949ecb59
PS: The Facebook provider has been disabled, because necessary support has been removed by Facebook themselves:
https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kaccounts-providers.git&a=commit&h=d18e83a32ad8697244f94f092719cde9d47a90ad
And some services are just missing at the moment because Akonadi hasn’t been ported to Qt5 (it is now, so they probably will get reenabled soon):
https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kaccounts-providers.git&a=commit&h=0589543970fe2661364e5ad8990b0c095e672e1a

It’s been a while, but I happened to play with this today.

So in short, you need to install ktp-accounts-kcm too for this configuration module to work and allow you to create accounts like AIM, Jabber, ICQ and Yahoo Messenger.

I will add a dependency to our package, though there is a “KDE Telepathy” pattern IIANM.

Creating a Google account just crashes here though, but other should work.

I simply use Thunderbird for all my mail accounts (1 private plus 1 corporate with exchange). To be able to do that you need a small program called davmail:http://davmail.sourceforge.net
In Davmail you set up your account using the OWA address the server uses. You’ll see portnumbers used by Davmail to connect to your mail program.
In Thunderbird you setup an account where the server is called localhost en portnumber is the imap portnumber used in davmail.
Works great, also for calendar functies.

If I understand you correct will this make online accounts work? If I go to the controlpanel and select online accounts and try adding one, nothing happens.

Assume the bug has been reported. Could be nice with a fix.

Bo

Yes.

Install ktp-accounts-kcm (or the KDE Telepathy pattern), and it will work.

You need kaccounts-providers and signon-plugin-oauth2 for Google to work, and you need to uninstall libproxy1-config-kde4 to avoid the crash (not necessary on Tumbleweed though, as it has been replaced by a general libproxy1-config-kde that should also work in Plasma5).

Assume the bug has been reported. Could be nice with a fix.

Yes, it’s 953175 – kcm_kaccounts: Can't create online accounts .

I added the missing dependencies locally already, just have to submit it…

Cool! Could be nice if you could also add the depedency on khelpcenter5 (solving the bug on helpcenter does not open).

Bo

Yeah, but the question is where…
We patch KDE Frameworks to use susehelp for this like in earlier versions.
And this in turn uses different help applications depending on the desktop. khelpcenter5 is only used inside a Plasma5 session.

Also, if we install khelpcenter5 by default, there (currently) would be two Help entries in the application menu. khelpcenter5 and KDE4’s khelpcenter (which is part of kdebase4-runtime, which is always installed if a KDE4 application is installed)

Actually I intend to change susehelp to fall back to the KDE4 khelpcenter if khelpcenter5 is not installed.
And I already did this locally…

The problem here is that khelpcenter doesn’t find the KF5 manuals. So far we only patched khelpcenter5 to find KDE4’s…

And another problem I want to solve is that susehelp currently doesn’t work at all if you are not using a KDE or GNOME desktop.

That’s the main reason why I haven’t submitted my changes yet.

The dependency changes regarding the “Online Accounts” configuration module are in KDE:Applications now though, and have been forwarded to Factory.

Most critical bugs is being solved for LEAP, it is really great. I believe 42.2 will be a very solid release, unless the team upgrades all KDE packages to plasma5 (maybe that would actually solve a lot of problems, but stuff are very tested now with 42.1).

In my optics these bugs are some of the last critical ones. I believe the help bug is a pretty bad one, since new users will have even more struggle with openSUSE without the basic help functionality in the programs. Maybe we should start a discussion on the Factory list on how to solve this in the most appropriate way?

Bo