Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Unable to Find or Download Repos

  1. #1

    Default Unable to Find or Download Repos

    Whenever I try to search for or download software using Apper or Zypper, I get the following error:
    Empty destination in URI: hd:///?device=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-20001020000060804-part2

    Any help?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,345
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Unable to Find or Download Repos

    Quote Originally Posted by Catlyon View Post
    Whenever I try to search for or download software using Apper or Zypper, I get the following error:
    Empty destination in URI: hd:///?device=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-20001020000060804-part2

    Any help?
    That's the USB (or other device) that you used to install.

    Either plug it in, or disable it.

    To disable, use Yast --> Software Repositories

    Select the line containing the url that you show above. Uncheck the "enabled" box. Save the results, and you are done.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,853

    Default Re: Unable to Find or Download Repos

    That is the device you installed fom. You do not need it anymore. Go to YaST > Software > Repository Management, select that repo and uncheck the Enable box below. Finish.
    Last edited by hcvv; 31-Aug-2015 at 10:52.
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4

    Default Re: Unable to Find or Download Repos

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    That's the USB (or other device) that you used to install.

    Either plug it in, or disable it.

    To disable, use Yast --> Software Repositories

    Select the line containing the url that you show above. Uncheck the "enabled" box. Save the results, and you are done.
    Thank you, total OpenSUSE noob here.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,345
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Unable to Find or Download Repos

    Quote Originally Posted by Catlyon View Post
    Thank you, total OpenSUSE noob here.
    Some perspective. A couple of months ago, I installed Mageia 5 (just for testing). A while later, it wanted to do some update. Then it asked me to insert a particular CD. I didn't have any CD. So I went to the update manager, and looked at the install sources. And there were two CDs listed there. I disabled both, and then the updates went through.

    So other distros have similar issues. The experience with this on opensuse helped me look in the right place to fix it.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,853

    Default Re: Unable to Find or Download Repos

    Quote Originally Posted by Catlyon View Post
    Thank you, total OpenSUSE noob here.
    But a little bit less a noob now. That is why the forums exist, to help and teach.
    Henk van Velden

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    25,547

    Default Re: Unable to Find or Download Repos

    On 2015-08-31 20:16, nrickert wrote:

    > So other distros have similar issues. The experience with this on
    > opensuse helped me look in the right place to fix it.


    I wonder if we could write some feature request to have this "repo"
    flagged as optional, and have zyyper tools handle it. Then we could vote
    for it, with the help from some stats as one of the most asked questions ;-)

    --
    Cheers / Saludos,

    Carlos E. R.

    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,345
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Unable to Find or Download Repos

    Quote Originally Posted by robin_listas View Post
    I wonder if we could write some feature request to have this "repo"
    flagged as optional, and have zyyper tools handle it.
    Well, obviously yes it is possible to make a feature request.

    I would probably vote for that. I tend to leave the install repo (USB) active for a few days after installation, then disable it. If I later want to install something that is probably on the DVD, I might enable, install, disable. But it would be convenient to have it auto-enabled only when plugged in.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    24,853

    Default Re: Unable to Find or Download Repos

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Well, obviously yes it is possible to make a feature request.

    I would probably vote for that. I tend to leave the install repo (USB) active for a few days after installation, then disable it. If I later want to install something that is probably on the DVD, I might enable, install, disable. But it would be convenient to have it auto-enabled only when plugged in.
    I am not sure about the details, but if I remember correctly, the install device is disabled after installation in certain cases (or it was in earlier times in certain cases). I am pretty sure that when doing a DVD (earlier CD) installation (not from a live CD/DVD) it was disabled. So it can be done (of course), but there mighjt be reasons for not doing it in certain cases of installation.

    A case where I can understand it won't, would be an on-line upgrade (by switching repos). And because many of us know and post the solution to this problem without asking further questions, we mostly do not know how the several OPs installed.
    Henk van Velden

  10. #10

    Default Re: Unable to Find or Download Repos


    It would appear that on Aug 31, Carlos E. R. did say:

    > On 2015-08-31 20:16, nrickert wrote:
    >
    > > So other distros have similar issues. The experience with this on
    > > opensuse helped me look in the right place to fix it.

    >
    > I wonder if we could write some feature request to have this "repo"
    > flagged as optional, and have zyyper tools handle it. Then we could vote
    > for it, with the help from some stats as one of the most asked questions ;-)


    I'm thinking it really needs to be set up for the newbie who's trying Linux
    on a stand alone, or dial-up only machine.

    But when the repo is "installed" it shouldn't be enabled by default anymore.
    Instead, if both zypper and yast could, when they don't detect a broadband
    connection to the online repos. Simply provide a helpful one liner CLI,
    to enable the 'on disk' repo.

    And likewise, if the 'on disk' repo is enabled, but not found, then the
    error message could include a one line command, to disable it.
    Just a thought.

    --
    JtWdyP


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •