Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: how to install google chrome browser AGAIN

  1. #1

    Default how to install google chrome browser AGAIN

    Hi All
    Someone showed us how to install google chrome with suse 13.2,
    I did it and it worked, but I forgot to write it down.
    .
    Can someone please resend the instructionsa ???

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: how to install google chrome browser AGAIN

    Quote Originally Posted by wa6mbz_bb View Post
    Hi All
    Someone showed us how to install google chrome with suse 13.2,
    I did it and it worked, but I forgot to write it down.
    .
    Can someone please resend the instructionsa ???
    install google's PGP key to avoid key warnings
    Code:
    wget https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
    sudo rpm --import linux_signing_key.pub
    Add chrome's repository and use zypper or yast to install
    for 64bit OS
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64 google
    sudo zypper in google-chrome-stable
    for 32bit OS
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/i386 google
    sudo zypper in  google-chrome-stable

  3. #3

    Default Re: how to install google chrome browser AGAIN

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    install google's PGP key to avoid key warnings
    Code:
    wget https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub
    sudo rpm --import linux_signing_key.pub
    Add chrome's repository and use zypper or yast to install
    for 64bit OS
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64 google
    sudo zypper in google-chrome-stable
    for 32bit OS
    Code:
    sudo zypper ar http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/i386 google
    sudo zypper in  google-chrome-stable
    Problem: google-chrome-stable-47.0.2526.106-1.i386 requires libX11.so.6, but this requirement cannot be provided.

    I am running OpenSUSE 12.1


    Code:
    Linux Hostname 3.1.10-1.16-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 27 05:21:40 UTC 2012 (d016078) i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    AlanVM:/home/user # lsb_release -a
    LSB Version:    n/a
    Distributor ID: SUSE LINUX
    Description:    openSUSE 12.1 (i586)
    Release:        12.1
    Codename:       Asparagus

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: how to install google chrome browser AGAIN

    Quote Originally Posted by justingoldberg View Post
    Problem: google-chrome-stable-47.0.2526.106-1.i386 requires libX11.so.6, but this requirement cannot be provided.

    I am running OpenSUSE 12.1


    Code:
    Linux Hostname 3.1.10-1.16-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 27 05:21:40 UTC 2012 (d016078) i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    AlanVM:/home/user # lsb_release -a
    LSB Version:    n/a
    Distributor ID: SUSE LINUX
    Description:    openSUSE 12.1 (i586)
    Release:        12.1
    Codename:       Asparagus
    ah man your OS is way outdated you need xorg-x11-libX11 but all official online repo's for 12.x have been taken down
    post your repo list
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    in the meantime you can try this file
    http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/op...3.1.2.i586.rpm
    do
    Code:
    zypper in http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/opensuse/distribution/12.1/repo/oss/suse/i586/xorg-x11-libX11-7.6-23.1.2.i586.rpm
    you really should update to 13.x or 42.1

  5. #5

    Default Re: how to install google chrome browser AGAIN

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    ah man your OS is way outdated you need xorg-x11-libX11 but all official online repo's for 12.x have been taken down
    post your repo list
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    in the meantime you can try this file
    http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/op...3.1.2.i586.rpm
    do
    Code:
    zypper in http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/opensuse/distribution/12.1/repo/oss/suse/i586/xorg-x11-libX11-7.6-23.1.2.i586.rpm
    you really should update to 13.x or 42.1

    Thanks, I installed chrome 18. I found it with this query in google. Much much quicker than an endless upgrade cycle.

    google-chrome-stable_current_i386.rpm "index of" 2013

    I'll get around to updating SUSE, someday.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: how to install google chrome browser AGAIN

    You wore just missing a library you should still be able to install the latest chrome
    or better yet get Firefox static build from mozilla
    it's not installable just unpack the tarball somewhere and run it
    the last esr
    https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/...5.2esr.tar.bz2
    or the latest 43.0.3
    https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/...43.0.3.tar.bz2

    to get full multimedia with firefox you still need packman and they still have the 12.1 repo online
    http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/pa...openSUSE_12.1/
    to add it just do as root
    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_12.1/ packman
    zypper dup --from packmen

  7. #7

    Default Re: how to install google chrome browser AGAIN

    Have you tried just downloading and installing the rpm?
    https://www.google.com/chrome/browse...top/index.html

  8. #8

    Default Re: how to install google chrome browser AGAIN

    Quote Originally Posted by wa6mbz_bb View Post
    Hi All
    Someone showed us how to install google chrome with suse 13.2,
    I did it and it worked, but I forgot to write it down.
    .
    Can someone please resend the instructionsa ???

    https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/g...ent_x86_64.rpm

    Have anyone tried using this above url. Please let me know if this works.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,279
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: how to install google chrome browser AGAIN

    Be aware that using any(well, later than about 2007) Linux kernel earlier than approx Oct 2016 makes you vulnerable to instant and immediate exploitatation using "Dirty COW" techniques.

    First screenshot installing VNC server using YAST
    https://dirtycow.ninja/

    And the slide deck to my presentation to a local UG on this and other contemporary attacks summer of 2016
    http://bit.ly/2iarkvY

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Little Exuma, Bahamas
    Posts
    699

    Default Re: how to install google chrome browser AGAIN

    Been using http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/rpm/stable/x86_64 through several openSUSE versions with no difficulties.
    MS user 1988-2008, Linux user 1998-present, openSUSE user since 2004
    (The first computer I used had a punch card reader)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •