Thread: Is there an application that let's me stream video across other devices on my network?

Default Is there an application that let's me stream video across other devices on my network?

I used to do this on Vuze but unfortunately the Linux version does not support it. I have an Xbox 360 I'd like to stream movies and tv shows to like I used to before. If there is no applaction is there a way for it to be done at all? Maybe another torrent client? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Is there an application that let's me stream video across other devices on my network?

I used to do this on Vuze but unfortunately the Linux version does not support it.
    are you sure, afaik Vuze is a java app and platform independent, I've never streamed video's but I think vlc should be able to do it
    https://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/

Default Re: Is there an application that let's me stream video across otherdevices on my network?

On 2015-08-25 03:36, Downwitdvp wrote:
    >
    > I used to do this on Vuze but unfortunately the Linux version does not
    > support it. I have an Xbox 360 I'd like to stream movies and tv shows to
    > like I used to before. If there is no applaction is there a way for it
    > to be done at all? Maybe another torrent client? Thanks in advance.
    >
    >

Perhaps kodi?

Code:
    kodi    Kodi™ (formerly known as XBMC™) is an award-winning free and
    open source (GPL) software media center for playing videos, music,
    pictures, games, and more. Kodi runs on Linux, OS X, Windows, iOS, and
    Android, featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and
    remote controls. It allows users to play and view most videos, music,
    podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage
    media and the internet. Our forums and Wiki are bursting with knowledge and
    help for the new user right up to the application developer. We also have
    helpful Facebook, Google+, Twitter and Youtube pages.

http://kodi.tv/about/

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is there an application that let's me stream video across other devices on my network?

Before anyone can suggest anything, it would be useful if you could clarify whether you truly understand what streaming is and whether you might only be interested in an app that serves videos.

Serving multimedia (including videos) can be simple to moderately complex. The key characteristic to "simple" serving multimedia is that the video must be downloaded entirely before the file will start playing. Typically, the server can be genric and does not have to support any particular type of protocol.

On the other hand, streaming multimedia means that the client machine only needs to receive the first few pieces of a file before starting to play it. As the file is played the remainder of the file downloads in the background, hopefully fast enough so that playing the file does not have to pause. For this to happen the server must support serving streaming which includes the specific streaming protocol. The client "viewing" app must also support the specific protocol.

So, as you should see... Streaming is more complex with requirements that simple file sharing or other common ordinary file downloading doesn't have. If the file is very small, then streaming is probably unnecessary because the pause before the file can be played is very short. But for very large files (hundred of megabytes or gigabytes), this can be an unpleasant experience so streaming technology is nice. Sites like YouTube can serve very long videos, so streaming becoming required.

So, what are the sizes of your files and do you really want/need streaming?

TSU

Default Re: Is there an application that let's me stream video across otherdevices on my network?

On 2015-08-26 20:16, tsu2 wrote:

> On the other hand, streaming multimedia means that the client machine
    > only needs to receive the first few pieces of a file before starting to
    > play it. As the file is played the remainder of the file downloads in
    > the background, hopefully fast enough so that playing the file does not
    > have to pause. For this to happen the server must support serving
    > streaming which includes the specific streaming protocol. The client
    > "viewing" app must also support the specific protocol.

I have done this with apache as the server (pentium iV laptop), and the
    client a cheap Android tablet running VLC.

As simple as that.

Just tap on the web page listing the files, and automatically the
    browser in android offers to open with VLC.

However, using firefox in Linux, instead it downloads the video in full,
    then passes it to VLC. Today, it opens instantly instead, inside FF.

The server is the same, but the client requests it differently.

video/x-msvideo

Using the internal FF player, unsure which.

--
    Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
    (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Quote Originally Posted by Downwitdvp View Post
    I used to do this on Vuze but unfortunately the Linux version does not support it. I have an Xbox 360 I'd like to stream movies and tv shows to like I used to before. If there is no applaction is there a way for it to be done at all? Maybe another torrent client? Thanks in advance.
    I don't use vuze and I don't have an xbox 360. But I question your claim that the linux version does not support media streaming, which is done by means of the Media Server Plugin(?). This article (which is quite old) suggests that it is (or was) supported on linux. Vuze is available for opensuse in at least one repository.

So, maybe you could back up a bit and be more specific about what you have tried and where you got stuck?