Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any further progress on MATE for Tumbleweed?

Default Any further progress on MATE for Tumbleweed?

MATE on Tumbleweed appears to be still broken. When installed it does not have a menu.
    The standard 13.2 version uses the gnome-main-menu package from Novell, which by the way I love, but nothing on Tumbleweed. I've tried installing gnome-main-menu but it makes no difference.

Tas

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any further progress on MATE for Tumbleweed?

You'll probably have to describe how you're installing MATE (source, steps).
    Then, if it's determined there is a real issue you can submit to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org

BTW - I've looked at MATE on Mint and it looks like a not-as-polished version of almost any openSUSE Desktop which has YAST. At least that's my opinion as of today's MATE, it might have additional features in future versions.

TSU

I installed it when I setup Tumbleweed. I installed Mate and XFCE.

XFCE has a panel, Mate does not. Mate used to use gnome-main-menu, but now there is no panel at all.

This has been about 30 days ago. I've updated TW many times since then, but to no avail. I have also installed Gnome-Main-Menu, but it does not make a difference. I was on IRC and one of the guys there thought there may have been a compilation issue, but that was three weeks ago.

What I am not sure of, is if I've done something wrong (very likely), or if there is a bug. But I've sat on the IRC for hours, and I haven't gotten any bites.

Tas

Blog Entries

As I asked before, how did you install the mate Desktop?

On my TW (LXDE Desktop as the default Desktop), I ran the following
    Code:
    zypper in -t pattern mate
    The following is a screenshot of the result, after clicking on the app launch button on what might be called the default panel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 70tas View Post
    I installed it when I setup Tumbleweed. I installed Mate and XFCE.

XFCE has a panel, Mate does not. Mate used to use gnome-main-menu, but now there is no panel at all.

This has been about 30 days ago. I've updated TW many times since then, but to no avail. I have also installed Gnome-Main-Menu, but it does not make a difference. I was on IRC and one of the guys there thought there may have been a compilation issue, but that was three weeks ago.

What I am not sure of, is if I've done something wrong (very likely), or if there is a bug. But I've sat on the IRC for hours, and I haven't gotten any bites.

Tas
    That's a new one for me... installing more than one Desktop during an initial install.

Regardless whether that is possible or not, I would recommend force re-installing mate. I assume the following works (untried)
    Code:
    zypper in -f -t pattern mate
    TSU

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    That's a new one for me... installing more than one Desktop during an initial install.
    I often do that. But MATE is not on the install DVD, so to install it with initial setup would require adding online repos, or using the NET installer.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Thumbs up Re: Any further progress on MATE for Tumbleweed? SOLVED!!!

Tsu2:

You were right on the money. After manually installing the pattern, I now have a panel.
    So there appears to be a bug in the TW (network) installer. I chose both MATE options, and it did not install a panel. I've done this multiple times, always with the same result. Not sure if you are part of the MATE team, but that needs to be fixed. I am not sure how to contact them, as they don't seem to be monitoring the forums, and no one responds to the IRC. (Unless you are part of the team...)

Thank you so much.
    70tas

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    As I asked before, how did you install the mate Desktop?

On my TW (LXDE Desktop as the default Desktop), I ran the following
    Code:
    zypper in -t pattern mate
    The following is a screenshot of the result, after clicking on the app launch button on what might be called the default panel

Smile Re: Any further progress on MATE for Tumbleweed? Additional issues...

Tsu2:

As I wrote earlier, the install of the pattern went fine. However, I noticed some additional issues:

I ran a "zypper ref" and zypper up". I got the following conflicts:

Checking for file conflicts: ................................................................................................[error]
    Detected 3 file conflicts:

File /boot/.vmlinuz-4.1.6-3-desktop.hmac
    from install of
    kernel-desktop-4.1.6-3.2.x86_64(Main Repository (OSS))
    conflicts with file from package
    kernel-desktop-4.1.6-3.1.x86_64(@System)

File /boot/vmlinux-4.1.6-3-desktop.gz
    from install of

File /boot/vmlinuz-4.1.6-3-desktop
    from install of

File conflicts happen when two packages attempt to install files with the same name but different contents. If you continue, conflicting files will be replaced losing the previous content.
    Continue? [yes/no] (no)
    :

I replied YES.

The other issue is that there is no TWEAK tool anymore in MATE. Do you know if that is on purpose, or do I need to install another package? However, I do see that right clicking on the Menu, shows the old TWEAK icon with "Preferences" listed. And, there is no way to install plugins under the Preferences/Plugins tab.

Sorry to bug you, but you seem to know what is going on.

Thank you
    70tas

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any further progress on MATE for Tumbleweed? Additional issues...

Quote Originally Posted by 70tas View Post
    I ran a "zypper ref" and zypper up". I got the following conflicts:
    Yes, I had that "conflict". I replied "yes". And all is fine.

There are several emails about this on the factory list, and I think there's a bug report. But I don't see it as an actual issue.

As I understand it, they recompiled the same kernel (perhaps a dependency changed). The new kernel uses exactly the same file names as the old kernel. Since the last two kernels are retained, this is seen as a conflict.

The only problem I see is the last two kernels became, in effect, the last one kernel (due to the conflict). So I don't have an alternative kernel to fall back to.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Default Re: Any further progress on MATE for Tumbleweed? Additional issues...

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    There are several emails about this on the factory list, and I think there's a bug report.
    Yes:
    http://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=867595
    Has been fixed meanwhile though.

And just to note, this is of course unrelated to MATE or the installation of the MATE pattern.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast