KWalletManager Freezes

Hi,

I’ve recently installed openSUSE 13.2 32bit and upgraded to KDE Plasma 5.4.0. I want to disable the KWallet but when I start the application it freezes completely. The whole system gets stuck for a couple of minutes ans I have KWalletManager to force quit eventually. The system on which it runs is an IBM ThinkPad T60 which is not the fastest machine any more, but quite decent.

My question is if this is a known issue and if someone knows how to solve this,

Greets, Jòn

Why do you want to disable kwallet?

Also, is this about KDE4’s kwalletmanager or the KF5 version?

kwallet5 will ask you whether you want to migrate the KDE4 wallets on first start. Maybe that window is hidden by other windows and is the reason for the application to “freeze”?
Also if it has not been used before, kwallet (both 4 and 5) will ask you to configure it. The same applies here, maybe that window is hidden by other windows.

I don’t have such a problem here.

PS: You don’t need to run kwalletmanager to disable kwallet.
You can do it in systemsettings (“Configure Desktop”) as well. Use systemsettings5 for kwallet5, but I think you’d still need to have kwalletmanager5 installed in that case, which is only available from KDE:Applications.

Thanks for your answer. I have installed openSUSE tumbleweed to make sure that I only have Plasma 5 packages and a clean system but the KWalletManager still freezes. The screen opens, but when I press one of the menus: File, Settings or Help or when I try to close it, it gets stuck. I can live with it but it’s quite annoying. Maybe it’s because of my 32bit system.

Well, that’s KDE4’s kwalletmanager then. Tumbleweed doesn’t have the KF5 version yet.

The screen opens, but when I press one of the menus: File, Settings or Help or when I try to close it, it gets stuck. I can live with it but it’s quite annoying. Maybe it’s because of my 32bit system.

Well, I have no problem with kwalletmanger here on my 64bit 13.2 system

I’ll try in my 32bit Tumbleweed VM in the evening, although I don’t think that it would be a 32bit specific issue anyway.

I do see something similar to what you describe when I run kwalletmanager5 in KDE4, but that’s probably because I have no Wallet (I cancelled the migration). At least most of the menu entries don’t work, although it doesn’t get stuck.
Creating a new wallet “fixes” the menu entries (File->New Wallet…), can you try that?
(A different user which only uses Plasma5 doesn’t have this problem)

But again, you should be able to disable kwallet in systemsettings too. See my previous post.
And if you already disabled kwallet, that might explain why kwalletmanager is not working.

Still, I see no reason to do so. If you are annoyed by having to enter the wallet password, just set an empty one, or install/setup pam_kwallet.
If you don’t plan to use kwallet anyway, an empty password should not matter even if you are paranoid about security. (Personally, I’m actively using kwallet with an empty password since KDE3 times 12 years ago… :stuck_out_tongue: , as credential store for mainly KMail/Akonadi and Konqueror, my main web browser).

And as I wrote already too, kwallet will ask you to setup the wallet when you first start it (running kwalletmanager will of course start it). Maybe it waits for your decision, but the window is below other windows.

I’ve tried now, and kwalletmanager is working fine there too.

I can reproduce your problem when I disable kwallet though, not only in Tumbleweed/32bit but also in 13.2/64bit (running KDE4).
Apparently kwalletmanager tries to start kwalletd over and over again, which fails because it is disabled.

But the KWallet settings in systemsettings (“Configure KDE4 Applications” in Tumbleweed) still works.
So you can enable kwallet again there or via “kcmshell4 kwalletconfig” or by removing the line “Enabled=false” from ~/.kde4/share/config/kwalletrc.

There are already bug reports about this, btw:
348079 – kwallet manager unresponsive upon unchecking "Enable KDE Wallet subsystem"
327086 – When disabling kwallet in system settings while kwalletmanager is running the latter gets disfunctional

So, to sum it up: Yes, kwalletmanager does not work if kwallet is disabled. And that’s a known “problem”.
But then, why would you want to use kwalletmanager when kwallet is disabled anyway?

Btw, this is fixed in the KF5 version, which is part of KDE Applications 15.08 (should be available in Tumbleweed soon too, and is in KDE:Applications already).
kwalletmanager5 tells the user that kwalletd is disabled and asks whether it should enable it (and quits if you say no), instead of “freezing”.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies! The first time I installed openSUSE I did not format my /home partition I used with an other Linux distribution. There were still some old Kwallet files left. I made a backup of that partition and completely wiped my disk. From now on it works fine and I decided to enable the wallet. And I get the freezing behavior when I uncheck “Enable the KDE wallet subsystem” but that’s a known bug I see now.

Thanks again for the replies and I will leave the wallet enabled and everything keeps working fine.