Thread: Question About openSUSE Repositories

Default Question About openSUSE Repositories

Hey all. I'm an amateur Linux user and newcomer to openSUSE. I had a question concerning the repositories available on the openSUSE website. Not sure if I'm posting in the right section for this or not.

I'm currently using zypper to add repositories from the openSUSE website. I noticed that there are some folder pairs that are identical in name except for the fact that one of the two is suffixed by a colon. What is the difference between the repos in those two folders?

As an example, what's the difference between this Virtualization.repo and this Virtualization:openSUSE13.2.repo? The former is found is "Virtualization/" while the latter is found in "Virtualization:/". Do I need to install both to get all the packages from both?

Thanks everyone.

Default Re: Question About openSUSE Repositories

You re doing it the hardway and unless you have special needs the normal repos have most of what you need

Use Yast to add repos from the community list. Much less likely to cause you problems. Some repos may not be 100% compatible. Also if you have too many repos the process to check for updates and adding new packages will be SLOOOOW. Only add repos when you find you need a package from it and in most cases you need to at least deactivate them if they are not one of the base or community repos.

Quote Originally Posted by lostguru View Post
    Hey all. I'm an amateur Linux user and newcomer to openSUSE. I had a question concerning the repositories available on the openSUSE website. Not sure if I'm posting in the right section for this or not.

I'm currently using zypper to add repositories from the openSUSE website. I noticed that there are some folder pairs that are identical in name except for the fact that one of the two is suffixed by a colon. What is the difference between the repos in those two folders?

As an example, what's the difference between this Virtualization.repo and this VirtualizationpenSUSE13.2.repo? The former is found is "Virtualization/" while the latter is found in "Virtualization:/". Do I need to install both to get all the packages from both?

Thanks everyone.
    To put it is bit more"harsh" then gogalthorp does, I will take the same example as you do.

As long as you do not need Virtualiztion and did not decide what you need after studying the Virtalization possibilities, you do not need any of thoser repos. Keep your fingers off.

The only thing you might (and probably will) need as an extra repo besides the ones already in the list after installation is Packman.
    Henk van Velden

On 2015-09-01 01:36, lostguru wrote:
    > I noticed that
    > there are some folder pairs that are identical in name except for the
    > fact that one of the two is suffixed by a colon. What is the difference
    > between the repos in those two folders?

Nobody knows :-)

I have asked this in the past, and nobody really could give an answer.

Usually look inside with a browser, and notice that one of the two has
    less versions or old ones. So probably some one changed mind and created
    another instead of renaming.

No, you should never need both.
    Otherwise, the fewer the better.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You re doing it the hardway and unless you have special needs the normal repos have most of what you need

Use Yast to add repos from the community list. Much less likely to cause you problems. Some repos may not be 100% compatible. Also if you have too many repos the process to check for updates and adding new packages will be SLOOOOW. Only add repos when you find you need a package from it and in most cases you need to at least deactivate them if they are not one of the base or community repos.
    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    To put it is bit more"harsh" then gogalthorp does, I will take the same example as you do.

As long as you do not need Virtualiztion and did not decide what you need after studying the Virtalization possibilities, you do not need any of thoser repos. Keep your fingers off.

The only thing you might (and probably will) need as an extra repo besides the ones already in the list after installation is Packman.
    Got it. Good to know.

I currently need to setup a Virtual Machine for KVM to host Windows XP SP3. However, I'm currently unable to do so. Selecting the "Create Virtual Machines" option in Applications > System > Virtualization starts the process temporarily (and asks for password authentication, which I give), but nothing happens after that and the process goes away. Selecting Virtual Machine Manager in that same menu does the same thing as YaST > Virtualization > Create Virtual Machine for Xen and KVM, and opens up the manager, where I'm told that KVM is not available. I have already Installed Hypervisor and Tools and restarted the computer before this. Googling brought me to a few fixes where they used zypper to import the previously mentioned packages, so I went to do so but got confused at that point.

Unfortunately, even after trying out both of the previously mentioned repos, KVM was still not available. I will probably just use Xen instead.

Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    I have asked this in the past, and nobody really could give an answer.

Usually look inside with a browser, and notice that one of the two has
    less versions or old ones. So probably some one changed mind and created
    another instead of renaming.
    That's pretty odd. Maybe someone made an unnoticed naming error and didn't want to break any existing processes that used either folder name.

Thanks all for the help!

Xen and KVM are a bear to setup why not use VirtualBox it is much easier to setup and configure.

And please try to avoid adding too many repos it will get you into trouble

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Xen and KVM are a bear to setup why not use VirtualBox it is much easier to setup and configure.

And please try to avoid adding too many repos it will get you into trouble
    I have already removed both repos since neither ended up working, no worries haha.

Our college engineering team has always used Xen in the past. Our openSUSE computer recently broke down after two RAID 5 drives failed, so I've been reviving it. Xen and KVM essentially come with the installation, so I'd prefer to just stick with what I've got, KISS principle and all. I also prefer either over VirtualBox slightly.

Xen ended up being simple to get working. Windows XP is installing onto the virtual HD just fine. Thanks for the help everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by lostguru View Post
    I have already removed both repos since neither ended up working, no worries haha.

Our college engineering team has always used Xen in the past. Our openSUSE computer recently broke down after two RAID 5 drives failed, so I've been reviving it. Xen and KVM essentially come with the installation, so I'd prefer to just stick with what I've got, KISS principle and all. I also prefer either over VirtualBox slightly.

Xen ended up being simple to get working. Windows XP is installing onto the virtual HD just fine. Thanks for the help everyone!
    Then yourt real problem seems to be with Xen, etc. Thus you better start a new thread in the Virtualization forum with a good title. This to draw the attention of othet Xen users.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

On Tue 01 Sep 2015 11:46:01 PM CDT, gogalthorp wrote:

Xen and KVM are a bear to setup why not use VirtualBox it is much easier
    to setup and configure.

And please try to avoid adding too many repos it will get you into
    trouble

Hi
    I've found kvm (install a few packages, ensure virtualization is set in
    BIOS) a breeze to setup as well as using virt-manager. No building of
    kernel modules and other bits and pieces after a kernel update.

I though Xen was on the way out? I also hear boxes is pretty good?

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel
    3.12.44-52.10-default If you find this post helpful and are logged into
    the web interface, please show your appreciation and click on the star
    below... Thanks!