Thread: Tumbleweed Konsole no longer supports tab dragging

Question Tumbleweed Konsole no longer supports tab dragging

Use to be able to drag tabs in konsole, but with the new 15.04 konsole you can no longer do that.

If you want to detach a tab, you have to right click and select "Detach", no more dragging tabs into groups.

And since you cant drag tabs, you cant re-order your tabs anymore.

When did konsole remove tab dragging? I've been using KDE for years. I had to start using mate terminal. I blame the plasma push.

Thanks,
    -B

Default AW: Tumbleweed Konsole no longer supports tab dragging

Quote Originally Posted by brookharty View Post
    When did konsole remove tab dragging?
    When it got ported to KDE Frameworks5 in December.
    I think there were technical difficulties with that feature.
    It has been readded again recently though, dragging will be possible again in 15.08.1 which is to be released in less than two weeks.
    https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=konsole....4b43e8ef863a87
    I blame the plasma push.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with Plasma5 or its push as default desktop in Tumbleweed. Konsole has been released as KF5 based version in December already, the KDE4 version is dead since then.

Btw, KDE4's desktop was already called "Plasma" too.

Default Re: Tumbleweed Konsole no longer supports tab dragging

No, I blame the work to recode everything, the time it takes for devs to work on recoding things takes away features.

They already broke window placement in latest version of KDE, the official response was "It shouldnt have worked that way in the old version"

Old version used window name + number, newer version only uses window name. So Konsole {1} and Konsole {2} are different in old version. Newer version only sees name so you cant have multiple windows of same app auto tile.

Horrible they break legacy stuff this bad in KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by brookharty View Post
    No, I blame the work to recode everything, the time it takes for devs to work on recoding things takes away features.
    Konsole hasn't been recoded.
    This feature got lost in the port to Qt5/KF5 because of technical problems.

[QUTOE]They already broke window placement in latest version of KDE, the official response was "It shouldnt have worked that way in the old version"[/QUOTE]
    And what exactly are you talking about here?

Old version used window name + number, newer version only uses window name. So Konsole {1} and Konsole {2} are different in old version. Newer version only sees name so you cant have multiple windows of same app auto tile.
    ???
    And what are you talking about here? The taskmanager?

And don't you rather mean the other way round?
    I.e. Konsole {1} and Konsole {2} were *not* different in old version?
    Otherwise they wouldn't be grouped in the *old* version, but would be now, no?
    Btw, also the KDE4 version "only sees name" and groups by name.

Horrible they break legacy stuff this bad in KDE.
    Well, then use something else if you don't like Plasma 5.

I don't see a "horrible breakage" of legacy stuff (whatever that should be).

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And don't you rather mean the other way round?
    I.e. Konsole {1} and Konsole {2} were *not* different in old version?
    Otherwise they wouldn't be grouped in the *old* version, but would be now, no?
    Btw, also the KDE4 version "only sees name" and groups by name.
    Btw, I just tried, and different Konsole windows *are* grouped here in Plasma 5.4.0 (Konsole 15.08.0).

And another note: sometimes it's better to recode something from scratch than adding another patch/hack on top of a whole pile to fix/extend it, which also takes time away from the developers btw because more often than not things tend to break in such cases and it makes the code complicated and difficult to understand...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 09-Sep-2015 at 05:22.